Tuna Mans statement ...why the lack of interest?

if people would just apply a little logic to this issue the truth of the matter is the successful top level clubs are based in towns or cities that have no competition within that area.    london has 6 teams in the premier league and an official population of over 8 million

sheffield has two such teams and an official  population of under 600, 000

sheffield has also the distinction of being the place in which the first football club in the world was formed   ( no i have no idea who they played, with themselves mostly i imagine)

the sane and sensible thing to do that would also hopefully negate all the petty objesctions from aniquted die hard fans would be to upgrade sheffield fc build a new stadium just outside the city sell off all the assets of the other two clubs keeping sufficient players and juniors coaches etc to form a viable team and have a club the whole of the football interested sheffield citizens could get behind.

apart from blind and knee-jerk reactions from some backward looking individuals i can see no sane opposition to this.

the world's oldest football club playing at the top of the national game based here in sheffield

average home game attendances of both the big clubs is around 25K ...50K ish  in total assuming the same levels of support

which is would just put the proposed upgraded sheffield fc in amongst the clubs with the top 10 average attendances.

i know some fans would quit in protest ..  bye...   but combined revenue generated would enable the club to purchase some proper players which in turn would generate hopefully increased success and then additional new support and increased income.  increased interest from sponsors ans maybe even attract the interest some oligarth or oil rich potential owners.

no one dare do it or even put the suggestion forward in a combined meeting of the three clubs.  which is why sheffield will continue to be home to 2 slowly declining second rate clubs which in truth i'd prefer as the disruption to the rest of the cities residents on match days will eventually disappear  and not a day too soon

it needs the fans that care about success to initiate this.

12 hours ago, St Petre said:

Yes Jim but what is and how long is the time being ?

That will depend on how good our accountants are (not very, or we wouldn't be in the brown stuff) or how good Brucie is at wheeling and dealing (not known for it) or perhaps DC might try the litigation route (can't see that paying dividends, but it wouldn't put Mr McSue off).

Chances are we'll just have to sit it out for a season or two and Bruce has been appointed to keep us in the championship for the duration with nowt to spend. 

I think championship clubs are allowed an average of £13m of losses per season over any three season period and we're very close to it. It could take another two seasons after this one before DC can spend again.

We only have seven decent class players. Two have long term injuries, one has yet to prove he isn't past it after a long time out, one will only ever give you 15-20 games a season and is a card collector, one is also injury prone, has a very suspect temperament, and has questionable loyalty. None of these are saleable because no other club would match their wages, given their individual problems.

That leaves Bannan and Reach as our only saleable assets. Joao might attract an offer on the strength of his potential but he needs to bring consistency to his game which only the very best young players can do and he's getting to the stage where he can no longer be classed as a young player.

So it's over to you Brucie, earn your corn.

12 hours ago, pintor said:

Is Bruce being asked to start in february to give tuna man time to sort the finances out, cant be easy adding another £2m a year on the wage bill with all this going on!. Surely Bruce would want to be around during the  transfer window to  strengthen the team and be in charge of deals etc

When the game changer bought into the blades wasn't it announced the day after the transfer window closed? Only difference is one club didn't want to spend, the other can't spend.

12 hours ago, fill said:

if people would just apply a little logic to this issue the truth of the matter is the successful top level clubs are based in towns or cities that have no competition within that area.    london has 6 teams in the premier league and an official population of over 8 million

sheffield has also the distinction of being the place in which the first football club in the world was formed   ( no i have no idea who they played, with themselves mostly i imagine)

the sane and sensible thing to do that would also hopefully negate all the petty objesctions from aniquted die hard fans would be to upgrade sheffield fc build a new stadium just outside the city sell off all the assets of the other two clubs keeping sufficient players and juniors coaches etc to form a viable team and have a club the whole of the football interested sheffield citizens could get behind.

apart from blind and knee-jerk reactions from some backward looking individuals i can see no sane opposition to this.

the world's oldest football club playing at the top of the national game based here in sheffield

average home game attendances of both the big clubs is around 25K ...50K ish  in total assuming the same levels of support

which is would just put the proposed upgraded sheffield fc in amongst the clubs with the top 10 average attendances.

i know some fans would quit in protest ..  bye...   but combined revenue generated would enable the club to purchase some proper players which in turn would generate hopefully increased success and then additional new support and increased income.  increased interest from sponsors ans maybe even attract the interest some oligarth or oil rich potential owners.

no one dare do it or even put the suggestion forward in a combined meeting of the three clubs.  which is why sheffield will continue to be home to 2 slowly declining second rate clubs which in truth i'd prefer as the disruption to the rest of the cities residents on match days will eventually disappear  and not a day too soon

Good post but it's been done to death over the years. A nice romantic idea to bring Sheffield FC up through the divisions but if it went pear shaped (a not uncommon phenomenon in Sheffield football) we could be left without a league club at all.

