DWP letter....Is it a scam????

Hi we got a letter this morning from the DWP about benefits  my wife get. The head of the letter is  entitled 

"Local Service Compliance Telephone Interview" it goes on and it says when we get the call there are wanting Bank Statements and other personal details ect.

The reason I think this is a scam is:-

1/ The letter is address to my wife who doesn't get any benefits

2/ The letter does not have her N/I number on it.

3/ After checking the phone number 01132850061, this is an  India phone number.

4/ I haven't heard of this telephone interview where a-bout's you are going to be ask personal details.

We will be looking further into this but was just wondering has any-one had a letter like this or heard of this.

Thanks Bob.

I would say that it is there leeds office as well 

regarding statements they will be wanting to know the amount in any Bank or other types of account  she is with.

If your truly are concerned ring your local  job centre up although they will not give any details they can confirm there is a issue 

How are they meant to see bank statements over the phone? 

As far as I'm aware compliance interviews are normally done at the job centre so you're able to attend with the requested documents. 

27 minutes ago, Resident said:

How are they meant to see bank statements over the phone? 

As far as I'm aware compliance interviews are normally done at the job centre so you're able to attend with the requested documents. 

They will do a telephone interview if there not happy with what they here they will ask for them to visit 

Dos not make sense really but they will not ask for bank details .

Has your wife ever had any benefits or pension credit? If so, it might be genuine but I would insist that any personal information is provided at a Jobcentre to be on the safe side. They are a bit cryptic when they phone up, but it could also be a scam.

Thanks for your reply.

The only time she  had any was about 30 years ago before we got married.

What is a bit strange  is the letter has not got her N/I number on it, which I thought it should have and the phone number, like all other D.W.P phone numbers does not start 0800.

Rip it up, throw it away... then forget about it...they do not ask how much money you have in your account(s)..only if you have above a certain amount,the answer then would be yes or no, not how much...do not ring the number as it may end up being a premium rate one from which the "scammer" is benefitting...:nono:

1 hour ago, HandyBob said:

Thanks for your reply.

What is a bit strange  is the letter has not got her N/I number on it, which I thought it should have and the phone number, like all other D.W.P phone numbers does not start 0800.

I phoned DWP for a letter off them that was 0800

Don’t give any details out as it is a scam to get hold of your details. It happened to someone I know and with the info they got off him they used it to divert his benefits into another bank account.

On 25/01/2019 at 10:44, HandyBob said:

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry it the statement was a bit misleading to anyone, where it says "like all other D.W.P phone numbers does not start 0800"  it should have read " like all other D.W.P phone numbers  this one on the letter does not start with 0800" .

This phone number starts 01132

20 minutes ago, HandyBob said:

Sorry it the statement was a bit misleading to anyone, where it says "like all other D.W.P phone numbers does not start 0800"  it should have read " like all other D.W.P phone numbers  this one on the letter does not start with 0800" .

This phone number starts 01132

Phone Sheffield Job centre she will have to do it just tell her to ask if there is a ongoing issue on computer.

Wont tell her what if there is but least you will know.