Sheffield then and now

17 hours ago, doncasterman said:

In what way did they ruin Sheffield?

The same way as she Ruined Doncaster and the rest of the Flippin country, thats why its full of Tykes and Chavs.  :suspect:

11 hours ago, Broakham said:

No, just a realist. Unfortunately I am very distantly related to Arthur Scargill though.

I wouldn't Bragg about that,   The Traitor. :roll:

I see the thread has turned into a Thatcher bashing exercise, well I'm no Thatcher fan, but seriously as a steel and engineering worker myself since 1977, to keep blaming her is absolute cobblers. I have lost my job several times over my working life through factory closures and restructuring under various  Labour governments too, and as an ex union member of over 30 years and  ex union representative, I can vouch for the fact that power mad commie cronies in the unions were often as bad as any public school Tory twit. what happened to industry around here and everywhere else has happened pretty much worldwide and is as much a consequence of globalisation and capitalist economics and that won't change much anytime soon.

Apparently, Wilson shut 326 pits, and Thatcher continued the policy and shut 154.

I can remember Sheffield from the 50s onwards; much poorer yes, but you could walk anywhere in the city (and leave your car overnight), including the center. But not now, there's several areas I would avoid.

1 hour ago, carosio said:

Apparently, Wilson shut 326 pits, and Thatcher continued the policy and shut 154.

I can remember Sheffield from the 50s onwards; much poorer yes, but you could walk anywhere in the city (and leave your car overnight), including the center. But not now, there's several areas I would avoid.

Yes Wilson did that and steelworks too especially Corby but I believe that most of the miners (Wilson era) were redeployed.

I was born in 1932, Sheffield was a dirty hole until the clean air act. I could however at the age of 14 buy a beautiful sheath knife, essential for camping in the country side around Sheffield.

On 19/01/2019 at 09:23, Michael_W said:

I see the thread has turned into a Thatcher bashing exercise, well I'm no Thatcher fan, but seriously as a steel and engineering worker myself since 1977, to keep blaming her is absolute cobblers. I have lost my job several times over my working life through factory closures and restructuring under various  Labour governments too, and as an ex union member of over 30 years and  ex union representative, I can vouch for the fact that power mad commie cronies in the unions were often as bad as any public school Tory twit. what happened to industry around here and everywhere else has happened pretty much worldwide and is as much a consequence of globalisation and capitalist economics and that won't change much anytime soon.

Hear !  Hear !         :thumbsup: