Absolutely maniacs on the road (dangerous driving)

I was driving along the ring road near Norton / Meadow Head the other evening.  This dual carriageway  has a 40mph speed limit, but people regularly speed on this stretch of road. I'm overtaking in the right hand lane and a white car is approaching behind me at an alarming speed. At the very last moment, it switches in to the left lane, and then squeezes between myself and the car I was overtaking (in the left hand lane). It must have missed me by a matter of inches, and I was half expecting a collision. A few moments later, another car comes flying by at similar speed and driving just as insanely; possibly racing the first car.

Seemed like an extremely dangerous and reckless manoeuvre to me. If I had dash-cam footage, I would have gone to the police with it. People who endanger others like this, need prosecuting and taking off the road.

Womdering if any other users have send similar dash-cam footage to the police, and what the results were?

Its a dodgy bit of road i use it as  little as possible.

Although i wonder if dash cams are useful to report someone in the overtaking lane who isn't overtaking but wants to turn right a mile further up the road?

As i experience every time i need to get to Bradway or the retail park from Gleadless.

It's a straight-ish dual carriageway, it's not a dodgy bit of road. The drivers are the dodgy ones.

If they actually put speed cameras up like the signs on the northward side say they'd probably make some money :)

I live near there and the type of incident that you witnessed is all too familiar along that stretch of road on both carriageways. It is particulalry a problem in the evenings when some of the 'souped-up' brigade seem to use it as a test track.

IMO that section of road's current limit of 40 mph is too low and should be raised to 50 which is a sensible safe speed given the width of the carriageway and its relative straightness.

Then speed cameras should be installed. I don't know whether average speed cameras could be used because of the distance involved being too short but if not then two fixed cameras on each carriageway may then deter some of the idiots.

Yeah, I've always wondered why the limit was just 40 along there. It does seem a bit slow, given a dual carriageway, straight-ish with good visibility etc. Could it be due to footpaths and possibly pedestrians in area?

2 hours ago, willman said:

Although i wonder if dash cams are useful to report someone in the overtaking lane who isn't overtaking but wants to turn right a mile further up the road?

Though annoying, driving in the wrong lane is not an offence.

I seem to remember years ago when  the farm on the righthand side (from Meadowhead to Gleadless) was working there used to be a set of lights for the Farmer to bring his cows across the roadway for milking, Perhaps the 40 speed limit is from then ?

1 hour ago, kevvy said:

I seem to remember years ago when  the farm on the righthand side (from Meadowhead to Gleadless) was working there used to be a set of lights for the Farmer to bring his cows across the roadway for milking, Perhaps the 40 speed limit is from then ?

Hazelbarrow Farm; there's a small lane which leads out on to the main road...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hazelbarrow+Farm/@53.3295629,-1.4543286,769m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4879831eded38387:0x9c6f48e30519d9a9!8m2!3d53.3277526!4d-1.4480978

Possibly the reason for the 40 limit?

Edited by Waldo

4 hours ago, Waldo said:

I was driving along the ring road near Norton / Meadow Head the other evening.  This dual carriageway  has a 40mph speed limit, but people regularly speed on this stretch of road. I'm overtaking in the right hand lane and a white car is approaching behind me at an alarming speed. At the very last moment, it switches in to the left lane, and then squeezes between myself and the car I was overtaking (in the left hand lane). It must have missed me by a matter of inches, and I was half expecting a collision. A few moments later, another car comes flying by at similar speed and driving just as insanely; possibly racing the first car.

Driving like that I'd automatically presume both cars were stolen?

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Can be done for lane-hogging on a DC though, it'd have to be done for several miles.

Edited by geared

38 minutes ago, geared said:

Driving like that I'd automatically presume both cars were stolen?

Stolen, or, just being raced. I'd suspect the latter, as no police chasing etc.

4 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

It's called driving without due care and consideration and may well be an offence.