Why is my Win10 PC using lots more data than xp PC?

On 22/01/2019 at 18:04, Pyrotequila said:

How much data do you need, and what would you consider a respectable cost?

Cheapest broadband I can find is £17/month.

Which provider is that with Pyro?

On 23/01/2019 at 10:44, zach said:

I have to agree that the idea of giving updates to PC's on the internet is taking it way too far by MS. The idea of one PC on your network updating your other PCs can work well...as it did for years with WSUS on their servers.

The second link swarf gave has some good tips on how to save some data, one main one I mentioned in my first reply. 

Peer to peer updates are not exactly a new thing. Lots of games handle updates in the same way as to reduce load on their servers. World of Warcraft is a prime example of a peer to peer update mechanism for it's multi-GB game updates.

As other people have stated, desktop PCs are not suited for use on metered connections anymore. If you had a Linux or Mac machine you'd have the same issue as the OS and other apps get frequent updates unless you either switch updates off or have a system so out of date it no longer gets updates, such as XP and old flavours of OS X.