Tuna Mans statement ...why the lack of interest?

6 minutes ago, Brooker11 said:

No Bullen wasn't the answer, he said himself he didn't want the job long term, he won two and drew two of his four games and lacks the experience and contatcs to succeed over a lenghty period of time, is Bruce a manager who needs money or has he been fortunate to work at clubs that have had it, all reports suggest that he left clubs in a better state than when he arrived, lots are feeling the pinch of FFP with more to follow so he could get another job with the same constraints. Only time will tell if he can work his magic at S6.

Well the only report I can find that agrees with you regarding leaving a club in a better state than when he found it is from his son.He is the center half who played every game at Hull while his dad was gaffer and dropped a ------- every game while the future center half for England was warming the bench.Now his dad is not his boss I wonder where he is now?Please go on the Villa site and ask those supporters about the state he left them in don't take my word for it ask them.They tried for months and months to get rid of him .They ended up with six center halfs and not one right back .Buying 5 and six  million pound players for positions they had well covered yet they had other positions they had no cover for barmy.

44 minutes ago, petcharlie said:

Well the only report I can find that agrees with you regarding leaving a club in a better state than when he found it is from his son.He is the center half who played every game at Hull while his dad was gaffer and dropped a ------- every game while the future center half for England was warming the bench.Now his dad is not his boss I wonder where he is now?Please go on the Villa site and ask those supporters about the state he left them in don't take my word for it ask them.They tried for months and months to get rid of him .They ended up with six center halfs and not one right back .Buying 5 and six  million pound players for positions they had well covered yet they had other positions they had no cover for barmy.

I don't take what fans say as a yardstick, always comes with bitterness. His parents both died within a short space of time whilst he was at Villa many commentators have said it affected him badly, they've not pulled any trees up since he left so perhaps there are other issues at the club. Hull got promoted so the decision to play his son didn't affect them. Four promotions don't lie but not every manager fits every job and vice versa. If we'd appointed Steve McLaren you'd be giving us endless stick with quotes from previous clubs fans yet he's doing a great job at QPR and has spent nothing. As I said only time will tell.

If you want a little professional insight listen to the interview that Matty Fryatt (ex Hull striker) gave to Football Heaven (available on Iplayer) with regards to Bruce, a more balanced view than rabid Villa fans.

Edited by Brooker11

9 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

I'm a Blade, but I think you're being a bit harsh on your club mate, honestly I do.  

Let's leave Bruce aside for a moment and just focus on what's happened...

You had a Chairman, in Mandaric, who bought the club for a song, put a bit of money into it, got it back to a better place, then sold it on for a nice profit to a bloke who, by his own admission, knew nothing about football, but had funds, over and above what the previous Chairman could commit, to invest in the club.  Fair enough!  

Chansiri comes in and appoints a manager who has had more jobs than most of us have had hot dinners - and was an "unknown" quantity in English football.  That doesn't mean he was bad - but it was an unusual appointment.  A gamble.  That manager went out and spent quite a lot of the Chairman's money.  I didn't hear any Owls fans complaining about that at the time.  Rather, the opposite.

Take the Jordan Rhodes signing as an example.  Many Owls fans had been going on about the need to sign Jordan Rhodes for ages.  Memories of him ripping the Owls apart at Hillsboro a few seasons earlier were still fresh in the mind.  His fatha was now working for the Owls, and his previous track record, that is, previous to him joining Middlesboro, was very good.  He'd lost his way at Boro' obviously and wasn't getting in the first team.  There are many players like that, who hit it off at some clubs but not at others.  It doesn't make them bad players.

The thing about Rhodes is you had him on loan for the second half of that season where you finished in the play-offs.  You were obviously happy enough with what you saw to fork out a lot of money to make that signing permanent.  Again, I didn't hear a single Owls fan saying, "we shouldn't sign him - he's rubbish".  Every Owls fan I know was happy to see the club splash out a lot of money to bring him in permanently at the end of that season.

The way I see it is this...

Your Chairman put his money and his faith in Carlos to get you promoted.  It so very nearly worked.  Carlos built a good team playing good football, especially in that first season.  I actually liked Carlos and thought he was a decent manager and human being - however, I also think if he'd been a bit more ambitious with his tactics, in the play-offs, you might well have done better.  (I just thought he was incredibly defensive in those games).   However, you took a chance, you had a go for it.  Good for you!  You don't get anything in this life if you don't try - and you tried.  

It's a fine line between success and failure sometimes.  The problem for you now is that you shot your financial bolt two seasons ago and that's hampered your progress.  I think the one big mistake was the appointment of Jos Lukuhay.  I think he will be remembered in history as one of the most uninspiring football managers to ever work in this city.  He was dreadful.  Yes he shored up the defence last season - but his team selection and tactics were unfathomable.   You are lucky that they've pulled the plug on him, because I'd have strongly fancied Owls to get relegated if he'd have remained in charge.  

Now, back to Steve Bruce...

Whatever you think about the guy, his track record of getting clubs promoted from this level is a good one.  Personally, I have a lot of time and respect for him - I think he's a very good manager and a decent human being too.  I don't think you could have got anyone better tbh, but, he's going to have his work cut out because your club needs root and branch surgery I'm afraid.

It will be interesting to see how he does this, given the financial constraints upon him.

Oh, btw...I don't know if you realise it, but your new caretaker boss, Steve Agnew, is the Uncle of Jordan Rhodes...maybe he'll be coming back to the club soon?