11 hours ago, POUNDSWORTH said:

The Owls chairman made a statement last night, yet it seems no one wishes to address the topic here!     It seems  the financial woes in S6 . are serious and if not brought in to line by March, sanctions shall be forced upon the club!

What do the Owls expect?  flash sales??   higher gate prices or even rattling tins on Fargate?(again)

Its not a time to bury your heads in the sand Owls!!   speak up...  your chairman said  there is a danger of relegation, no chance of promotion either!  do you honestly expect Bruce to come or even stay with no cash to work with????

I don't think anything in the statement hadn't been said before so it's hardly a shock, we've not really sold any players of note in DC's reign so had to happen sooner or later.

The FFP rules are ludicrous are starting to get a groundswell of opposition to them and will surely be changed soon.

18 hours ago, melthebell said:

stupidity bringing a "big" name like bruce in, shouldve kept bully doing what he does best. Stupidity buying Rhodes, said it was a massive gamble and it was a massive failure. Stupidity bring Jos in, look where that got us, more and more diminishing returns, bet he was less than Carlos mind but still

I'm a Blade, but I think you're being a bit harsh on your club mate, honestly I do.  

Let's leave Bruce aside for a moment and just focus on what's happened...

You had a Chairman, in Mandaric, who bought the club for a song, put a bit of money into it, got it back to a better place, then sold it on for a nice profit to a bloke who, by his own admission, knew nothing about football, but had funds, over and above what the previous Chairman could commit, to invest in the club.  Fair enough!  

Chansiri comes in and appoints a manager who has had more jobs than most of us have had hot dinners - and was an "unknown" quantity in English football.  That doesn't mean he was bad - but it was an unusual appointment.  A gamble.  That manager went out and spent quite a lot of the Chairman's money.  I didn't hear any Owls fans complaining about that at the time.  Rather, the opposite.

Take the Jordan Rhodes signing as an example.  Many Owls fans had been going on about the need to sign Jordan Rhodes for ages.  Memories of him ripping the Owls apart at Hillsboro a few seasons earlier were still fresh in the mind.  His fatha was now working for the Owls, and his previous track record, that is, previous to him joining Middlesboro, was very good.  He'd lost his way at Boro' obviously and wasn't getting in the first team.  There are many players like that, who hit it off at some clubs but not at others.  It doesn't make them bad players.

The thing about Rhodes is you had him on loan for the second half of that season where you finished in the play-offs.  You were obviously happy enough with what you saw to fork out a lot of money to make that signing permanent.  Again, I didn't hear a single Owls fan saying, "we shouldn't sign him - he's rubbish".  Every Owls fan I know was happy to see the club splash out a lot of money to bring him in permanently at the end of that season.

The way I see it is this...

Your Chairman put his money and his faith in Carlos to get you promoted.  It so very nearly worked.  Carlos built a good team playing good football, especially in that first season.  I actually liked Carlos and thought he was a decent manager and human being - however, I also think if he'd been a bit more ambitious with his tactics, in the play-offs, you might well have done better.  (I just thought he was incredibly defensive in those games).   However, you took a chance, you had a go for it.  Good for you!  You don't get anything in this life if you don't try - and you tried.  

It's a fine line between success and failure sometimes.  The problem for you now is that you shot your financial bolt two seasons ago and that's hampered your progress.  I think the one big mistake was the appointment of Jos Lukuhay.  I think he will be remembered in history as one of the most uninspiring football managers to ever work in this city.  He was dreadful.  Yes he shored up the defence last season - but his team selection and tactics were unfathomable.   You are lucky that they've pulled the plug on him, because I'd have strongly fancied Owls to get relegated if he'd have remained in charge.  

Now, back to Steve Bruce...

