The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

15 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

You don't understand politics do you?

While May's deal is still on the table most Tories will not support an extension to Article 50. Once it falls, all bets are off and what you would do well to remember is that only 30-35 MPs support no deal and a majority have already expressed a desire to avoid no deal.

So add to them all the Tories who are giving May's deal a chance and you  have 500+ MPs who oppose no deal and 30-35 MPs who support no deal.

So we are leaving the EU on 29 March, whatever happens?

****** are we! 😂

Another question will be if the government will collapse beforehand. Only 8 defections from the Tories needed for the ruling coalition to lose its majority. 

Just finished watching the BBC's 'Inside Europe: Ten Years of Turmoil', last night. 3 good episodes with a number of the major European players telling it like it was since 2008, with the exception of Cameron but Osborne gets plenty of air time. 

It's currently available on BBC 's I player & encourage all to watch. It's fascinating to see what has happened in the EU in the past decade that that the ordinary European populace were never privy too,  kept in the dark about; leaders saying one thing then negotiating something entirely different behind the scenes only to try & sell it to their people later; the Merkel & Sarkozy lovin' & basically bugger the rest of Europe as long as France & Germany are kept as the main players; Sarkozy telling Berlusconi to resign & even Obama sticking his nose in on European business. 

Strangest story was during the Greek financial crisis, the German Finance Minister at the time, Wolfgang Schauble,  wanting Greece to sell off its assets as part of the bail out deal, including the Parthenon, while Sarkozy said he wanted Greece thrown out of the EU as there was a chance they could bring the whole thing crashing down. 

European brotherhood & unity my a*se & all this carry on before the UK's brexit referendum in 2016.

No doubt all the complicity is still going on behind closed doors.  So glad we're out of it.  

Edited by Baron99

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

Just finished watching the BBC's 'Inside Europe: Ten Years of Turmoil', last night. 3 good episodes with a number of the major European players telling it like it was since 2008, with the exception of Cameron but Osborne gets plenty of air time. 

It's currently available on BBC 's I player & encourage all to watch. It's fascinating to see what has happened in the EU in the past decade that that the ordinary European populace were never privy too,  kept in the dark about; leaders saying one thing then negotiating something entirely different behind the scenes only to try & sell it to their people later; the Merkel & Sarkozy lovin' & basically bugger the rest of Europe as long as France & Germany are kept as the main players; Sarkozy telling Berlusconi to resign & even Obama sticking his nose in on European business. 

Strangest story was during the Greek financial crisis, the German Finance Minister at the time, Wolfgang Schauble,  wanting Greece to sell off its assets as part of the bail out deal, including the Parthenon, while Sarkozy said he wanted Greece thrown out of the EU as there was a chance they could bring the whole thing crashing down. 

European brotherhood & unity my a*se & all this carry on before the UK's brexit referendum in 2016.

No doubt all the complicity is still going on behind closed doors.  So glad we're out of it.  

Hold on, I didn't think we can believe what the BBC say - they were spewing out pro EU bias when it came to the honda plant closing.

Why can I believe this but not that?

22 hours ago, I1L2T3 said:

Glad you agree it was irrelevant 

I said "irrelevant or not." You seem to have problems understanding that.

22 hours ago, Litotes said:

So, when many brexitreers have advocated the hard brexit and defaulting on the £39B that we owe to the EU.

Do you still maintain that defaulting on that responsible obligation will make other countries of the world want to create agreements with us

But I never said we should default on what we owe and never maintained that we should so don't tar all leavers with the same brush just to make a point.

Edited by apelike

21 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

While May's deal is still on the table most Tories will not support an extension to Article 50. Once it falls, all bets are off and what you would do well to remember is that only 30-35 MPs support no deal and a majority have already expressed a desire to avoid no deal.

But even if a majority of MPs have expressed a desire to avoid a no deal they still need to come up with an alternative that would be binding and could get a majority vote. 

5 hours ago, ez8004 said:

Another question will be if the government will collapse beforehand. Only 8 defections from the Tories needed for the ruling coalition to lose its majority. 

And if the government collapses a new election will need to be called, parliament will be suspended and the A50 clock will still tick on!.

12 minutes ago, apelike said:

And if the government collapses a new election will need to be called, parliament will be suspended and the A50 clock will still tick on!.

Don't get too excited!

If the government fell it would only take a single MP to propose a bill revoking/suspending Article 50 and the speaker to allow it to be debated and voted on, and a Revocation of Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union (2019) Act will be on the statute books. We can then have a general election safe in the knowledge that we will still be a member of the EU when a new government is sworn in.

And if an anti Brexit party wins the election (Labour with a new leader, for example, they don't even have to pass any legislation. They can just get on with putting the interests of the country first.

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

If the government fell it would only take a single MP to propose a bill revoking/suspending Article 50 and the speaker to allow it to be debated and voted on, and a Revocation of Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union (2019) Act will be on the statute books. We can then have a general election safe in the knowledge that we will still be a member of the EU when a new government is sworn in.

If the government fell and an election called then parliament will be dissolved for 25 working days before the election is held. It may take only one MP to propose a bill, I presume you mean a private members bill and if that is the case as we have seen recently it only takes one member to object. Any other proposed bills are done on a rota basis an could take weeks, months or years. Any bills need voting on by both houses and for it to become law it then has to get Royal Assent. Not a quick process and not very do-able in the time left.

The last election was voted for on 19th April, parliament was dissolved on 3rd May and the election took place 8th June so it all happens pretty quickly and with only 9 working days left. 

One correction though, if any bill to revoke A50 becomes law it does not then have to be agreed on by the EU and becomes automatic once the EU have received notification of revocation.

Edited by apelike

Don't get too excited!

. They can just get on with putting the interests of the country first.

like leaving the eu on the 29th of march :thumbsup:

4 minutes ago, apelike said:

The last election was voted for on 19th April, parliament was dissolved on 3rd May and the election took place 8th June so it all happens pretty quickly within only 9 working days. 

9 working days is loads of time !

Don't forget that the Prevention of Terrorism (Temporary Provisions) Act 1974 was announced, draughted, presented to Parliament, debated, passed, voted on in the Lords and received Royal Assent in TWO AND A HALF DAYS!

If you are relying on us being bounced out of the EU by default you will be seriously disappointed. The legislation has already been draughted, Bercow has let it be known that it will go top of the list for Parliamentary business and as I said a couple of days ago, there are at least 500 MPs ready to support it with no more than 30-35 who will oppose it.

2 hours ago, apelike said:

I said "irrelevant or not." You seem to have problems understanding that.

But I never said we should default on what we owe and never maintained that we should so don't tar all leavers with the same brush just to make a point.

I never said it was you - I was asking if you agreed with many of the brexiteers on this thread who wanted to default? I  now know the answer is 'no' - thank you for a straight answer!

And if an anti Brexit party wins the election (Labour with a new leader, for example, they don't even have to pass any legislation. They can just get on with putting the interests of the country first.

I like the idea of a party (which has been discussed) whose only manifesto pledge would be to revoke Article 50.

If elected they would enact these power and then call an election. Clean clear and single activity focused - if they won, no-one could argue "it wasn't clear to me".

There's more chance of plaiting urine before we leave on the 29th of march without a deal. The government will be destroyed first. Hate to break it to you hardened brexiteers, but your fantasy is nearly over. Good luck electing another government daft enough to carry this madness through.