is sheffield heading the same way as London

30 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Really?

There are far more posts on SF in the last few months complaining about speed cameras and the like than claiming there is a crime epidemic.

You obviously don't get out much.

1 minute ago, Brooker11 said:

You obviously don't get out much.

I do - but I live in France - you've obviously a short memory given the thread about French speed cameras being vandalised.

In regular contact with family and friends in Sheffield and nobody is talking about crime epidemics. Was over in October and at Christmas -  crime epidemics thin on the ground. Will be over again early March - expect situation to be the same.

I note that of your 300 plus posts the vast majority are about football 😎 - suppose that t'Owls recent form is some sort of criminal epidemic..................................

11 hours ago, Longcol said:

Really?

There are far more posts on SF in the last few months complaining about speed cameras and the like than claiming there is a crime epidemic.

Number of burglaries in the Dore and Totley area is so high at the moment that locals are proposing street patrols. Police have confirmed that two burglaries have been carried out with axes and one with a knife. 

The "Sheffield is the safest city in the country" hippy nonsense doesn't wash with most people unfortunately. 

17 minutes ago, OneSon said:

Number of burglaries in the Dore and Totley area is so high at the moment that locals are proposing street patrols. Police have confirmed that two burglaries have been carried out with axes and one with a knife. 

The "Sheffield is the safest city in the country" hippy nonsense doesn't wash with most people unfortunately. 

It probably still is, I'm sure increase in crime won't be localised to just Sheffield.

Whilst accepting there may be other contributory factors, having 21,000 less cops is clearly going to have an impact on crime. Understandably the lack of police resource leads to community frustration but Dore & Totley Concerned Residents street patrols are not the answer - what are they proposing to do if they come across an axe-wielding burglar?

8 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

It probably still is, I'm sure increase in crime won't be localised to just Sheffield.

It may be the safest city if city means London, Newcastle, Leeds, Birmingham, Manchester & Sheffield. But when you compare number of crimes in Sheffield per capita to places like York, Coventry, Hull, Derby, Plymouth, Reading and Norwich then it is quite clearly not the safest city in England. In fact, over the past 2 years the number of violent crimes in Sheffield is very high when compared nationally. Unfortunately, it is starting to pattern with Birmingham and London. 

21 minutes ago, OneSon said:

It may be the safest city if city means London, Newcastle, Leeds, Birmingham, Manchester & Sheffield. But when you compare number of crimes in Sheffield per capita to places like York, Coventry, Hull, Derby, Plymouth, Reading and Norwich then it is quite clearly not the safest city in England. In fact, over the past 2 years the number of violent crimes in Sheffield is very high when compared nationally. Unfortunately, it is starting to pattern with Birmingham and London. 

Granted this is a year old, maybe things have rapidly gone wrong?

https://www.jusnews.net/report-shows-sheffields-violent-crime-is-lowest-of-core-cities-by-large/

34 minutes ago, Eccy Beach said:

Granted this is a year old, maybe things have rapidly gone wrong?

https://www.jusnews.net/report-shows-sheffields-violent-crime-is-lowest-of-core-cities-by-large/

Even in that report, Sheffield has the 5th highest crime rate of all cities. For violent crime it was the 7th highest in 2016 but has seen a sharp increase in the last 2 years, particularly in relation to murder. There are 51 cities in England. I love Sheffield as much as the next guy but to say it's the safest city in England is clearly not true. 

7 minutes ago, OneSon said:

Even in that report, Sheffield has the 5th highest crime rate of all cities. For violent crime it was the 7th highest in 2016 but has seen a sharp increase in the last 2 years, particularly in relation to murder. There are 51 cities in England. I love Sheffield as much as the next guy but to say it's the safest city in England is clearly not true. 

I think the 'safest city' title is always a bone of contention but if you look at the heat maps in the report cited for burglary in the area that includes Dore & Totley its 95-105 incidents per 10,000 people, thats 1% of residents burgled. Granted that's 1% too many and the aggravating factor of weapons as you describe is very scary for those homeowners concerned , but objectively looking at it I don' t think it warrants vigilantes on the street. 

But ultimately feelings of fear are personal, its not for me to say people shouldn't feel scared.

21 hours ago, Longcol said:

I do - but I live in France - you've obviously a short memory given the thread about French speed cameras being vandalised.

In regular contact with family and friends in Sheffield and nobody is talking about crime epidemics. Was over in October and at Christmas -  crime epidemics thin on the ground. Will be over again early March - expect situation to be the same.

I note that of your 300 plus posts the vast majority are about football 😎 - suppose that t'Owls recent form is some sort of criminal epidemic..................................

Vandalism of speed cameras as a political protest is totally valid, stealing a working persons tools isn’t.

In last four months in a radius of less than five miles of my home (a small village) we have had our local post office robbed twice (one armed robbery), the PO in the next village held up by a knife man, the cash machine ripped from the local co-op twice (thousands of pounds of damage caused), the local Tesco ram raided completely destroying the entrance doors, a barbers had its front door smashed in and the toll and cutting equipment stolen, a children’s hospice that’s run mostly by charitable donations had out buildings broken into, the large Sainsbury’s had a knife man trying to grab cash. Add to this loads of vehicles stolen and contractors vans broken into on almost daily basis.

If this is not a real crime problem I’d hate to see what your idea of one is.

On 25/01/2019 at 21:52, Brooker11 said:

In last four months in a radius of less than five miles of my home (a small village) we have had our local post office robbed twice (one armed robbery), the PO in the next village held up by a knife man, the cash machine ripped from the local co-op twice (thousands of pounds of damage caused), the local Tesco ram raided completely destroying the entrance doors, a barbers had its front door smashed in and the toll and cutting equipment stolen, a children’s hospice that’s run mostly by charitable donations had out buildings broken into, the large Sainsbury’s had a knife man trying to grab cash. Add to this loads of vehicles stolen and contractors vans broken into on almost daily basis.

Bad news for the people who live there but it would appear these happened in Dinnington and South Anston - not Sheffield.

https://timawells.wordpress.com/2018/10/14/armed-robbery-at-south-anston-post-office-dinnington-police-station/

Edited by Longcol