weather forecasts

I have tried looking at several sources for an accurate  weather forecast for sheffield

it seems that most of those that try to predict the weather for sheffield are

1 unaware that between sheffield and manchester there is a wee hill or ridge if like that at times has a significat effect on the weather and the difference between the weathere in the proximity of those two major cities.  some of you will perhaps know that said hil or ridge is also known as the pennines some 268 miles in length and at one point 2900 feet in height.  some call the pennines a mountain some a range, some the backbone of england.   but it appears many weather forecasters either know not of its existence or choose to ignore any influence on the wather that the pennines might have.

having learned that  we can not really trust the british <removed> corporation for accurate news the same can be said at times but far too often about their weather forecasts

so who do we go to or where do we look for an accurate weather forcast that covers sheffield for the next 7 days?

i was very fortunate that i once had a neighbour a retired in shore fisherman that could predict the weather very accurately for about a week in advance and give a very reasonable guesstimate for the weather to come over the next couple of months or so.   sadly he died recently.   but there are many others with the same set of skills they do not need satellites or weather balloons why they are not employed to give us something we can rely on is beyond my understanding

so to my question ...  does anyone know of any source of an accurate published or even broadcasted  weather forcast please?

and for those that recall the early days of radio hallam when the djs used to lean out of the window and tell you what the weather was actually doing.... please nothing like that

and here's a btw

does an-yone know why tv and radio weather presenters bother to waste time of which they are allowed precious little usually to inform us what the weather has been like all day...  like that matters to anyone?

Edited by nikki-red

Why don't you just use the BBC Weather app?

It's usually pretty good +/- half an hour. Only for the next three or four days though. Long range forecasting is still vey flaky.

Having read your post, I just compared  the bbc weather website forecast for Manchester and Sheffield over the next couple of days, they are definitely different, which would possibly reflect the  how the pennines do actually influence the weather for both cities.

beefface....    and this time they have made the distinction ...  what remains now is to test the accuracy

1 hour ago, beefface said:

Having read your post, I just compared  the bbc weather website forecast for Manchester and Sheffield over the next couple of days, they are definitely different, which would possibly reflect the  how the pennines do actually influence the weather for both cities.

The weather will vary hugely from one part of Sheffield to another to be fair. All weather data in this country comes from the Met office. Various outlets might present it differently but its all coming from the same place. I find the Met office app quite reliable, but its a forecast not a guarantee.

At one point used to look at Accuweather, at Weather City  and BBC and sometimes they'd all be quite different.    The one most consistently  accurate on these occasions was the BBC.

I use Metcheck. On Christmas day it said snow on the 16th of january

3 hours ago, fill said:

I have tried looking at several sources for an accurate  weather forecast for sheffield

it seems that most of those that try to predict the weather for sheffield are

1 unaware that between sheffield and manchester there is a wee hill or ridge if like that at times has a significat effect on the weather and the difference between the weathere in the proximity of those two major cities.  some of you will perhaps know that said hil or ridge is also known as the pennines some 268 miles in length and at one point 2900 feet in height.  some call the pennines a mountain some a range, some the backbone of england.   but it appears many weather forecasters either know not of its existence or choose to ignore any influence on the wather that the pennines might have.

Cross Fell, the highest point in the Pennines, is further north than the bulk of the Lake District so has negligible affect on Sheffield's weather.

The Pennines do affect the weather in Sheffield and Manchester to some extent but they're hardly the Alps.

The biggest influence on UK's weather is generally the sea and both Sheffield and Manchester are near enough to the sea for it to moderate the effect of the weather so there isn't a huge amount of difference between the two cities.

What differences between Sheffield and Manchester are you expecting?

30 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Cross Fell, the highest point in the Pennines, is further north than the bulk of the Lake District so has negligible affect on Sheffield's weather.

The Pennines do affect the weather in Sheffield and Manchester to some extent but they're hardly the Alps.

The biggest influence on UK's weather is generally the sea and both Sheffield and Manchester are near enough to the sea for it to moderate the effect of the weather so there isn't a huge amount of difference between the two cities.

What differences between Sheffield and Manchester are you expecting?

The big difference is the amount of rain one gets more than the other

My Bold

Edited by kidley

42 minutes ago, kidley said:

The big difference is the amount of rain one gets more than the other

My Bold

Manchester gets on average less than an inch of rain per month more than Sheffield. That's about the equivalent of a heavy afternoons rain.

Edited by Longcol