Litter on Hazel barrow Cres Jordanthorpe

On 27/01/2019 at 09:26, carosio said:

I assume responsibility for it outside my own gates, and when necessary beyond. Do you?

Good question/challenge. 

It’s only litter around where you live or work if you walk over it and leave it there. 

Pick it up - someone else may have dropped it or it’s blown out of/off something. 

Elsewhere in Europe, it is the householder’s/business owner’s responsibility to clear up the pavement/yard adjacent to the premises. 

Our standards are so low that this does not happen and we risk being ankle deep in litter. 

Personally, I pick it up on my way home with the dog.  It goes in someone else’s bin as I pass or in my bin, I wash my hands.  I’ve been doing this for years.  Maybe others will join me - I have to be selective, of course, but I pass no end of houses where their pavement, verge is full of litter and no-one else, depresssingly, is prepared to do anything about it. 

Civic and community pride died ages ago, it seems.  

well Normanton springs is like the forgotten land ,linley lane Normanton hill down bottom of dyke vale    its everywhere

Yes, obviously I meant assuming responsibility in clearing it up.

I passed Hazel Barrow the other day and it does look bad in the area, although no worse than many others I could name.

You see houses with nice frontages, a posh car on the driveway all let down by litter/broken glass strewn outside on the pavement. All it takes is a few minutes to tidy it, what goes through their heads I struggle to imagine.

Yes carosio  do.  Did you think I would have posted  such a comment if the outside of my house looked like a tip?

1 hour ago, scousemouse said:

Yes carosio  do.  Did you think I would have posted  such a comment if the outside of my house looked like a tip?

I was actually responding to another post but somehow forgot to click the quote button!

On 27/01/2019 at 06:58, OPEN BORDERS said:

The litter problem on our streets in every area, in every town and city only seems to have started since - recycling and fortnightly bin collections.

Rubbish!  (no pun intended)  

There's been a litter problem for as long as I can remember - and that's over 50 years.  It's not a "litter" problem as such, it's a people problem.  It's low-lives, that have not been brought up with any respect for people or property, that cause it.  That's why it's a bigger problem in the poorer parts of the city.  

I don't think fortnightly bin collections are helping - but that's a mere drop in the ocean.  The real problem is a social one that has been with us since time immemorial.

SCC housing dept will if you ask remove all litter,or ask your local tara and they will deal with the matter,in fact many taras offer free skips to make there area rubbish free,so it may be best if you report your problems to both these,then ask people if they will help and the tara will then help you to help your area,this applies to nearly all council areas,in lowedges the housing team clean up litter and any problems just report to the local offices,same with other areas.

just seen on page one about taras not doing work in there areas,it doesnt help that they recieve the same levy payment from SCC as 20 years ago,who else gets the same allowance,but dont call us all the same,we at greenhill/bradway inc lowedges,do a annual festival,provide children dance training,day trips,pie/pea evenings,easter childrens partys,football training,a xmas market,bingo twice a week,a mother/toddler group,run a garden area,work with the lunchion club and help the food bank,run childrens xmas partys ,run pumpkin making days and halloween partys,these are not all of what we do,but its hardly little,we also run and work with batemoor and jordanthorpe tara to run a huge firework/bonfire event free for our area,but as i say our income is the same now as twenty years ago from SCC,but we do bids to the lottery to make up the short fall,remember taras can only do more with more volunteers and we do our best .