NI contributions

I understand that NI contributions are normally calculated  as a percentage of an employee’s salary. I have recently discovered that it is possible to make voluntary class 3 contributions (up until a certain date) where an individual has been out of work or not met the threshold for paying contributions in order to increase their number of qualifying years which count towards your state pension. 

Does anyone how these contributions are calculated where an individual hasn’t worked for a period and so therefore cannot be based on salary?

To find out if you can pay look up the following:

The Government  website "Voluntary National Insurance"  here

The Pensions Advisory Service "Voluntary National Insurance" has a telephone helpline for here.

If you are allowed, it's about £14.25 per week for Class 3 for gaps in the last 6 years.

It is my understanding that the amount you pay for missing years is due to increase in April, so try and sort it out before then. 

Apparently if you go to the hmrc site and get a personal pension forecast, you can get a breakdown for every year too. 

11 hours ago, Lex Luthor said:

It is my understanding that the amount you pay for missing years is due to increase in April, so try and sort it out before then. 

Apparently if you go to the hmrc site and get a personal pension forecast, you can get a breakdown for every year too. 

Thanks very much

1 hour ago, Sheffield87 said:

Thanks very much

Go here and check your record= https://www.gov.uk/check-national-insurance-record

it also tells you how much you need to make any non full years count. I have just paid towards 6 years where I had gaps in the contributions.....