weather forecasts

5 minutes ago, ormester said:

manchester is the most rainy city in the uk 

I'm pretty sure it's Glasgow.

Manchester doesn't even make the top ten! 😀

6 hours ago, fill said:

I have tried looking at several sources for an accurate  weather forecast for sheffield

it seems that most of those that try to predict the weather for sheffield are

1 unaware that between sheffield and manchester there is a wee hill or ridge if like that at times has a significat effect on the weather and the difference between the weathere in the proximity of those two major cities.  some of you will perhaps know that said hil or ridge is also known as the pennines some 268 miles in length and at one point 2900 feet in height.  some call the pennines a mountain some a range, some the backbone of england.   but it appears many weather forecasters either know not of its existence or choose to ignore any influence on the wather that the pennines might have.

having learned that  we can not really trust the british <removed> corporation for accurate news the same can be said at times but far too often about their weather forecasts

so who do we go to or where do we look for an accurate weather forcast that covers sheffield for the next 7 days?

i was very fortunate that i once had a neighbour a retired in shore fisherman that could predict the weather very accurately for about a week in advance and give a very reasonable guesstimate for the weather to come over the next couple of months or so.   sadly he died recently.   but there are many others with the same set of skills they do not need satellites or weather balloons why they are not employed to give us something we can rely on is beyond my understanding

so to my question ...  does anyone know of any source of an accurate published or even broadcasted  weather forcast please?

and for those that recall the early days of radio hallam when the djs used to lean out of the window and tell you what the weather was actually doing.... please nothing like that

and here's a btw

does an-yone know why tv and radio weather presenters bother to waste time of which they are allowed precious little usually to inform us what the weather has been like all day...  like that matters to anyone?

About your fisherman friend being able to forecast the weather from natural events, well some older native people in North America have reputations for accurate weather forecasting, by using forces of nature etc.. There was a funny story in an Almanac a few years ago where a young native goes up to the tribal elder and asks what kind of winter to expect. The old man told him that winter would be long and hard and will start early.  " What signs of nature tell you this " asked the young fella. His response was "  Well it is only October 15th and the white men are already putting on their winter tyres".😊

Edited by Ontarian1981

I just look at wind direction to verify accuracy or trustworthyness of  forecast.

10 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I'm pretty sure it's Glasgow.

Manchester doesn't even make the top ten! 😀

Wonder where the old saying comes from then,  it always rains in Manchester.:huh:

13 hours ago, Longcol said:

Manchester gets on average less than an inch of rain per month more than Sheffield. That's about the equivalent of a heavy afternoons rain.

I think nearly a foot more rain in a year is quite a lot!

16 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

The weather will vary hugely from one part of Sheffield to another to be fair. 

Thats quite true.....when i worked at Orgreave... (opencast site/reclamation)..from the top of the spoil heap you could see over Sheffield, and quite often it has been raining hard over the city, but dry around Catcliffe/Woodhouse area....once when i was working near to where the old Orgreave pit tip was, the gaffer came racing up in the Land Rover,jumped out and stood there scratching his head,i went over to him "whats up" i said,..."I've just rained everybody off and sent them home..it's P...chucking it down at the other end,come up here to tell you to get off home too" he sez....."dry as a bone here, no rain at all" sez I..."might as well stay till end of shift then"..and as it was time and a half..i did.....😉

Edited by euclid

I use the met office app.....it's their entire purpose in life really ;)

Ive said before,  Paul Hudson needs to start watching Country file for the forcast for the week ahead.  He might learn summat.  :loopy:

I just look out of the window now..as long as the roof keeps the weather out it can do what it wants.....it's the winds i hate,causes too much damage....

5 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

Wonder where the old saying comes from then,  it always rains in Manchester.:huh:

The same way that "it never rains in southern California"!