Egg poaching.

I use sillicone "poach pods", just pop a bit of marge / butter in, pop into a large pan with some boiling water in, once the marge has melted, crack the eggs into the "pods"

4 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

Not tried it myself, but it seems you gave it too long.

I tried this method. Didn't turn out too well...

My fault though, I guestimated 'half a cup' by pouring cold tap water in to a large cup until it looked half full. I'll have to give it another go using an exact 125ml of cold water.

Also, as I poured the egg in to the water; the white of the egg seemed to merge and mix in with the water, rather than remain in one blob like you see in the video.

44 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I tried this method. Didn't turn out too well...

My fault though, I guestimated 'half a cup' by pouring cold tap water in to a large cup until it looked half full. I'll have to give it another go using an exact 125ml of cold water.

Also, as I poured the egg in to the water; the white of the egg seemed to merge and mix in with the water, rather than remain in one blob like you see in the video.

pouring the egg into water arent you supposed to put some vinegar in first? to keep the egg in one place?

6 hours ago, woodview said:

I thought this was a thread about stealing a eggs from the local gentry 😀

When I saw the title I thought the same.  Reminded me of the bloke in court for killing a Golden Eagle & eating it.  Be sentencing the judge asks him what it tastes like & then says, "Don't tell me.  I bet it tastes just like chicken?"  "Funny enough your Honour, no it tastes just like Giant Panda!" 

Bit of watter in't pan, gerit boilin, dash o chip oil vinigar, swirl t'watter raand and raand wi a spooin, crack towed egg in't middle o swirling watter, gee it a minute or too, bobs yer uncle, fanny's yer ant, won luverley pooched egg, Gerrit on thi tooast thick wit towd butter. Mmmmm.

Angel1

5 hours ago, geared said:

Tefal do a fancy toaster that has a little side-pod that can poach an egg.

Works really well.

https://www.tefal.co.uk/Breakfast/Toasters/TOAST-N'-EGG-TT5500-black/p/1500576611

£40 to poach an egg.....owd on a bit owd luv...  am a Yorkshireman😉

4 hours ago, Janus said:

The time is only one aspect of the intructions.

What power setting on the microwave?

Not all microwaves are the same. I'm using  700w from 1982. Works perfect, but on full setting with an egg inside I would be expecting the door to fly off.

More details requied.

My microwave is 850 watt..i do my egg on full power 40-45 sec,but don't forget to prick the membrane on the yolk..i don't cover mine either,

or, put some water in the FRYING pan,bring to boil drop egg or eggs in and do to your own taste...better than using a saucepan..but..each to their own.....

I use these. 

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/12116/Poachpod-Silicone-Egg-Poaching-Pods---Pack-of-2?gclid=Cj0KCQiAg_HhBRDNARIsAGHLV53baRNJ4oBYhZRcf0jKdcQWr4fotTmujckTb885LD46TzcSReI6S2saAgB4EALw_wcB&src=gfeed&s_kwcid=AL!49!3!255261707892!!!g!297352413311!&ef_id=XD0qrgAABBLkz0gE:20190115003454:s

Smear the inside with oil so the eggs don't stick. Put a couple of inches of water in a big enough saucepan with a lid. Bring to boil, float the eggs, turn the heat down so it's just simmering, put the lid on. The extra large eggs take five minutes.

I love a proper poached egg - yolk nice & runny, egg white perfectly set - not slimy, but not too rubbery either...   but they are really hard to get right, every time.   My method is more or less exactly the same as Bendix's - although I add a few drops of any white vinegar to the water as it heats - this seems to stop the egg white spreading,  or separating into stringy strands, when you slide it into the hot water.

I also think that the freshness of the eggs is a key factor.  My best results at egg poaching have been when I've stayed with friends who keep laying hens.  Sometimes, we were poaching our eggs within about 20 minutes of them being laid - and they turned out well more often than when I do it with shop-bought eggs.