Plus net BB-silly way of doing  business.

I looked online yesterday at the various BB deals.

Plus net were doing 12 month BB for £18.99 per month, with a £75 cash back, making the deal £12.75. Oh, here we go. What is required for the costumer to get the £75 back I thought.

I phoned them today and asked. The reply was, "Once you have signed up you have to claim the £75 back. We then send you a cheque".

"I said, "Why don't you just deduct the the £75 and put the price out there at £12.74"?

It's just the way we do things" he said.

I explained that I would have been interested, but I was not prepared to faff about, and am not interested.

They could have had me as a customer. Put your cards on the table!

My guess is ultimately they would be hoping the customer failed at one of the claiming hurdles-not claiming on time, or losing the cheque etc.

1 hour ago, Janus said:

My guess is ultimately they would be hoping the customer failed at one of the claiming hurdles-not claiming on time, or losing the cheque etc.

It is not even that.

Many people just never get round to chasing things like this up and when pricing their deals they factor this into their pricing. If they automatically made the refund then the price offered to you would be higher.

Another way to look at it is to take the deal, claim your £75 back and smile, because all those customers who couldn't be asred to claim theirs back are subsidising your broadband. This kind of deal actually gives you more choice, not less! 😀

It’s not just Plusnet that use this type of inducement.  £75 cash back is worth having and hopefully new customers are savvy enough to make sure that they receive the remuneration when it is due. 

Janus - I read your other post about low usage.  Plusnet used to do such packages. I became a customer many years ago and can recall having various legacy products. I was paying as much (if not more) for broadband then than I am at present, even though I now have unlimited FTC.  

Even with line rental added on I feel that a broadband connection is great value for money. I am sure that it has the potential to almost pay for itself when you factor in the ability to shop around for best prices, pay bills online, save on transport costs etc. It’s great to be able to listen to music whenever you like, totally free, watch catch up tv/YouTube, chat online, educate yourself and lots more besides. Broadband is fabulous and worth every penny IMHO. 

23 hours ago, Janus said:

I looked online yesterday at the various BB deals.

Plus net were doing 12 month BB for £18.99 per month, with a £75 cash back, making the deal £12.75. Oh, here we go. What is required for the costumer to get the £75 back I thought.

I phoned them today and asked. The reply was, "Once you have signed up you have to claim the £75 back. We then send you a cheque".

"I said, "Why don't you just deduct the the £75 and put the price out there at £12.74"?

It's just the way we do things" he said.

I explained that I would have been interested, but I was not prepared to faff about, and am not interested.

They could have had me as a customer. Put your cards on the table!

It's very specifically done that way because some people will sign up for the deal but then never request the cheque or fail to cash it.

Unless the other delays are better than £12.75 and make sure you claim it.

You have £75 lump sum up front instead of £4 a month or whatever.

Make sure you work it out as total cost over the full contracted term