Whatever you think about the guy, his track record of getting clubs promoted from this level is a good one.  Personally, I have a lot of time and respect for him - I think he's a very good manager and a decent human being too.  I don't think you could have got anyone better tbh, but, he's going to have his work cut out because your club needs root and branch surgery I'm afraid.

It will be interesting to see how he does this, given the financial constraints upon him.

Oh, btw...I don't know if you realise it, but your new caretaker boss, Steve Agnew, is the Uncle of Jordan Rhodes...maybe he'll be coming back to the club soon?😏

12 hours ago, fill said:

I think your suggestion would be disastrous.  I base this on my knowledge, not just of Sheffield football, but of business.  I see similar mistakes made in big corporate business to what you are suggesting.

You get two companies, neither of whom are as strong or competitive as they would like to be let's say.  They merge together in the expectation that this will create one much bigger, much stronger company.  In fact what happens is you get one big weak company, instead of two smaller weak companies.  Even worse!

If United and Wednesday were to pack up and fall in under the title of "Sheffield FC" you wouldn't have one big club called Sheffield FC.  You'd have a small increase in the number of Sheffield FC fans, but the majority of Blades and Owls would not go and support that team.  Some may even try to form their own version of Sheffield Wednesday or Sheffield United.  Look no further than AFC Wimbledon for an example.  

The best chance of success for Sheffield Football is for United and Wednesday to remain as separate competing entities and for Sheffield FC to remain as an interesting neutral artefact of Sheffield Football, which has the respect from both the red and blue sides of the city.  Sheffield FC should aim to increase its revenues by exploiting its unusual history.  It would help if Sheffield City Council were a bit quicker off the mark as well.  Why is the "National Fooball Museum" in Manchester for example? 

Ultimately, Sheffield United and Sheffield Wednesday should aim to increase their revenues by getting to the top level of English football as soon as possible.

Both United and Wednesday could increase revenues if they were playing in the Premiership.  United have a good opportunity to extend the capacity of their ground and to maximise the interest in Chinese investment through their various business associations abroad.

Wednesday should consider moving from Hillsborough to a purpose-built stadium out near the M1 and attempting to appeal to a much wider catchment area.  But, they will need Premiership football for this to be fulfilled.  And there are "short-term" financial issues for them to resolve first.

Edited by DerbyTup

48 minutes ago, DerbyTup said:

I'm a Blade, but I think you're being a bit harsh on your club mate, honestly I do.  

You had a Chairman, in Mandaric, who bought the club for a song, put a bit of money into it, got it back to a better place, then sold it on for a nice profit to a bloke who, by his own admission, knew nothing about football, but had funds, over and above what the previous Chairman could commit, to invest in the club.  Fair enough!  

Chansiri comes in and appoints a manager who has had more jobs than most of us have had hot dinners - and was an "unknown" quantity in English football.  That doesn't mean he was bad - but it was an unusual appointment.  A gamble.  That manager went out and spent quite a lot of the Chairman's money.  I didn't hear any Owls fans complaining about that at the time.  Rather, the opposite.

Take the Jordan Rhodes signing as an example.  Many Owls fans had been going on about the need to sign Jordan Rhodes for ages.  Memories of him ripping the Owls apart at Hillsboro a few seasons earlier were still fresh in the mind.  His fatha was now working for the Owls, and his previous track record, that is, previous to him joining Middlesboro, was very good.  He'd lost his way at Boro' obviously and wasn't getting in the first team.  There are many players like that, who hit it off at some clubs but not at others.  It doesn't make them bad players.

The thing about Rhodes is you had him on loan for the second half of that season where you finished in the play-offs.  You were obviously happy enough with what you saw to fork out a lot of money to make that signing permanent.  Again, I didn't hear a single Owls fan saying, "we shouldn't sign him - he's rubbish".  Every Owls fan I know was happy to see the club splash out a lot of money to bring him in permanently at the end of that season.

Your Chairman put his money and his faith in Carlos to get you promoted.  It so very nearly worked.  Carlos built a good team playing good football, especially in that first season.  I actually liked Carlos and thought he was a decent manager and human being - however, I also think if he'd been a bit more ambitious with his tactics, in the play-offs, you might well have done better.  (I just thought he was incredibly defensive in those games).   However, you took a chance, you had a go for it.  Good for you!  You don't get anything in this life if you don't try - and you tried.  

