Prince Phils driving exploits.

8 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I bet they won't prosecute him but I suspect he will be persuaded to surrender his licence.

Fair play for him to still be driving at that age but somebody could have been killed yesterday. The dodgy solicitor who got Beckham off his speeding case has just said on the BBC that the CPS will almost certainly decide that it would not be in the public interest to prosecute him.

Quelle surprise!  And people wonder why I'm a republican!

11 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Of course not.  He's Admiral of the Fleet so he outranks Admiral Insurance. 

Seriously.  It takes some force to roll a 2.5 ton Range Rover. 

Agree. But it was a 1 ton Land Rover Freelander.

11 hours ago, Obelix said:

Looking at the damage it doesnt seem either car was hit significantly enough to roll over a Discovery. I'm wondering if he binned it on the way to the T junction (there is a sharp bend on the road that joins the main road there.) He rolled over the main road and the other car crashed avoiding him....?

It wasn't a Discovery.  It was a Freelander.  Half the size and weight of a Discovery.

10 hours ago, apelike said:

No one has asked the obvious questions though: should someone of that age (97) be driving on the roads or should it be compulsory for anyone over a certain age group to have a regular tests to confirm they are fit to drive?

It should be compulsory for those aged 75 years and over to have an annual test to see if they are still capable of driving safely.  There...I answered your question!

Why is everyone assuming  it was the Dukes fault just because of his age?

The young female could have been going at a fair old speed but we will just have to wait for the outcome.

1 hour ago, DerbyTup said:

Agree. But it was a 1 ton Land Rover Freelander.

It wasn't a Discovery.  It was a Freelander.  Half the size and weight of a Discovery.

It should be compulsory for those aged 75 years and over to have an annual test to see if they are still capable of driving safely.  There...I answered your question!

Freelander 2 - 3,902–4,300 lb (1,770–1,950 kg)

Which also is no longer in production.... so he wont have had a "new" one delivered.

Discovery 4  - 2,193 kg (4,835 lb) (petrol) 2,230 kg (4,920 lb) (diesel)

Because yeah - only the first series 1 were close to a ton...

6 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

A lethal weapon with that idiot behind the wheel.  Just wonder if  he has been doing the  3 year retest is age supposed to do by Law.  Here is the answer.  NO!  HE HASN'T :rant:

Thats because there is no retest every three years. So stop frothing at the mouth and please do some research...

Edited by Obelix

12 hours ago, jaffa1 said:

The young female could have been going at a fair old speed but we will just have to wait for the outcome.

Because he pulled out of a junction you can tell by the side damage  plus thats how the 4x4 was turned over. :huh:

11 hours ago, Obelix said:

Freelander 2 - 3,902–4,300 lb (1,770–1,950 kg)

Which also is no longer in production.... so he wont have had a "new" one delivered.

Discovery 4  - 2,193 kg (4,835 lb) (petrol) 2,230 kg (4,920 lb) (diesel)

Because yeah - only the first series 1 were close to a ton...

Thats because there is no retest every three years. So stop frothing at the mouth and please do some research...

My mistake about the retest,  but before renewing the license there  should be a retest and a medical,  there you go. P.S Im not frothing at the GOB,  He shouldn't be driving at  that age with all the chaufers available to that lot.  :suspect:

12 hours ago, jaffa1 said:

The young lady could have been driving at 60 MPH which is the legal  maximum speed limit on that road at the moment.

8 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Because he pulled out of a junction you can tell by the side damage  plus thats how the 4x4 was turned over. :huh:

I agree my money is on Prince Philip being at fault rather than the younger female driver.

13 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

Many thanks for that. :)

Edited by apelike

38 minutes ago, apelike said:

Many thanks for that. :)

Could you make that 85 please.

14 hours ago, jaffa1 said:

Nobody is assuming that it is his fault because of his age.

Regardless of what speed she may or may not have been doing, going from a minor to a major road, it is his resposnsibility to do so only when it is safe.

As he was facing west at the time, the most likely explanation is that he was temporarily blinded and misjudged the distance to the white  line, crossed it and simply drove out into the path of the car travelling on the A149. If he had actualy stopped at the white line he would have been looking North/South at the junction to check for traffic and therefore not been affected by the sun.

It has been reported as saying he was blinded by the light. The defence of automatism  is not available.

Did he pull out and hope for the best?