Oh i agree wholeheartedly mate, maybe i was harsh, we did a massive gamble, threw money at getting up, it almost worked, failed by a whisker, but now we are stuffed for at least a couple of seasons, maybe more.

I just think we couldve done better cheaper, Bullys worked wonders when hes been caretaker but then we always go for a "name" manager who always cost an arm and a leg, and it never quite works Oo

Like Rhodes, we couldve bought a couple of decentish strikers and another player or two and still had change instead. And yeah i knew Agnew was his Uncle ;)

Edited by melthebell

I think Wednesday should have left Bullen in charge until the end of the season. 

Not sure if Chansiri has any positive ambitions for this season but I would have thought get to 50 points as soon as possible and then start planning for next season.

At that same time start looking for a new manager to take over in the close season to start 2019/20  season. 

I think the chairman's statement is just preparing us for some potential big name sales to ensure we balance the books and ensure we can move forward next season. Hopefully we can unload some of the constantly injured players. 

4 hours ago, melthebell said:

Oh i agree wholeheartedly mate, maybe i was harsh, we did a massive gamble, threw money at getting up, it almost worked, failed by a whisker, but now we are stuffed for at least a couple of seasons, maybe more.

I just think we couldve done better cheaper, Bullys worked wonders when hes been caretaker but then we always go for a "name" manager who always cost an arm and a leg, and it never quite works Oo

Like Rhodes, we couldve bought a couple of decentish strikers and another player or two and still had change instead. And yeah i knew Agnew was his Uncle ;)

Bullen until the end of season might of worked but we've been down the whole promoting caretaker managers full time and it never seems to work. We'll see if Bruce is different

1 hour ago, scargill said:

I think the chairman's statement is just preparing us for some potential big name sales to ensure we balance the books and ensure we can move forward next season. Hopefully we can unload some of the constantly injured players. 

I Think so too, also softening the blow if any further sanctions are issued, 

4 hours ago, abbeyedges said:

I think Wednesday should have left Bullen in charge until the end of the season. 

Not sure if Chansiri has any positive ambitions for this season but I would have thought get to 50 points as soon as possible and then start planning for next season.

At that same time start looking for a new manager to take over in the close season to start 2019/20  season. 

Hmm! not sure about that tbh.  Don't get me wrong, I don't think there's a bloke anywhere in the country who has the club more at heart than Bully.  I've never met the bloke but he sounds a very decent chap and he's got my respect, even though I'm a Blade.  I hope things work out for the lad whatever happens.  

The thing about management though is you need to have contacts...networks...an ability to be able to call on a few folks higher up the food chain to get favours...a wide vision on things, both at home and abroad. 

With the best will in the world, I don't think Bully has that.  Tbh, I question whether Wilder has some of that too, especially the "international" bit.  I think that's currently a limitation for him if we want to not just get to the Prem but stay there.  

I think Brucey has that in spades.  I think he'll be very good for you tbh - but I also think it will take time.  Definitely not this season.  Maybe not next season.  But the season after maybe - if you give him that long?

31 minutes ago, NERVY-OWL said:

Bullen until the end of season might of worked but we've been down the whole promoting caretaker managers full time and it never seems to work. We'll see if Bruce is different

Agree mate.

Look at United.  Look at how many untried, inexperienced managers we appointed over the past God knows how many years.  

Martin Peters

Billy McEwan

Steve Thompson

Adrian Heath

Phil Thompson

Nigel Spackman

Kevin Blackwell

Gary Speed

John Carver

David Weir

Some of these had a little dabble in management before,  but none were experienced managers.  We paid the price.  

United have found a gem in Wilder.  He's probably one of the most experienced managers in the country, because he's being doing it successfully for years from grass roots up.  That carries a lot of weight for me.

10 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

Agree mate.

Look at United.  Look at how many untried, inexperienced managers we appointed over the past God knows how many years.  

Martin Peters

Billy McEwan

Steve Thompson

Adrian Heath

Phil Thompson

Nigel Spackman

Kevin Blackwell

Gary Speed

John Carver

David Weir

Some of these had a little dabble in management before,  but none were experienced managers.  We paid the price.  

United have found a gem in Wilder.  He's probably one of the most experienced managers in the country, because he's being doing it successfully for years from grass roots up.  That carries a lot of weight for me.

True, maybe if you go up wilder might struggle though as his experience is all lower leagues but until he get the chance no on knows.

Glad bullen is staying in the coaching side, need people with the club at heart there but Bruce will need time so it's wether he get that 

5 minutes ago, NERVY-OWL said:

True, maybe if you go up wilder might struggle though as his experience is all lower leagues but until he get the chance no on knows.

Glad bullen is staying in the coaching side, need people with the club at heart there but Bruce will need time so it's wether he get that 

I think Wilder's limitation, is also the club's limitation.  We don't really have much of a scouting network outside of the UK.  It's not surprising Wilder seems to favour UK and Irish players really.  I just think when a team gets to the Prem it's a whole different ball game.  The club will need to be fishing in a much bigger, more international pond, for players.  Given the support though I'd be confident that Wilder could do it.

He hasn't given any reason he can't. Certainly unless it goes drastically wrong for him there's no reason he can't be your manager for a good few seasons. If I was a blade I'd want him to stay, even if he finished on no points next season if you went up