The Crow, Scotland Street

Quiet early doors yesterday but by the time we left it was pretty full. Nice atmosphere and decor throughout and as you would expect an amazing range of keg beers. A nice little crawl around there now with Bar Stewards, Shakey and Kommune.

We will be back...often.

We made it as planned, it's a lot smaller inside than I was expecting.  Decor is nice although I didn't get to sit.  Bar service was fast even though it was basically at full capacity on the opening night.  I had the Oreo imperial stout, nice, very pricey though, £12 a pint!  (Had a half).

Beer garden is basically a very small yard, that's a shame.

Only stayed for that one due to it being busy, we actually ended up standing outside the front door despite the slight drizzle.

(And slightly off topic, but having met at the Dorothy Pax we won't ever bother going there again).

2 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

We made it as planned, it's a lot smaller inside than I was expecting.  Decor is nice although I didn't get to sit.  Bar service was fast even though it was basically at full capacity on the opening night.  I had the Oreo imperial stout, nice, very pricey though, £12 a pint!  (Had a half).

Only stayed for that one due to it being busy, we actually ended up standing outside the front door despite the slight drizzle.

(And slightly off topic, but having met at the Dorothy Pax we won't ever bother going there again).

I quite like the Dorothy Pax. There is usually a decent Neepsend I can drink and it's great to sit out when sunny. Unfortunately can get rammed when not sunny and some of the clientele don't seem to know how to get served in a pub......queuing?????

It was hammering it down to be fair, it's probably nicer in the sun.

The only dark beer they had was guiness and when I asked for a weiss beer I had to explain what that was and finally I spotted the hoegarden (technically a wit beer, but basically the same thing) myself and had to point it out.  Yeah, also the bar area was full of a work party who were just stood there and the staff didn't ask them to move, made getting served difficult.

Edited by Cyclone

Guest makapaka
28 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

It was hammering it down to be fair, it's probably nicer in the sun.

The only dark beer they had was guiness and when I asked for a weiss beer I had to explain what that was and finally I spotted the hoegarden (technically a wit beer, but basically the same thing) myself and had to point it out.  Yeah, also the bar area was full of a work party who were just stood there and the staff didn't ask them to move, made getting served difficult.

The horror. 

On ‎08‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 09:32, Cyclone said:

Been a few times now (Tues, Weds, Fri, Sat), never felt overly busy (though on Saturday night on particular group did decided to stand in the worst place possible, blocking off the room to the right as you walk in, despite plenty of room in the 'main' area). Outside is small yes, but well presented, and the pub is central enough that an actual 'garden' would be a pretty rare thing (I'm not aware of it actually claiming to be a garden - the social media refers to it as a courtyard).

As for the price of the stout, come on, you know beers like that cost money! Like the Rutland, the Crow has a sensible pricing policy and is not a slave to GP%, I can guarantee you that beer would be a fiver a third minimum in Leeds, Notts, etc

On 08/06/2019 at 10:06, makapaka said:

The horror. 

We've established in the past that you don't actually care about beer and will bizarrely drink somewhere that you don't like, just so that it doesn't close.  You're not normal though.

3 hours ago, SteelCityAle said:

Been a few times now (Tues, Weds, Fri, Sat), never felt overly busy (though on Saturday night on particular group did decided to stand in the worst place possible, blocking off the room to the right as you walk in, despite plenty of room in the 'main' area). Outside is small yes, but well presented, and the pub is central enough that an actual 'garden' would be a pretty rare thing (I'm not aware of it actually claiming to be a garden - the social media refers to it as a courtyard).

As for the price of the stout, come on, you know beers like that cost money! Like the Rutland, the Crow has a sensible pricing policy and is not a slave to GP%, I can guarantee you that beer would be a fiver a third minimum in Leeds, Notts, etc

I didn't expect it to have a garden, was just commenting that it didn't.  It's not an unfair comment.  Shaky's is about 200 metres away and has a much larger outdoor area.

And I'm sure it won't be busy most of the time, but it was (unsurprisingly) on the opening Friday evening.

And like in the Rutland, I'll buy those beers.  But £12/pint is possibly the highest I've seen in Sheffield that isn't in a bottle.  I don't think it's unfair to call a beer at £12/pint "pricey".

Guest makapaka
31 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

We've established in the past that you don't actually care about beer and will bizarrely drink somewhere that you don't like, just so that it doesn't close.  You're not normal though.

I didn't expect it to have a garden, was just commenting that it didn't.  It's not an unfair comment.  Shaky's is about 200 metres away and has a much larger outdoor area.

And I'm sure it won't be busy most of the time, but it was (unsurprisingly) on the opening Friday evening.

And like in the Rutland, I'll buy those beers.  But £12/pint is possibly the highest I've seen in Sheffield that isn't in a bottle.  I don't think it's unfair to call a beer at £12/pint "pricey".

Nope.

I’ve never said I’ll drink somewhere I don’t like - I said I’d drink something that wasn’t my first preference if I liked the place. Different altogether.

i don’t understand what you mean by “care about beer”. How do you care about beer?

Edited by makapaka

The bickering ends here. 

Discuss the topic/venue please, not each other.

47 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Possibly semantics but I would only tend to call a beer 'pricey' if I considered it overpriced.  So a carling for a fiver is pricey whereas the example given isn't, to me at least. 

BTW you can see more expensive draft beer than that in Brewdog any day, whether it's 'pricey' I'll leave to your judgement ;)

You might be right, there can quite often be something for a third at £6...  You just don't see the "per pint" price.

If I meant overpriced, I'd have said that.  I didn't.

Changing tack, how does someone care about beer?

Well, what I meant was that the taste is important.  It might mean different things to other people.

It sounds like you care about beer cyclone; you deliberately look for a certain style of beer and don`t mind trying  different breweries. People that don`t care stick to (many) pints of the same beer , usually very bland and / or go for the cheap option. Quality not quantity, eh?

Any food at Crow?