rubbish fires

why are sheffield council turning a blind eye to people burning there house hold waste at least three houses near me burn there waste they have even bought the old style metal bins to burn it in surly this is greatly adding to the poor air quality in the city and is a big problem all over south yorkshire a local patrol could easily find and fine the people doing this and improve our air quality

Why don't you report your neighbours? 

50 minutes ago, mopatop said:

why are sheffield council turning a blind eye to people burning there house hold waste at least three houses near me burn there waste they have even bought the old style metal bins to burn it in surly this is greatly adding to the poor air quality in the city and is a big problem all over south yorkshire a local patrol could easily find and fine the people doing this and improve our air quality

When the council only empty the black wheelie bins every fortnight , what do you expect people to do with their rubbish once the bin is full ? 

Just now, Penistone999 said:

When the council only empty the black wheelie bins every fortnight , what do you expect people to do with their rubbish once the bin is full ? 

How do you make that much rubbish? 

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

How do you make that much rubbish? 

When you sub-let the house to 15 un-related people.

4 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Why don't you report your neighbours? 

Sheffield City Council's official position is that a person can have as many fires as they like in their own garden but if it is near enough to a fence or a building to cause damage then you are to contact the fire brigade. 😡

2 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Sheffield City Council's official position is that a person can have as many fires as they like in their own garden but if it is near enough to a fence or a building to cause damage then you are to contact the fire brigade. 😡

A lot of household rubbish will be plastic, polystyrene etc. Surely that can't be ok??

1 minute ago, woodview said:

A lot of household rubbish will be plastic, polystyrene etc. Surely that can't be ok??

It's not, but the council won't act on it.

A friend has neighbours who actually go looking for old matresses and mdf furniture to burn on summer afternoons when they are having a drink and a smoke and the Antisocial Behaviour Unit told her there is nothing they can do about it but to call the fire bobbies if the fire was too big.

I can add to this as this issue has happened to me. The blue boxes were good and you could fill with cardboard and ask for another and they would give you one , you could even stack cardboard neatly and they would take it. Now since we got a blue bin that is far smaller in size than the old blue boxes we can't get as much in. You put the extra cardboard out as before all stacked nice and neat and they now won't take it..

What options are you then left with ???

I now have to burn the excess card that won't be collected by the council. I did leave it for ages in the old blue boxes and put bits in as and when I could but this started to attract vermin living in the boxes. 

I have no other choice than to burn what they won't take and I can't store because of the rats. Its burnt in a steel bin and controlled which happens 2 times a week , when we had the blue boxes we didn't burn not a once. 

3 hours ago, woodview said:

Why not ?

12 minutes ago, Penistone999 said:

Why not ?

It stinks and it's poisonous.

26 minutes ago, Eric_Collins said:

I can add to this as this issue has happened to me. The blue boxes were good and you could fill with cardboard and ask for another and they would give you one , you could even stack cardboard neatly and they would take it. Now since we got a blue bin that is far smaller in size than the old blue boxes we can't get as much in. You put the extra cardboard out as before all stacked nice and neat and they now won't take it..

What options are you then left with ???

I now have to burn the excess card that won't be collected by the council. I did leave it for ages in the old blue boxes and put bits in as and when I could but this started to attract vermin living in the boxes. 

I have no other choice than to burn what they won't take and I can't store because of the rats. Its burnt in a steel bin and controlled which happens 2 times a week , when we had the blue boxes we didn't burn not a once. 

Are you sure they wont take extra cardboard? We often have extra and theyve always taken it. 
It doesnt make sense for them to be funny about people doing too much recycling!

Edited to add...

It depends on the amount apparently...

We can't take any side waste with your recycling, except for small amounts of neatly bundled, flattened cardboard, which should be no bigger than your blue bin.  Please present this at the same time as your blue bin.

From...

https://www.veolia.co.uk/sheffield/collections-home/collections-home/blue-bin-and-blue-box-recycling-service

Edited by nikki-red