Second World War Memorial Vandalised

12 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Odd then that no one throws their hands in the air in mock anger over the two nuclear bombs that were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.  Between 60 thousand and 80 thousand were killed instantly and tens of thousands died later on at Hiroshima. The final count was 135,000 dead. Followed on by 40 thousand, rising to 50 thousand later at Nagasaki. So 185 thousand dead in total in two Cities.

Angel1.

Or the dead and injured in the UK,

https://www.britannica.com/event/the-Blitz

3 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Odd then that no one throws their hands in the air in mock anger over the two nuclear bombs that were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.  Between 60 thousand and 80 thousand were killed instantly and tens of thousands died later on at Hiroshima. The final count was 135,000 dead. Followed on by 40 thousand, rising to 50 thousand later at Nagasaki. So 185 thousand dead in total in two Cities.

Angel1.

quote:

"Operation Downfall was the proposed Allied plan for the invasion of Japan near the end of World War II. The planned operation was cancelled when Japan surrendered following the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the Soviet declaration of war, and the Soviet invasion of Manchuria.[15] The operation had two parts: Operation Olympic and Operation Coronet. Set to begin in November 1945, Operation Olympic was intended to capture the southern third of the southernmost main Japanese island, Kyūshū, with the recently captured island of Okinawa to be used as a staging area. Later, in the spring of 1946, Operation Coronet was the planned invasion of the Kantō Plain, near Tokyo, on the Japanese island of Honshu. Airbases on Kyūshū captured in Operation Olympic would allow land-based air support for Operation Coronet. If Downfall had taken place, it would have been the largest amphibious operation in history.[16]

Japan's geography made this invasion plan quite obvious to the Japanese as well; they were able to accurately predict the Allied invasion plans and thus adjust their defensive plan, Operation Ketsugō, accordingly. The Japanese planned an all-out defense of Kyūshū, with little left in reserve for any subsequent defense operations. Casualty predictions varied widely, but were extremely high. Depending on the degree to which Japanese civilians would have resisted the invasion, estimates ran up into the millions for Allied casualties"

On 22/01/2019 at 07:43, hauxwell said:

There is people who believe that their campaign was controversial because of 

the number of civilians who lost their life, but they didn’t start the war. 

If Hitler wasn’t defeated how many civilians would he go on to murder?

If they do catch the despicable people who sprayed the paint then we might get answers.

An important point is that bomber command developed the concept of a firestorm following Hitler’s unsuccessful attempt to create the same thing in London in 1940-1

German bombers attempted on more than one occasion to start incendiary fires in multiple locations that given the correct weather conditions would coalesce into one huge uncontrollable fire and destroy huge tracts of central London.

The firestorm was a weapon of terror against civilians, and both sides attempted to use it, one with more ‘success’ than the other.

I understand why that upsets people but no one member of aircrew who died was responsible for the whole thing. And it should be remembered that not all of bomber command activity was heavy bombing of civilian targets.

It was war and those fallen young men should be respected like you say. The memorial is not a celebration of what happened. It’s a solemn reminder.

12 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Angel1.

There are plenty of people who find the nuclear bomb horrific. Have you never heard of CND?

3 hours ago, Halibut said:

There are plenty of people who find the nuclear bomb horrific. Have you never heard of CND?

Heard of it?? I was IN it :)

I commemorate Hiroshima and Nagasaki  Day every year although I find that Nagasaki tends to get forgotten behind Hiroshima in the public eye

On 22/01/2019 at 00:04, Halibut said:

I can't condone vandalism of this nature, but suspect it might be in protest at the appalling death toll our bomber crews inflicted on German civilians. Hamburg had about 40,000 killed, 37000 wounded and about a million who fled for safety.

That being said there's no doubting the bravery of the bomber crews and I think the people that did this would be better using their revulsion at the bombing of civilians to try and persuade our government to stop selling arms to the Saudis who are using them to inflict atrocities on the civilian population of Yemen.

There was a war on afterall. 

Hopefully the idiot / idiots will be caught.  Apparently there is cctv.  I'd make an example of them, heavy fine to pay for cleaning materials then make them clean their mess up. 

It'd be interesting to know if they've got any elderly relatives still around  who lived / suffered during WWII?  Failing that, they aught to be made to chat to some folk who were around then & maybe they'd get a new perspective. 

Edited by Baron99
Amendments

6 hours ago, I1L2T3 said:

An important point is that bomber command developed the concept of a firestorm following Hitler’s unsuccessful attempt to create the same thing in London in 1940-1

German bombers attempted on more than one occasion to start incendiary fires in multiple locations that given the correct weather conditions would coalesce into one huge uncontrollable fire and destroy huge tracts of central London.

The firestorm was a weapon of terror against civilians, and both sides attempted to use it, one with more ‘success’ than the other.

I understand why that upsets people but no one member of aircrew who died was responsible for the whole thing. And it should be remembered that not all of bomber command activity was heavy bombing of civilian targets.

It was war and those fallen young men should be respected like you say. The memorial is not a celebration of what happened. It’s a solemn reminder.

People will have there own opinion about war memorials and what they mean to them. 

For me it’s the sacrifice made by so many for our freedom and also for young people to understand the sacrifices made by past generations.   

When I walk past the cenotaph in Sheffield on my many visits and the one in Newcastle where I live I think of local communities affected by war and the fear that those men must have experienced when going into battle, whether it be land sea or air.  I would never want to see a war memorial used as a celebration. 

You are right to remind people that not all Bomber Command activity was heavy bombing of civilian targets.

Edited by hauxwell