The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/feb/21/liam-fox-post-brexit-trade-plan-go-unscrutinised

But something that has slipped by virtually unnoticed is the government’s plan to include investor-state dispute settlement (ISDS) mechanisms in future trade deals. ISDS clauses let foreign investors sue national governments for introducing policies that harm their profits. They have led to global corporations taking governments to secretive private arbitration courts in cases that can cost taxpayers billions.

"Take back control" :roll:

NOTE: The European Commissions July 2017 factsheet on the EU-Japan EPA:

"the old investor-to-state dispute settlement, is not acceptable. For the EU ISDS is dead”

Edited by Magilla

3 hours ago, Magilla said:

It'll be interesting to see the difference between any Japan deal with the UK and the one the EU has secured.

you mean everything? lol

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

Watching a programme now about the Irish border. If I heard it right, 50k cross the border every day - and over 100 million crossings per year.

love to see how no-deal supporters can sortthat out. Oh of course, they don’t give a toss.

Simples solution ....... use the Irish sea as the border. 

3 minutes ago, Penistone999 said:

The DUP won’t like that. 

5 minutes ago, melthebell said:

you mean everything? lol

Seems we're desperate... bend over sir! :?

Still, I hear Liam Fox has an Atlantic Bridge to sell to leave voters! :hihi:

1 hour ago, Penistone999 said:

So you are advocating the break up of the United Kingdom?

How selfish - "I'm all right, jacques - you can fend for yourselves" - mind you ever since the 23rd June 2016 we've been hearing that...

2 hours ago, apelike said:

Simple, dont have a border as its not legally required to have one. 

So no checks and anything and anybody can come into the country via the Republic and Northern Ireland................................

2 minutes ago, Longcol said:

So no checks and anything and anybody can come into the country via the Republic and Northern Ireland................................

Sounds like free movement of goods, capital, people and contraband brussel sprouts to me.

2 hours ago, apelike said:

Simple, dont have a border as its not legally required to have one. 

Really?

It is a legal requirement under international trade law. Any countries we propose to do a post-Brexit trade deal with, will require the policing of any border where different tariffs apply either side of it.

That is why the only possible solution will require the UK (or part of the UK) being in some form of customs union with the EU. So we can either be in a customs union as a member of the EU and play a part in making the rules or we can be in a customs union outside of the EU and be subject to EU rules but play no part in making these rules. It is a no brainer. Stay, get the benefits and have a say in the rules. 

The Brexit option is just plain stupid and makes little sense, but then we were told this often enough before the referendum. 🙄

20 minutes ago, Phanerothyme said:

Sounds like free movement of goods, capital, people and contraband brussel sprouts to me.

Psssssssssssssst - wanna score some choux bruxelles?

24 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Really?

Yes.

24 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

It is a legal requirement under international trade law. 

As far as I know no such law exists. If it does then maybe you can provide a link to it?

Edited by apelike

9 minutes ago, apelike said:

As far as I know no such law exists. If it does then maybe you can provide a link to it?

Why not make it even easier and get rid of all borders and checks - it'd save hours of mucking about at the channel / north sea ports - not to mention queuing at airports  😎