It's a fine line between success and failure sometimes.  The problem for you now is that you shot your financial bolt two seasons ago and that's hampered your progress.  I think the one big mistake was the appointment of Jos Lukuhay.  I think he will be remembered in history as one of the most uninspiring football managers to ever work in this city.  He was dreadful.  Yes he shored up the defence last season - but his team selection and tactics were unfathomable.   You are lucky that they've pulled the plug on him, because I'd have strongly fancied Owls to get relegated if he'd have remained in charge.  

Whatever you think about the guy, his track record of getting clubs promoted from this level is a good one.  Personally, I have a lot of time and respect for him - I think he's a very good manager and a decent human being too.  I don't think you could have got anyone better tbh, but, he's going to have his work cut out because your club needs root and branch surgery I'm afraid.

It will be interesting to see how he does this, given the financial constraints upon him.

Oh, btw...I don't know if you realise it, but your new caretaker boss, Steve Agnew, is the Uncle of Jordan Rhodes...maybe he'll be coming back to the club soon?😏

I think your suggestion would be disastrous.  I base this on my knowledge, not just of Sheffield football, but of business.  I see similar mistakes made in big corporate business to what you are suggesting.

You get two companies, neither of whom are as strong or competitive as they would like to be let's say.  They merge together in the expectation that this will create one much bigger, much stronger company.  In fact what happens is you get one big weak company, instead of two smaller weak companies.  Even worse!

If United and Wednesday were to pack up and fall in under the title of "Sheffield FC" you wouldn't have one big club called Sheffield FC.  You'd have a small increase in the number of Sheffield FC fans, but the majority of Blades and Owls would not go and support that team.  Some may even try to form their own version of Sheffield Wednesday or Sheffield United.  Look no further than AFC Wimbledon for an example.  

The best chance of success for Sheffield Football is for United and Wednesday to remain as separate competing entities and for Sheffield FC to remain as an interesting neutral artefact of Sheffield Football, which has the respect from both the red and blue sides of the city.  Sheffield FC should aim to increase its revenues by exploiting its unusual history.  It would help if Sheffield City Council were a bit quicker off the mark as well.  Why is the "National Fooball Museum" in Manchester for example? 

Ultimately, Sheffield United and Sheffield Wednesday should aim to increase their revenues by getting to the top level of English football as soon as possible.

Both United and Wednesday could increase revenues if they were playing in the Premiership.  United have a good opportunity to extend the capacity of their ground and to maximise the interest in Chinese investment through their various business associations abroad.

Wednesday should consider moving from Hillsborough to a purpose-built stadium out near the M1 and attempting to appeal to a much wider catchment area.  But, they will need Premiership football for this to be fulfilled.  And there are "short-term" financial issues for them to resolve first.

Your first post is pretty on the money (the first half), the only thing I would correct is that the Rhodes deal wasn't a loan in the real sense, it was called a loan just to defer the payments until the end of the season, it was always a full transfer from day one.

5 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

Can't disagree with most of what you say. The one thing I don't Is Rhodes. Plenty of owls, including myself questioned the signing. I thought it was worth the risk if it didn't put the club's finances in jeopardy, looks like I was right to be concerned. Also on that signing the chairman put blame on the fans for signing him as we wanted him, that doesn't wash with me. If we couldn't afford it we shouldn't of signed him and only the chairman knew if we could or not.

25 minutes ago, NERVY-OWL said:

Can't disagree with most of what you say. The one thing I don't Is Rhodes. Plenty of owls, including myself questioned the signing. I thought it was worth the risk if it didn't put the club's finances in jeopardy, looks like I was right to be concerned. Also on that signing the chairman put blame on the fans for signing him as we wanted him, that doesn't wash with me. If we couldn't afford it we shouldn't of signed him and only the chairman knew if we could or not.

It was a bizarre signing although welcomed by many fans, did we really need him just after signing Winnall for a bargain £500k? In hindsight it was a shocking addition.

5 minutes ago, Brooker11 said:

It was a bizarre signing although welcomed by many fans, did we really need him just after signing Winnall for a bargain £500k? In hindsight it was a shocking addition.

