Steam trains through Sheffield 2019/2020

Thanks for that and thanks for the info re 23 September. I won't miss it this time! How do you access these specials from Realtime Trains,  I only know how to access stations?  I find UKsteam.info doesn't show everything these days, especially loco and empty trains.

Cheers,

Wazzie

1 hour ago, Paul Worrall said:

Thanks for that and thanks for the info re 23 September. I won't miss it this time! How do you access these specials from Realtime Trains,  I only know how to access stations?  I find UKsteam.info doesn't show everything these days, especially loco and empty trains.

Cheers,

Wazzie

When you open the RTT page it will offer a choice of "Advanced ".

You can access stations and other points on route.

If you type in Dore you would not see the train (you would if you use Dore West Jn  -spelling is critical)

On the safe side use Grindleford.

Now you will see trains in that hour. Change the "what time?" field and you get all the trains that day.

This is too many so you can reduce the number using the "calling at" fields.

If you are looking for at steam trains use the "green"" buttons just before the blue "submit" button.

WTT are all the planned freight and passenger trains planned.(Q) means they do not always run

VAR are variation of the planned timetable

CAN shows cancelled trains only.

STP are the special trains, one offs and include the diesel and steam specials. If this is left "green" and the others "grey" the huge list becomes tiny.

If you click on the "blue" ID code, it will show the whole route and times.

The information for this site comes from different sources and is not always 100% accurate and trains can disappear, appear and accelerate

Use it for Delay Repay evidence

Lastly STP trains can go hours earlier or hours later or be cancelled at any time. Diesels can often replace for whole or part of the journey.

Chesterfield has more steam than Sheffield and not all steam trains are advertised .

UKsteam.info does not appear to be updating

Hi Annie.

Thanks for that wonderful description, it's opened up all new opportunities.

Cheers,

Wazzie

And thanks to everybody out there who has contributed. The day started with an unknown steam locomotive wizzing past and because of it our friends out there have opened up lots of new railway opportunities!

Wazzie Worrall

Thanks to Annie B. and others I can give the times for a second outing of 5699 Galetea as it returns to Carnforth from Burton on Monday 23 September.  It is important to also check Realtimes on Monday morning, The marker stations I will use are Dronfield and Grindleford. 

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/DRO?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt         

This is the link for Dronfield (DRO?), to check other stations simply change the name in the location box and click 'submit'.

Sorry about the spacing!

Cheers, Wazzie

Burton Ot Wetmore Sidings

SDG

Alfreton [ALF]

pass

ML

Blackwell South Jn (Derbs)

pass

UDV

Morton

Chesterfield [CHD]

pass

DBH

Tapton Jn

pass

Dronfield [DRO]

Dore South Jn

pass

Dore West Jn

pass

Totley Tunnel East

pass

Grindleford [GRN]

pass

Bamford [BAM]

pass

Earles Sdgs S.B.

DGL

Edale [EDL]

pass

Chinley East Jn

pass

Manchester Victoria [MCV]

pass

Carnforth Steamtown

Hi,

Does anybody know what the steam special was which came through Dore and Totley Station from Manchester at 11:44 today?

Thanks,

Wazzie Worrall

Sat 7 ‘The White Rose’
Crewe-Warrington Bank Quay-Manchester Victoria-Sheffield-Meadowhall-Church Fenton-York-Wakefield-Todmorden-Rochdale-Crewe by No. 70000. Saphos Trains

https://www.steamrailway.co.uk/main-line-diary

https://saphostrains.com/white-rose-saturday-7-march-2020/

Thanks for that information Nikki. It's also useful to have those links.

Cheers,

Wazzie Worrall

Hi,

Members of Sheffield Forum have been very helpful when helping me to find the name and number of steam specials which have run through Dore and Totley Station in recent times.

I now have another question;

Which website(s) can I use to help me locate steam specials which are due to run through, Dore & Totley, Chesterfield and Sheffield?

In the past I have used UKsteam info and Steam Railways. However since the lockdown and consequent general lack of steam specials in the Sheffield area I have no information as to what is due to come through.  Realtime Trains is helpful when describing the routes and times of specials, however, to use this page it is necesary to know which day a train is running.

Can anybody help me please?

Kind regards,

Wazzie Worrall

Railway herald has a listing of all rail tours with loco information for both steam and diesel, you have to do some searching though as it only shows stopping points. It does have links to the tour operators websites which give more information.

I can't get the link to work but if you google railwayherald and go to the railtours page that should find it.

Edited by Zarniwoop
corrected url

23 hours ago, Zarniwoop said:

Railway herald has a listing of all rail tours with loco information for both steam and diesel, you have to do some searching though as it only shows stopping points. It does have links to the tour operators websites which give more information.

I can't get the link to work but if you google railwayherald and go to the railtours page that should find it.

Hi Zarniwood,

Thanks for the information, I'll check the Railway Herald.

Cheers,

Wazzie

12 minutes ago, Paul Worrall said:

Hi Zarniwood,

Thanks for the information, I'll check the Railway Herald.

Cheers,

Wazzie

The information on excursion and  magazines is always out of date.

At the moment there are no booked movements through Sheffield as nearly all excursions are cancelled.

There are regular steam services at Settle and  Scarborough which may involve movements out of area

There are some  trains between Norwich and Chester with no time table.

You will need use Realtime  trains at Swinton, Meadowhall and Chesterfield(not Dore) daily to find  these unadvertised and often last minute and often cancelled.

Method.

Location eg Swinton(South Yorkshire).

When? Input All Day

Service Type Enter Freight services

Clear WTT and VAR leaving STP.

Click  SEARCH

You will see  a number of trains with the code ZZ.

This list consists normally of freight trains going from yard to yard.

Occasionally some of these yards will be  steam train depots or the location of stabling points of excursions and popular routes eg Carnforth, Tyseley, Crewe, York, London various, Scarborough, Bury, Castleton, Norwich, Peterborough, Derby, Butterley

Looking at the individual timetable will often show long stops for water.

Beware, cancellation and time keeping issues are normal so will not appear, will be hours early or late

Not all of these are steam trains. 

Not all are in steam-they might be a diesel pulling a steam train.