Remember the six million .

7 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I've no idea.

I was talking about the world at large! 😕

I apologise for the misunderstanding. 

10 hours ago, L00b said:

Around 30 years ago, a classmate of mine brought in a vintage/period medical book documenting Nazi camp 'medical' experiments, in the context of our WWII curriculum. I can't remember if it was German made during the war, or a French/US compendium made shortly after the war. But it was that old, and covering that subject. With photos.

To this day, out of every medium (movie, documentary, Liveleak-style video, photos, etc) or situation (hunting, first aid rendering, etc) and regardless of the purpose (eg schlock-gore/-horror stuff for entertainment, documenting/history, etc), that I have ever seen or lived, it is the only thing that I have ever seen, that made me physically sick. I came literally within seconds of barfing my lunch after a dozen pages, and it took a lot of effort (and fresh air) to keep it down. I still remember it quite vividly all those years on. Shocking is not strong enough, by very far. It was well beyond shocking.

Atrocities does not begin to describe it. And they are not unimaginable, regrettably. For Jews (and many other deemed 'sub humans'), there were much, much worse ways to go, than gas or firing squad. People should never forget. And deniers, never be left to propagate their ignorant venom.

That sounds horrendous and has obviously left a lasting impression. 

10 minutes ago, janie48 said:

That sounds horrendous and has obviously left a lasting impression. 

Personal experience is much more profound than transient opinion on social media.

A friend of mine was the only child of a couple who escaped Vienna in 1938 when Austria became the Anschluss. The rest of her family was not so lucky and were all murdered in Dachau and Buchenwald.

When her parents died in the mid 90s she was left with no living relatives and went through years of depression as a result. Yet another victim of the Nazis, 60 years later.

It is so important that we never forget.

9 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Personal experience is much more profound than transient opinion on social media.

The problem is that personal experience fades through many different natural causes (generational pass-over, increasingly-fragmented families, increasing migration rates), and misuse of social media accelerates that fading.

Though not in Holocaust territory, my family on my mother's side sufferred from both Imperial and Nazi rule between 1870 and 1945. There are still remnants to this day (land parcels in the family for generations 'acquired' by local families, when my grandfather and his family were forcefully evicted to unoccupied France in 1941; contested when they returned yet still not solved 70+ years on).

We have very long memories, in my neck of the woods. Generations of L00b family dogs have been eating from swastika-emblazoned porcelain plates (made in Germany 1941) since 1945, and still presently do. They're all that were left in the family home, when my grandfathered and his family returned in 1945.

Doesn't mean holding a grudge with (modern day) Germans at all. But it does mean keeping a beady eye on revisionists, deniers and other assorted nationalist and jingoistic rabble rousers à la LePen.

Edited by L00b

13 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

A friend of mine was the only child of a couple who escaped Vienna in 1938 when Austria became the Anschluss. The rest of her family was not so lucky and were all murdered in Dachau and Buchenwald.

When her parents died in the mid 90s she was left with no living relatives and went through years of depression as a result. Yet another victim of the Nazis, 60 years later.

It is so important that we never forget.

I think the waves of the Second World War go further than that. We had thousands of troops, millions probably, around the globe who handed back their rifle and told to go back to civvy street having seen the most unimaginable horrors. No follow up with mental health professionals. Given the impact the war on terror has had on this country with a fraction of the numbers it amazes me how the worldfunctioned post-war. It might explain, in a round about way, why we are how we are as a society.

I had a friend who lived on Collegiate Crescent .I met her when I did work on her large stone house. She would only open the door just a few inches when I asked for water etc, After a couple of weeks I established a bond and she invited me into the Kitchen, We talked and she apologised for her un friendly original behaviour , over the weeks she told me her story of being in the concentration camps in Germany and Poland ,she had a number tattoo on her arm , When she was  a very young girl her father was a prominent university lecturer in Berlin , She told me that one night a gang of locals smashed all their windows  and the gestapo took them all away ,she was split up from her family. and never saw her parents or brother again .

She explained that it was the working people who turned on her family first and that had lead to her being very wary when working people attended her property . She became an Architect and her future husband became a doctor in Sheffield .

While working at her house some twait shot a pellet at her while she was playing the piano in the front lounge ,If I could have caught that barstuard I would have swung for him .

We remained friends for a few years after that , I will never forgot Mrs W--t--s  .

15 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

From what I've read it is rising and this could be as a result of the rise of social media where fake news and far-right conspiracy theories have been able to attract a wider audience.

And yes, large parts of the Islamic world also have holocaust denial as a central tenet of their antisemitism.

My Bold=

Your actually wrong there because they don’t deny it happened......

13 minutes ago, mafya said:

Your actually wrong there because they don’t deny it happened......

Holocaust denial is rife in many Arab countries, particularly those in conflict with Israel.

29 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Holocaust denial is rife in many Arab countries, particularly those in conflict with Israel.

And Turkey .

On a thread about the horrors of anti-semitism, are people who claim to know better going to make it an islamaphobia thread instead?

10 minutes ago, woodview said:

On a thread about the horrors of anti-semitism, are people who claim to know better going to make it an islamaphobia thread instead?

Maybe you could point out the Islamaphobic posts for us as I can't see any.

52 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Maybe you could point out the Islamaphobic posts for us as I can't see any.

On a thread that is supposed to be about holocaust day, remembering people killed in genocidal acts in and since WW2, you have made a comment criticizing unknown posters for not mentioning communist deaths in the holocaust and then gone on to tell us about 'large parts of the Muslim world having holocaust denial as a central tenet' and it being 'rife in the arab world' (whatever that is)

Maybe tell the relatives of the Muslim victims of genocide at Srebenica about your thoughts? Holocaust day is supposed to be remembering those too.

This thread and the other thread, which had to be quickly closed, are derailed instantly by people with axes to grind. Seems some people are more interested in using it as a handy weapon, than rembering it for what it is.

It is supposed to be about a day of remembrance for ALL victims of hatred and genocide. I'd suggest being more respectful, and keep the finger pointing against any 'large parts' of any religious community to yourself.