Consequences of brexit [part 6] read first post before posting

our government has grasped every opportunity to prove that they don't really have an interest supporting jobs, infrastructure and community schemes in the regions.

it's not even as if our EU contributions are all that significant, super-roughly about 1% of total government spending.

if the UK government gave a fig about the regions, they've had plenty of time and money to show it.

speaking as someone who lives, and works, in a region that has benefitted hugely from EU spending (S Yorks), while our own government looks in the other direction, i'm extremely thankful that the EU exists in a form that actively engages in regional development.

example : the AMP.

25 minutes ago, woodview said:

You chose to completely ignore the question. It's our money they are handing out. We pay in £13 BN and they spend £4 BN here for us.

EU membership provides economies of scale. To replicate the many systems we're now walking away from and the bureaucracy this will create will cost far more than our membership dues ever did.

HMRC esitimates customs declarations for business alone will cost anywhere between £6->20bn if we're outside the CU.

There are no savings from leaving the EU, quite the opposite, we've already spent that money several times over.

At best, expect the size, number, scope and cost of any "regenertation" schemes to be severely reduced.

Edited by Magilla

9 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

In what bonkers world can Brexit not possibly be seen as a right wing political phenomenon? 🙄

In the world where people who think they are right-on lefty warriors have been suckered into accepting that unlimited cheap labour is good for the low paid. 'Look lads it's racist to not like it' , and all nod along.

Dream land. If half of them had actually worked in an environment where it affected them, they might not be so smug.

It's a left wing  issue, straight out of Islington, not in the real world.

5 minutes ago, woodview said:

In the world where people who think they are right-on lefty warriors have been suckered into accepting that unlimited cheap labour is good for the low paid. 'Look lads it's racist to not like it' , and all nod along.

Dream land. If half of them had actually worked in an environment where it affected them, they might not be so smug.

It's a left wing  issue, straight out of Islington, not in the real world.

That’s a very strange view of the world. Brexit is now the fault of the left. Well done.

I never stop marvelling at the mental gymnastics Brexiters are capable of to justify the upcoming destruction of the U.K. 

36 minutes ago, woodview said:

You chose to completely ignore the question. It's our money they are handing out. We pay in £13 BN and they spend £4 BN here for us.

Ps cut out the aggressive language.

Are those figures accurate?

Anyway let’s imagine you are right. What do you think happens to the other £9bn?

14 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

Anyway let’s imagine you are right. What do you think happens to the other £9bn?

Bingo! It doesn't just vanish into thin air... :?

9 minutes ago, Magilla said:

Hahahahaha sovereignty? Sovereignty?

Out of the frying pan and into the fire springs to mind

Edited by melthebell

36 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Out of the frying pan and into the fire springs to mind

More so, with every passing day...

Brexit Is Nine Days Away for Exporters Sending Ships to Asia

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-02-07/brexit-is-nine-days-away-for-exporters-sending-ships-to-asia

British exporters risk their goods sitting in quarantine and not being paid for unless a Brexit deal can be found by the end of next week.

“For many companies, it’s not 50 days away, hard Brexit happens nine days from now,” Stephen Phipson, chief executive of the EEF manufacturing lobby group, said. “Those are the first ships that are going to land post-March 29 in southeast Asia. If products get loaded on the ships, exporters have no idea when they land whether they’ll be on a 20 percent tariff regime. Will they need rules of origins certificates?"

The rate of fan hits is going to start increasing fairly quickly soon...

Edited by Magilla

13 hours ago, Gormenghast said:

And the 14million a year it costs to transfer between Strasbourg and Brussels for their meetings because they couldn't decide where they should be held.

Money well spent?????

Partly our money......

Sorry, I got it wrong when I said 14 million.

EU auditors say it's €114 million, about £99.8million in 2017, probably more by now.

Edited by Gormenghast

1 hour ago, I1L2T3 said:

That’s a very strange view of the world. Brexit is now the fault of the left. Well done.

I never stop marvelling at the mental gymnastics Brexiters are capable of to justify the upcoming destruction of the U.K. 

Are those figures accurate?

Other EU projects , CAP payments to French farmers etc.

If you think it's a good idea, I'd ask you to join my home improvement scheme. You pay me £13k per year, and I spend £4k per year doing projects I think are worthwhile for you. You'll love it.

You pay me £13k per year, and I spend £4k per year doing projects I think are worthwhile for you.

Cool, of course, the other 9k has to go towards implementing systems that reduce my existing costs by significant margins... does your scheme do that?

I guess it would have to, otherwise it's not really comparable :?

Edited by Magilla

You pay me £13k per year, and I spend £4k per year doing projects I think are worthwhile for you. You'll love it.

you're conveniently forgetting all the other things we get as members of the EU

access to the single market

established and updated common standards.

farming subidies.

scientific research.

etc.

AND, we get money for regional development. All of that for 2% (?) of total government spending, it's a fantastic deal.

we're going to find that replacing the EU's 'machinery' with our own, is going to cost more, and achieve less.

Edited by ads36