The Crow, Scotland Street

Real ale drinkers and vegans?

Are they linked in some way?  The Rutland arms serves food as well and it's not vegan...

Out of interest, when you go in, do you look scruffy?  How would someone else judge you?  Do you look like a real ale drinking vegan who's just gone in for the beer?  Or a hippy or new age?  Perhaps you're playing some crystal wind chimes and have feathers woven into your hair?

3 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

It doesn't bother me, I just go in for the beer.

So why bring it up? 

More to the point, are Chris and Kate opening this place in addition to the Rutland, or instead of?

1 hour ago, DnAuK said:

More to the point, are Chris and Kate opening this place in addition to the Rutland, or instead of?

I would hope as well as. There's been nothing from the usual sources about them giving up the rutty that I've heard, anyway

Definitely as well as :)

I'm looking forward to it, with Hop Hideout's new venue as well I've got a nice little after-work crawl without even going further than the Shakey

BTW commenting on the clientele months before it even opens must be some sort of record for the Forum...

Edited by SteelCityAle

16 hours ago, SteelCityAle said:

Definitely as well as :)

I'm looking forward to it, with Hop Hideout's new venue as well I've got a nice little after-work crawl without even going further than the Shakey

BTW commenting on the clientele months before it even opens must be some sort of record for the Forum...

That is good news at any rate. Any ideas on rough timing of these openings?

I kinda agree with you on the clientelle going into the new Crow place. However, I do reserve the right to predict that the Kommune place might be nice to pop in, but I bet it's not going to be comfortable.

In the same way that the Cutlery Works and Assembly Underground in Leeds operate, it will probably involve long bench style seating and  tables that you have to share with excitable teenagers who can't keep still. I can just about manage enough patience to sup a schooner before I have to leave. It's just not conducive to enjoying a nice beer. I just hope I am wrong.

I suspect you may be right re seating at Kommune (the name hardly suggests a selection of quiet snugs and wingback armchairs...), I'm not gonna speculate on the prospective clientele though ;)

Edited by SteelCityAle

Looking forward to both. Any idea of when Crow or HH will open?

On 18/01/2019 at 23:19, Jim Hardie said:

It's a long time since it was the Crown. It's last incarnation was R & B's Uptown Bar and that was quite a while ago. R & B were, and I hope still are, Ruth and Barry Roper-Tye.

I didn't know Barry but Ruth was a bit of a character and had a racehorse at one time.

Many a fond drunken memory of R&Bs as I worked next door at KTG glass furnace contractors, then over the road at the new build which bankrupted the company. .The racehorse, the coppers coming in from over the road, the time Ruth threw a bucket of water over a parking warden and ended up in court,  Much like Linda from the Harlequin (demolished) and Red House (now a shop) I wonder what became of them all

Anyway back the the present, Ill be giving it a try for old times sake. Now if only sombody could save the lovely old pub that is the Queens on Scotland Street 

There are skips outside the crow at the moment and workmen going in and out.  Looks like the early stages of clearing the place out prior to refitting.  So I guess that could mean it would be ready in a few months, but if more extensive work is required it might be 6.

On ‎03‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 10:18, Cyclone said:

There are skips outside the crow at the moment and workmen going in and out.  Looks like the early stages of clearing the place out prior to refitting.  So I guess that could mean it would be ready in a few months, but if more extensive work is required it might be 6.

According to a conversation a friend of mine had with Chris and Kate last week, they are hoping for it to be open in 6 WEEKS not months.

It does sound a tad ambitious to me. But then I guess as long as the bar area is done, they can always do the upstairs while it is operating.

That would fit with my lower estimate of a few months.

I'm totally guessing though, all I can tell is that there's a full skip outside and workmen stripping it out right now.