DWP letter....Is it a scam????

28 minutes ago, HandyBob said:

Sorry it the statement was a bit misleading to anyone, where it says "like all other D.W.P phone numbers does not start 0800"  it should have read " like all other D.W.P phone numbers  this one on the letter does not start with 0800" .

This phone number starts 01132

The DWP are constantly changing their numbers, it's almost impossible to get through to them, and then it's a case of being shuffled from department to department until somebody cuts you off

Compliance telephone interviews use to be done at the local job centre but are sometimes done over the phone.  If you have any doubts contact your local jobcentre. 

The DWP rang me while I was shopping in Taps Pocket, about my Pensions, in this subsequent conversation, I asked for a Number to ring Back, I was informed that Desk bound Staff do NOT have Numbers so can't be rung Back, however he could give me his Managers Number....As I being Careful said he could be a Scammer ringing from a withheld number....so arranged a call on Home number Later...

22 hours ago, DeZeus said:

The DWP rang me while I was shopping in Taps Pocket, about my Pensions, in this subsequent conversation, I asked for a Number to ring Back, I was informed that Desk bound Staff do NOT have Numbers so can't be rung Back, however he could give me his Managers Number....As I was being very Careful, I said he could be a Scammer ringing me from a withheld number....so I arranged with him a call on Home number Later...

He did ring back later, but not on my home Number , as my home number rejects withheld numbers automatically, to avoid sales calls. It was then I learned more about their procedures, and practices, still stressing he could be a Scammer, I asked him to Prove he was From DWP, which he did, which is difficult because of DPA, I also asked him to pass up to management that there needs to be some mechanism else people are naturally going to think they're Scammers as they ring from with held numbers,  he agreed, with me with empathy.

I am also led to believe that IP Phone systems (in any geographic area i.e say.Abroad ) can be set to emulate any Landline geographic number....Scary..

My Personal Advice : 

Ask for Confirmation in Writing of Information Always....

DWP should comply with this Request!