We got a shock .Last week when we took our whippet  to the PDSA to have a cut to his front leg stitched up (four stitches ),the cost was £180 as he is our second named dog .

We expected to pay up to £100 at the most ,but the £180 made us wonder if we should have just gone to our local vet ,as we have been told by a neighbour that they had a similar cut stitched for half of what it cost at the PDSA . I know it is a charity but what a shock at the price .

A friend of mine recently took his Jack Russell to a vet to have a cut treated on his front paw and it ended up costing him £275 and £40 of that was for 7 antibiotic tablets.

I have all my dogs registered with two vets exactly for that reason - it's not always possible to check with both but when one of ours needed a cruciate repair i saved nearly £2000 between the two and about a £1000 for a broken leg on one of the others. 

That does sound like what you would pay anywhere for the treatment, a bit on the expensive side.

I thought that the other named pets were supposed to have cheaper treatment...still cheaper than the regular vet? I was wondering how it worked myself as it doesn't seem to be documented anywhere.

5 hours ago, Moonbird said:

That does sound like what you would pay anywhere for the treatment, a bit on the expensive side.

I thought that the other named pets were supposed to have cheaper treatment...still cheaper than the regular vet? I was wondering how it worked myself as it doesn't seem to be documented anywhere.

I have insured our second dog now as a years subscription is cheaper than the one visit to the PDSA.

Some people will have to let a pet suffer if they find that the PDSA are just the same as an ordinary vets prices .

The PDSA must have changed its policy. We once took a cat there when our own vet was closed. They refused to treat it as we weren't on benefits even though we were prepared to pay. It was a good few years ago. The place looked brand spanking new.

The very name should give folk a clue , but it is not now the whole story.

On 29/01/2019 at 19:17, Albert smith said:

The very name should give folk a clue , but it is not now the whole story.

Sorry if i sound a bit dim but what do you mean.