Problem with tv and iplayer

my TV is probably 10 years old as is the  recorder.Yesterday the recorder died and iplayer has vanished.

To access iplayer I had chromecast  and opened iplayer on AV 4.

The signal to the TV went through the recorder

Attempts to watch programs on the TV resulted in picture break up .

Disconnecting the recorder  enables me to watch Tv programmes but not catch up.

My question is....1)...Should I buy a new recorder and keep the TV

Or. 2). buy new TV which I assume would enable me to view catch up and record programs. 

Any any advice greatly received and if option 2) which TV to buy  and at what cost

If your TV doesn't have HDMI for your Chromecast, you cant use it directly.

At 10 years old it's had a good run. Might be worth option 2. As for price, it all depends on size, quality and features etc. A lot of the lower budget TVs have iPlayer and other catch up services. Some also have DVR built in, you can record direct to USB Drive/HDD

Have a think on...

How much to spend

Screen size & resolution

Features 

Make (If bothered)

Price is the main starting point but with an idea of the above, people should be able to point you in the direction of a decent one.

Edited by zach
I edited!

Picture sharpness was very important to me. I recommend standing in the shop and comparing that if it is important to you.

Technology is moving rapidly. "Smart Tvs" Wifi capability.  I would read up on the tech of TVS on one of the dedicated sites.

Sockets on devices:  "Play display" ports is the latest method of connection on new items in the market.  

Hdmi is  still very popular  and continues to be updated with  newer versions-cable types with greater ability etc. 

8k tvs have been developed. Tech seems infinite.

Edited by Janus

On 13/01/2019 at 18:48, davyboy said:

my TV is probably 10 years old as is the  recorder.Yesterday the recorder died and iplayer has vanished.

To access iplayer I had chromecast  and opened iplayer on AV 4.

The signal to the TV went through the recorder

Attempts to watch programs on the TV resulted in picture break up .

Disconnecting the recorder  enables me to watch Tv programmes but not catch up.

My question is....1)...Should I buy a new recorder and keep the TV

Or. 2). buy new TV which I assume would enable me to view catch up and record programs. 

Any any advice greatly received and if option 2) which TV to buy  and at what cost

On all the TVs I recently looked at that had a record to hard drive facility  " you could only view or record"  you can't watch one channel and record a different one at the same time!

Having recently renegotiated my Internet+ TV bundle with TT which I have been for over 2 years now for one of the deals offered for new customers at end of year, was recently informed that my package for YouView box would be charged at £4 per month (they claim the TV element is not part of a contract) - I have informed them by phone and email that I no longer wish to use their TV services. What was pathetic was the box they provided would sometimes not let you watch a channel if there was a recording clash. So just purchased a Humax FVP-5000T which allows 4 channel recording whilst watching a 5th on a Philips TV purchased in 2005 - great picture. Humax remote has a Netflix button so it is even quicker than the PS4.

Edited by swarfendor437

19 hours ago, Janus said:

Picture sharpness was very important to me. I recommend standing in the shop and comparing that if it is important to you.

The way TVs are displayed in shops is generally not an accurate way to test them. Usually they have something similar to Dynamic mode set which is awful and purely to make the picture "pop" on the shop floor. Plus the harsh shop lighting doesn't help either.

Read up on your reviews, plenty online.

That said, you probably don't need a new TV. What make/model are your TV/recorder? And how are things connected?

Whatever the set up in a TV shop of say a dozen different TVs, you can still  compare one from the other.

3 hours ago, probedb said:

The way TVs are displayed in shops is generally not an accurate way to test them. Usually they have something similar to Dynamic mode set which is awful and purely to make the picture "pop" on the shop floor. Plus the harsh shop lighting doesn't help either.

Read up on your reviews, plenty online.

That said, you probably don't need a new TV. What make/model are your TV/recorder? And how are things connected?

The TV is a Sony Bravia KDL 32V2000,  the recorder a Sagem PVR 6280

The loft aerial cable goes into the recorder "in" , the recorder "out" goes to the TV aerial "in" and a scart lead connects the recorder to theTV.

I have a Chrome cast 1 to get BBC iplayer but sometimes the connection   refuses to cast which is blooming annoying.

Buying a new TV and sound bar is over £800 (Sony or Panasonic) and a Humax recorder ( see post5) from £189, which is a bit of a shock since I last looked.

I shall probably go for the Humax, see how it works with the old TV and then at some stage renew that and get a sound bar as well.

Another thing I'd try is an amazon fire tv stick. My TV is a 6 year old smart TV and the netflix app doesn't work. You look to have 1 HDMI input so you could plug it in there :) It has all the catchup TV services :)

Only about £30. If you don't need the recorder it's a cheaper option.

If you need to record then look at a second hand Humax or similar, I think I have one (can't remember the model) sitting in my parents loft.

Edited by Guest

Well I bought a Humax recorder, went through the quick setup....................nothing.

The old recorder was connected to the TV by a Scart cable, the  Humax through HDMI.

The only HDMI on the TV had been used for Chromecast which has been playing up.

Soooo it looks I shall be buying a new TV😢

Th e old DVD player is also Scart but will have to wait as I reckon I might need a soundbar.😢

How do I setup crowd funding?

As my OH pointed out, one of us could have a holiday on all this and I don't think she meant me!

Would help if you gave model of Humax - one of these might work with it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eximtrade-SCART-Audio-Video-Adapter/dp/B016AM1THO?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duc08-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B016AM1THO

But best if  you contact Humax support?

The recorder I purchased has audio and video outputs so that link to the product I gave you 'should' work.

Humax isFVP 5000T

This evening I have tried to watch a DVD. The open /close button when pressed caused the draw to open and immediately close.I suddenly remembered that When we moved here  11 years ago I had a similar problem which  was solved by moving the unit off the rack shelf  out into the room a couple of feet.

Doing the same with the Humax  has given me the set up screen.

However the box won't connect to my router wirelesslyso I might have to connect using an Ethernet cable.

The router is ca 30 feet from the TV!

Question

once the box has connected to the internet can I disconnect the cable and still retain internet connection?

Edited by davyboy