No we didn't, I think we signed winnall thinking Rhodes wasn't possible then ended up with both. Hourahaine instead of those two would of been better

51 minutes ago, Brooker11 said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing thinking back to my younger days I payed 3000 quid for my first house but I could not sleep at night thinking about all that debt.With hindsight I should have bought half a dozen of them.Some decisions at the time might feel that you have made the right one but after time it is clear you did not.Rhodes was one of those decisions that was obviously wrong but the real shame is it was all so an expensive one.I do think given time there will be a lot of fans of lots of clubs who will breath a sigh of relief when they look back in ten years time and thank the football league for bring in restraints on clubs regarding curtailing their spending.We already have players turning out every week with no money in their pockets thanks to clubs not being able to pay wages all because they went stupid trying to buy success and failing. Bolton ,Aston Villa ,Hull , and the Owls have all been close along with others been written in to the history books.When you look at most clubs books it is frightening how much in debt they all are apart from the top six ,someday they are all going to come down to earth and live in the real world and that is when the fun will start.

33 minutes ago, petcharlie said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing thinking back to my younger days I payed 3000 quid for my first house but I could not sleep at night thinking about all that debt.With hindsight I should have bought half a dozen of them.Some decisions at the time might feel that you have made the right one but after time it is clear you did not.Rhodes was one of those decisions that was obviously wrong but the real shame is it was all so an expensive one.I do think given time there will be a lot of fans of lots of clubs who will breath a sigh of relief when they look back in ten years time and thank the football league for bring in restraints on clubs regarding curtailing their spending.We already have players turning out every week with no money in their pockets thanks to clubs not being able to pay wages all because they went stupid trying to buy success and failing. Bolton ,Aston Villa ,Hull , and the Owls have all been close along with others been written in to the history books.When you look at most clubs books it is frightening how much in debt they all are apart from the top six ,someday they are all going to come down to earth and live in the real world and that is when the fun will start.

Thats a good sentiment but when the rules don't apply to all clubs its giving a totally unfair advantage, how can you prevent a solvent club from spending yet reward a club thats failed and been relegated. The idea is ok, the inception not so good.

5 minutes ago, Brooker11 said:

Thats a good sentiment but when the rules don't apply to all clubs its giving a totally unfair advantage, how can you prevent a solvent club from spending yet reward a club thats failed and been relegated. The idea is ok, the inception not so good.

You mean like Hull and the Villa?Well even with parachute payments they were going bust because they were spending such stupid amounts of cash.I really believe that if Villa had not been bought over in the last second they would be history .The football league is littered with clubs spending money they do not have to.Now I am not trying to have a go at the Owls but you gave the managers job to the Guy Bullen on a temporary basis he  did a fantastic job for them .Probable giving the owls their best run of success regarding wins for a long long time and what do they do?They shake his hand and give it to one of the biggest spending managers in the league who will not have a hundred quid to spend.Where is the logic in that ?You had a guy who loves the club doing a fab job with the staff he already has who also were playing out of their skin for him.Well to me that is barmy.All that money to get a guy who has nearly bankrupted two clubs to replace a guy who cost you nothing and who was winning every game.Well good luck you will need it.

1 minute ago, petcharlie said:

You mean like Hull and the Villa?Well even with parachute payments they were going bust because they were spending such stupid amounts of cash.I really believe that if Villa had not been bought over in the last second they would be history .The football league is littered with clubs spending money they do not have to.Now I am not trying to have a go at the Owls but you gave the managers job to the Guy Bullen on a temporary basis he  did a fantastic job for them .Probable giving the owls their best run of success regarding wins for a long long time and what do they do?They shake his hand and give it to one of the biggest spending managers in the league who will not have a hundred quid to spend.Where is the logic in that ?You had a guy who loves the club doing a fab job with the staff he already has who also were playing out of their skin for him.Well to me that is barmy.All that money to get a guy who has nearly bankrupted two clubs to replace a guy who cost you nothing and who was winning every game.Well good luck you will need it.

No Bullen wasn't the answer, he said himself he didn't want the job long term, he won two and drew two of his four games and lacks the experience and contatcs to succeed over a lenghty period of time, is Bruce a manager who needs money or has he been fortunate to work at clubs that have had it, all reports suggest that he left clubs in a better state than when he arrived, lots are feeling the pinch of FFP with more to follow so he could get another job with the same constraints. Only time will tell if he can work his magic at S6.