TV licensing Canada

The long arm of the UK TV licensing office has now gone international. I recently downloaded a UK  TV and Radio app, which is quite good, plus a UK TV guide app. Today I received a demand by email from the  British licensing bureau requiring me to update my TV license information. Now I am all for paying my way in life, but I do live in Canada after all.LOL

I've had the update request and offer of a refund too....anything to get your bank details!!!

TV licence, tax refund, self tax assessment, they'll try everything.

4 minutes ago, geared said:

TV licence, tax refund, self tax assessment, they'll try everything.

Yes, I know it's a scam, just thought it was a little funny because of where I live.😄

3 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

Yes, I know it's a scam, just thought it was a little funny because of where I live.😄

Why is it a scam? Why should we pay and you watch for free?

Sky and HBO don't allow overseas viewers free access.

1 hour ago, woodview said:

Why is it a scam? Why should we pay and you watch for free?

Sky and HBO don't allow overseas viewers free access.

Better send the detector van around then .Good luck with that as there are over 5 million people in my town.  Lol.😝

36 minutes ago, Ontarian1981 said:

Better send the detector van around then .Good luck with that as there are over 5 million people in my town.  Lol.😝

They have no jurisdiction, so can only enforce it by trying to block international web access. Do you think it was done assuming you were in the uk?

6 hours ago, woodview said:

They have no jurisdiction, so can only enforce it by trying to block international web access. Do you think it was done assuming you were in the uk?

Actually, it was probably done by a scammer who had access to my email address after I signed up for the UK TV app, chancing that I lived in Britain. It was not the real licensing authority, in my opinion.

I think "The British licensing bureau" sort of gives it away.

1 hour ago, apelike said:

I think "The British licensing bureau" sort of gives it away.

No that is my wording, the e-mail identified itself as TV Licensing and it  showed a solid black disc with a blue tick in the centre, on the right-hand side. Maybe it was genuine eh?   lol

Just now, Ontarian1981 said:

No that is my wording, the e-mail identified itself as TV Licensing and it  showed a solid black disc with a blue tick in the centre, on the right-hand side. Maybe it was genuine eh?   lol

Just now, Ontarian1981 said:

No that is my wording, the e-mail identified itself as TV Licensing and it  showed a solid black disc with a blue tick in the centre, on the right-hand side. Maybe it was genuine eh? I must update my information immediately as requested.  lol

1 minute ago, Ontarian1981 said:

I'd keep well clear of them. Best bet is post it to me in cash, I'll buy the appropriate licence at the post office and keep it safe for you. 😉

23 minutes ago, woodview said:

I'd keep well clear of them. Best bet is post it to me in cash, I'll buy the appropriate licence at the post office and keep it safe for you. 😉

Give me your bank details and I'll transfer the funds.👌   😎