We got a shock .Last week when we took our whippet  to the PDSA to have a cut to his front leg stitched up (four stitches ),the cost was £180 as he is our second named dog .

We expected to pay up to £100 at the most ,but the £180 made us wonder if we should have just gone to our local vet ,as we have been told by a neighbour that they had a similar cut stitched for half of what it cost at the PDSA . I know it is a charity but what a shock at the price .

A friend of mine recently took his Jack Russell to a vet to have a cut treated on his front paw and it ended up costing him £275 and £40 of that was for 7 antibiotic tablets.

I have all my dogs registered with two vets exactly for that reason - it's not always possible to check with both but when one of ours needed a cruciate repair i saved nearly £2000 between the two and about a £1000 for a broken leg on one of the others. 

That does sound like what you would pay anywhere for the treatment, a bit on the expensive side.

I thought that the other named pets were supposed to have cheaper treatment...still cheaper than the regular vet? I was wondering how it worked myself as it doesn't seem to be documented anywhere.

5 hours ago, Moonbird said:

That does sound like what you would pay anywhere for the treatment, a bit on the expensive side.

I thought that the other named pets were supposed to have cheaper treatment...still cheaper than the regular vet? I was wondering how it worked myself as it doesn't seem to be documented anywhere.

I have insured our second dog now as a years subscription is cheaper than the one visit to the PDSA.

Some people will have to let a pet suffer if they find that the PDSA are just the same as an ordinary vets prices .

The PDSA must have changed its policy. We once took a cat there when our own vet was closed. They refused to treat it as we weren't on benefits even though we were prepared to pay. It was a good few years ago. The place looked brand spanking new.

On 29/01/2019 at 19:17, Albert smith said:

The very name should give folk a clue , but it is not now the whole story.

Sorry if i sound a bit dim but what do you mean.

On 21/01/2019 at 13:50, Albert smith said:

We got a shock .Last week when we took our whippet  to the PDSA to have a cut to his front leg stitched up (four stitches ),the cost was £180 as he is our second named dog .

We expected to pay up to £100 at the most ,but the £180 made us wonder if we should have just gone to our local vet ,as we have been told by a neighbour that they had a similar cut stitched for half of what it cost at the PDSA . I know it is a charity but what a shock at the price .

I have looked into this a bit, for the 2nd animal its not cheaper treatment its  only the consultation, which is £26 for the first visit then drops to £20 for the 2nd visit for the same illness (I think that was right anyway) I then checked at the vet I use (Beech house at High green) there consultation for a dog is £21 and for the 2nd consultation it drops to £16...work that one out, not doing people much of a favour really are they?

I did the same moonbird an it worked out cheaper to take them to local vets. I have always supported the P.D.S.A and have been very glad of the help when i'v needed it but it has gone a bit off track with the contribution at the reception and then another one if you need meds. Now all this with "if they class your dog as pedigree" even when you know its not but it resembles one. I think they may have changed that( you can only register one if its deemed pedigree but you could have more registered if not) I can understand they need the money but at the end of the day it is the poor animals that suffer. I have always given as much as i can but i have seen people argue the point that its a charity so they don't have to pay anything.

Heres what it says on their website.. and having used them recently, I can say it's correct..

FREE SERVICE
 - MUST be in receipt of one or more of...
-- Housing Benefit
-- Council Tax Support / Reduction Scheme

-- Universal Credit (with housing element)

"You will be eligible to register one pet for our free service, in receipt of one or more above

** Eligible owners with more than one pet are able to register additional animals for our low cost service

LOW COST SERVICE
You are eligible to register for the LOW COST service if you are in receipt of one or more of...
-- Child Tax and Working Tax Credits
-- Universal Credit (without housing element)
-- Pension Credit

-- Income Support

-- JSA

-- ESA
-- DLA / PiP
-- State-Retired pensioners who are householders in CT bands A-D

If you don't fall under any of these, then FULL COST service may be available...

Edited by Ghozer

On 04/03/2019 at 13:27, jan2665 said:

I did the same moonbird an it worked out cheaper to take them to local vets. I have always supported the P.D.S.A and have been very glad of the help when i'v needed it but it has gone a bit off track with the contribution at the reception and then another one if you need meds. Now all this with "if they class your dog as pedigree" even when you know its not but it resembles one. I think they may have changed that( you can only register one if its deemed pedigree but you could have more registered if not) I can understand they need the money but at the end of the day it is the poor animals that suffer. I have always given as much as i can but i have seen people argue the point that its a charity so they don't have to pay anything.

All that will happen is that the original contribution will be very small if people also have to pay for meds, the PDSA have become very guilt inducing about the payments and yes I know its a charity and they need money, but its fast moving away from being a help for people in desperate need. Yes animals are going to suffer, they need a re think.

On 04/03/2019 at 16:59, Ghozer said:

Heres what it says on their website.. and having used them recently, I can say it's correct..

FREE SERVICE
 - MUST be in receipt of one or more of...
-- Housing Benefit
-- Council Tax Support / Reduction Scheme

-- Universal Credit (with housing element)

"You will be eligible to register one pet for our free service, in receipt of one or more above

** Eligible owners with more than one pet are able to register additional animals for our low cost service

LOW COST SERVICE
You are eligible to register for the LOW COST service if you are in receipt of one or more of...
-- Child Tax and Working Tax Credits
-- Universal Credit (without housing element)
-- Pension Credit

-- Income Support

-- JSA

-- ESA
-- DLA / PiP
-- State-Retired pensioners who are householders in CT bands A-D

If you don't fall under any of these, then FULL COST service may be available...

That is correct yes

Edited by Moonbird