Why is my Win10 PC using lots more data than xp PC?

When I was tethering from my phone to  my xp PC it was possible to make my phone's  data last if I was careful-loading a web page & disconnecting to read off line for example.

Now, tethering to this win10 PC  seems to use data at an alarming rate.

I've basically only downloaded Firefox browser (as I don't like MS edge) and checked for any updates. Am down to just 20% of data remaining.

Why such a vast difference in data consumption  of these two machines ?

What could be the reason?

Updating a desktop via mobile data isn't the best option.

Chances are that your XP machine had all updates. Depending on how new your Win 10 install is, there may be some very big updates. You can set the connection to your phone as Metered Connection, that should cut it down for you. When you look in system > about... what version does it say?

The main question I would have is; why are you using your phone as a replacement for broadband?

You can get very cheap broadband these days, and in some cases it's even free with another service.

It is more than likely due to the fact (especially if you login using a Microsoft Account) is that Windows 10 uses your bandwidth to push out updates to other users, so effectively your data is being gobbled up as an M$ Access Point for other users of Windows 10 to get their updates too. - This has been covered on here elsewhere in a different thread but can't remember which one.

7 hours ago, swarfendor437 said:

It is more than likely due to the fact (especially if you login using a Microsoft Account) is that Windows 10 uses your bandwidth to push out updates to other users, so effectively your data is being gobbled up as an M$ Access Point for other users of Windows 10 to get their updates too. - This has been covered on here elsewhere in a different thread but can't remember which one.

Since when? Link please. As in a current one, not one you found 3 years ago.

12 hours ago, swarfendor437 said:

It can be turned off though.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2955491/windows/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-using-your-pcs-bandwidth-to-update-strangers-systems.html

7 hours ago, probedb said:

Since pretty much Day 1?

Zach.
When I  checked for updates there  was only  one  needed.
Version:  1709
OS Build: 16299.904

Pyro.
I had a LL/BB package for many years-24/7 calls Inc  , and used to make loads  of calls. I became ill and my
 calling circle  gradually shrank.

Now I only use/need up to 400 minutes of my 1000 mob minutes per month. The mob  data allowance covers most of anything I want to do online using my phone, but I need a PC for certain DL that a phone cannot do.

I can afford BB but how can I justify it with my miniscule  need?

BB providers do not cater for the one person household.  A mate of mine has wife & 6 kids-he does other things -:). Several mob phones in the house, smart TV connected, kids with laptops, i pads etc.

If providers offered a limited BB data package at representative cost I would be very interested, but BT hold them to ransom with line rental costs.

While ever BT have a monopoly on phone lines  that they rent to providers it is not going to happen. The time is well overdue for ofcom & the monopolies commission to  get involved.

Swarf.
I don't use MS account.

Ape.
I'll read up on that link.

Edited by Janus
Typo

1 hour ago, Janus said:

Pyro.
I had a LL/BB package for many years-24/7 calls Inc  , and used to make loads  of calls. I became ill and my
 calling circle  gradually shrank.

Now I only use/need up to 400 minutes of my 1000 mob minutes per month. The mob  data allowance covers most of anything I want to do online using my phone, but I need a PC for certain DL that a phone cannot do.

I can afford BB but how can I justify it with my miniscule  need?

How much data do you need, and what would you consider a respectable cost?

Cheapest broadband I can find is £17/month.

15 hours ago, probedb said:

Like Ghozer said, pretty much since Day 1:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2955491/windows/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-using-your-pcs-bandwidth-to-update-strangers-systems.html

and more recently:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/manage-windows-10-data-usage/

Edited by swarfendor437

I have to agree that the idea of giving updates to PC's on the internet is taking it way too far by MS. The idea of one PC on your network updating your other PCs can work well...as it did for years with WSUS on their servers.

The second link swarf gave has some good tips on how to save some data, one main one I mentioned in my first reply.