Newer LED street lamps

Today the council have replaced the street lamps. 

They've taken out perfect working LED lamps and replaced them with new ones which are about 2 foot smaller in height and much dimmer. 

They've also fitted an additional lamp on the street

but seemingly not bothered to power it. 

I'm at a loss as to why councils are wasting limited money on things that does not need replacing, especially when the replacement items are inferior. 

Can anyone explain why? 

Getting rid of their excess money before audit day would be my guess.

Angel1.

Aren't streetlights part of the infamous Amey contract?

Probably changing them to dimmable LEDs.

Guest makapaka
4 hours ago, Resident said:

Today the council have replaced the street lamps. 

They've taken out perfect working LED lamps and replaced them with new ones which are about 2 foot smaller in height and much dimmer. 

They've also fitted an additional lamp on the street

but seemingly not bothered to power it. 

I'm at a loss as to why councils are wasting limited money on things that does not need replacing, especially when the replacement items are inferior. 

Can anyone explain why? 

Are you sure they’ve not replaced the old street lights with led?

seems strange otherwise 

5 hours ago, Resident said:

There's talk that some of the new LED street lighting is too bright and causing a nuisance to drivers which would explain them replacing it with lower powered units.

1 hour ago, makapaka said:

Are you sure they’ve not replaced the old street lights with led?

seems strange otherwise 

Yes, they were LED units before. When they were first installed a few in my area had faulty sensor units so come dawn/dusk we were treated to a rave with the strobing. 

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

There's talk that some of the new LED street lighting is too bright and causing a nuisance to drivers which would explain them replacing it with lower powered units.

These new units seem to be warmer in colour temp but they are significantly dimmer 

Probably because of the number of people complaining about how bright they were and how they were ruining their lives.....pretty sure there's at least one thread on here about it.

I thought they were fine?

Some people complained they were shining in through windows, but IIRC you could ask for a masking piece to be fitted to block the light??

I think that they are awful but they are much cheaper, last longer and use a fraction of the electricity of sodium lights.

I like them because I can tell the difference between red and green Rizlas at night, at last.

6 hours ago, probedb said:

Probably because of the number of people complaining about how bright they were and how they were ruining their lives.....pretty sure there's at least one thread on here about it.

Tbf the only houses that this one 'overspilled' onto was mine and my next door neighbour's. It managed to spread a decent amount of light on both our driveways so it benefitted us. 

But even so, even with thin curtains there wasn't an issue.