Sheffield then and now

Hi i would just like to know is Sheffield a lot different now to what it was like in the 70s, 80s and 90s?

Yes it certainly is. In some ways it's better, in others not so. Same with any city.

Look at the start of the Full Monty film.  Sheffield on the move. Now its at a stand still.  A dump, undesirables every where its like summat out of a Charles Dickens book.  It needs cleaning up.  It wasnt like this till Thatcher came to power and that is a fact.  :help:

Edited by PRESLEY

40 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Look at the start of the Full Monty film.  Sheffield on the move. Now its at a stand still.  A dump, undesirables every where its like summat out of a Charles Dickens book.  It needs cleaning up.  It wasnt like this till Thatcher came to power and that is a fact.  :help:

Most of 'em post on SF.

sheffield nightlife was one of best in country now its rubbish 

I moved from Sheffield. Over the pennines to Blackpool in 1984. Go back visiting relatives and friends now and then. Definitely not the same.  I used to live on Deerlands Ave. My old house and most around have been demolished. Don't know what's going to replace them. Thatcher and her motley crew ruined Sheffield and other areas.

6 hours ago, blackhill said:

I moved from Sheffield. Over the pennines to Blackpool in 1984. Go back visiting relatives and friends now and then. Definitely not the same.  I used to live on Deerlands Ave. My old house and most around have been demolished. Don't know what's going to replace them. Thatcher and her motley crew ruined Sheffield and other areas.

In what way did they ruin Sheffield?

1 hour ago, gaz 786 said:

Shut steelworks closed all pits made millions unemployed to start with !

Mining, steelworking and the industrial North and Midlands was destroyed by communist union leaders using their members as cannon-fodder to further their own egotistical political ambitions.

59 minutes ago, Broakham said:

Mining, steelworking and the industrial North and Midlands was destroyed by communist union leaders using their members as cannon-fodder to further their own egotistical political ambitions.

Are you related to Mrs Thatcher by any chance?

10 minutes ago, kidley said:

Are you related to Mrs Thatcher by any chance?

No, just a realist. Unfortunately I am very distantly related to Arthur Scargill though.

9 minutes ago, Broakham said:

No, just a realist. Unfortunately I am very distantly related to Arthur Scargill though.

Who in your opinion closed most of the engineering factorys down, (clue is in the question).