Anyone know where I can buy aluminium for casting please

I was wondering if anyone knew where in sheffield rotherham area I can but some aluminium for a casting project please

scrap or ingots both would be good

but ingots specifically for casting would be best

Quick Google search shows up William Rowland 9 -13 Meadow St, Sheffield S3 7BL

Edited by Lancs_Lad

I Personally have done this previously with a Troop:

You start collecting Aluminum Foil, Cans Locally, like Scouts used to do, it's amazing how many a School, Firm, Small Business, can amass in a short period of time.

your only investment would be a Large Carton with a Magnet attached, you don't have to sell all to Alucan! We used to get 0.01p per can, most places let you have for free!

If you don't want to by new, most scrappies seperate aluminium and copper as it sells for a lot more than ferrous metals.

Depending on how much you need, a bike scrappys would be a good place to start as most modern bikes have a lot of small, bolt on aluminium parts like footpegs, footpeg hangers, brake and clutch levers and brake reservoir hangers.

Ron hull jnr make alloy ingots and are based in Rotherham

Thanks for the replies to date.

suppliers of ingots have minimum order sizes so it seems they are out

which leaves scrap yards

Scrap yards seem to have gone completely anal ...  and it seems

don't want to sell small amount,

won't sell to the public.

won't accept legal tender,  ........................ i'm sure it's illegal not to ...hence all the other conditions

want you to open an account,

whilst all points are annoying its the first two i can't seem to get around

21 hours ago, mr craig said:

How much do you need?

just a few kilos please?

2 minutes ago, fill said:

Scrap yards seem to have gone completely anal ...  and it seems

don't want to sell small amount,

won't sell to the public.

won't accept legal tender,  ........................ i'm sure it's illegal not to ...hence all the other conditions

want you to open an account,

To be fair to scrappys they now have to comply with 2013 legislation brought in to prevent metal theft, money laundering and tax evasion.

3 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

To be fair to scrappys they now have to comply with 2013 legislation brought in to prevent metal theft, money laundering and tax evasion.

Which is pathetic but maybe understandable when people are trying to sell to the scrap man....but I'm buying.

On 22/01/2019 at 08:57, Lancs_Lad said:

Quick Google search shows up William Rowland 9 -13 Meadow St, Sheffield S3 7BL

Thanks for this lead.    they had none in stock but were willing to help.

8 minutes ago, fill said:

won't accept legal tender,  ........................ i'm sure it's illegal not to

The concept of legal tender only applies to debts.  For example at a restaurant: after you've eaten your meal you owe a debt, and and if they refuse to accept cash in proportions of denominations that are legal tender, then they can't call the police when you leave.  Conversely at a shop you're effectively negotiating a potential contract, and legal tender has no bearing.

Try Advanced Alloy Services in Dinnington. They usually have 1  kg ingots but if you ask nicely they may chop you some up.

On 22/01/2019 at 10:58, DeZeus said:

I Personally have done this previously with a Troop:

You start collecting Aluminum Foil, Cans Locally, like Scouts used to do, it's amazing how many a School, Firm, Small Business, can amass in a short period of time.

your only investment would be a Large Carton with a Magnet attached, you don't have to sell all to Alucan! We used to get 0.01p per can, most places let you have for free!

Aluminium foil and cans are a waste of time unless you can compress them into somehing solid.

Becareful you don't end up with zamac or make sure the area is well ventilated. I once threw a car radio heatsink into the crucible one time almost immediately white smoke and green flames where apparent, ended up with zinc poisoning. Also you would want to avoid magnesium if you aint sure it is worthg testing first.

Edited by MrRobot