Buying a class S and N car/van

I am wanting to buy a van in the Spring/Summer, but I like risk and I am hoping to buy a damaged one.

Anyone tried it, where can I buy one from? Not too badly damaged though, more cosmetic, hopefully.

You could get one from eBay ,Facebook ,gumtree. Etc 

4 hours ago, rudds1 said:

You could get one from eBay ,Facebook ,gumtree. Etc 

I do look on ebay, but would it be the insurance company selling them or the owner? Perhaps the insurance companies just invite local garages to bid?

They normally go to auction. If you like risk and either have lots of knowledge or money to burn, you could try one of those.

Most insurance companies send them to Copart, you need to be trade to buy from there I think?

Might find some other stuff at local auctions?  Motorhog do auctions.

Probably best to stick to Cat N, Cat S is structural damage. 

It's hard to properly asses the level of damage on Cat S without a thorough inspection, which you're unlikely to do on an auction car.

15 hours ago, El Cid said:

I do look on ebay, but would it be the insurance company selling them or the owner? Perhaps the insurance companies just invite local garages to bid?

I used to get mine from sandtoft ,you did not have to be a trader to enter /buy from there but not been for years 

On 25/01/2019 at 22:12, rudds1 said:

I used to get mine from sandtoft ,you did not have to be a trader to enter /buy from there but not been for years 

I have also been looking at the regular auction sites, BCA and such; I find it really strange that an individual is not allowed to register for online bidding.

Surely the more people bidding, better prices and more commission. They call the auction site that sells at Sandtoft, Copart, they require a £50 registration fee.

Are 3rd party right offs still a thing?

Also MOT failures where they haven't got money or knowledge to fix it.