The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

27 minutes ago, Shunter said:

Do people of the remain camp have no other words of description to use other than Thick or Stupid when addressing a leave voter?

If you paid more attention to what people were posting, you would see that what they are describing as 'thick' or 'stupid' are the things that people are posting rather than the person themselves. 

1 hour ago, Magilla said:

According to every car industry & Japanese trade "expert" (and now the UK's previous ambassador to Japan) that has been on CH4, BBC, Sky and pretty much everywhere else is saying Brexit *is* a factor in Honda's move.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexit/fanciful-to-say-honda-didnt-consider-brexit-when-closing-swindon/ar-BBTPQum

Fukunari Kimura, an economics professor at Keio University in Tokyo, said: “We do not even know what tariffs would be applied after March; firms cannot make any decisions but a simple withdrawal on how to reformulate production networks.”

Honda won't say so because Brexit is political... Japanese companies are polite and don't want any backlash.

In essence, the only people claiming Brexit wasn't a factor are those with a vested self interest... sounds familiar :hihi:

Why are Honda closing their operations in Turkey, which is in the customs union, and will remain in the customs union after the UK leave the EU?

Let's just ignore the fact that the Honda plant in Swindon has only been running at 50% of capacity for a few years now.

1 hour ago, Magilla said:

According to every car industry & Japanese trade "expert" (and now the UK's previous ambassador to Japan) that has been on CH4, BBC, Sky and pretty much everywhere else is saying Brexit *is* a factor in Honda's move.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexit/fanciful-to-say-honda-didnt-consider-brexit-when-closing-swindon/ar-BBTPQum

Fukunari Kimura, an economics professor at Keio University in Tokyo, said: “We do not even know what tariffs would be applied after March; firms cannot make any decisions but a simple withdrawal on how to reformulate production networks.”

Honda won't say so because Brexit is political... Japanese companies are polite and don't want any backlash.

In essence, the only people claiming Brexit wasn't a factor are those with a vested self interest... sounds familiar :hihi:

On Jeremy Vine today there were weirdos phoning in to encourage boycots of all Japanese cars, so you can see why they're being careful.

If the cap fits! :roll:

Lies, damned lies, and statistics. 

Angel1.

11 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

Why are Honda closing their operations in Turkey, which is in the customs union, and will remain in the customs union after the UK leave the EU?

You do realise that by constantly banging on about Honda in Turkey, you are admitting that all the other factory closures or investment withdrawals or cancellations are definitely down to Brexit?

You had better pray that Honda don't admit that it was Brexit or you will be left with nothing for your 'Project Fear' theory! 😂 

24 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

Let's just ignore the fact that the Honda plant in Swindon has only been running at 50% of capacity for a few years now.

I am sure that there are good commercial reasons for this decision,other than,but not totally excluding where the U.K. will stand after whatever form of Brexit is arrived at. 

A no deal Brexit is just the worst possible outcome.

Whilst there was life there was hope,and only months ago Honda were saying that this plant was part of their plans.

Now it has gone forever,but the greater issue is not just existing investment that is being withdrawn,but we have made our country unattractive for future inward investment,

Edited by RJRB

34 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

Not because of zero tariffs, since that won't happen until 2026.

As per the ambassadors comment, Brexit means Honda couldn't even quantify the loss they're going to take. In many ways their hands were tied, sooner rather than later.

For all we know, Brexit could have been the straw that broke the camels back. Turkey is in crisis, and the UK possibly the same soon.... better to re-locate both now rather than wait.

I am not saying Brexit was the only factor, far from it, but to suggest it was inconsequential really does defy belief.

I'm not ignoring anything, I'm simply repeating what a lot of people who work in the auto trade, and who deal with Japan said on pretty much every TV/Radio channel since the announcement.

Edited by Magilla

2 hours ago, melthebell said:

Voting to make yourself poorer deliberately is idiocy, idiocy is idiocy there is no other words

Im 100% confident i wont be poorer after we leave the EU. 

2 minutes ago, Penistone999 said:

well unless youre rees mogg, farage or bojo you aint gonna be richer

Edited by melthebell

31 minutes ago, Penistone999 said:

I am sure that there are many,myself included who should not suffer greatly as a result of Brexit.

I would be more concerned for myself,if I did not have a good pension,if I still had a mortgage or if I was trying to rent a property.

But there again we do need a strong economy to fund the NHS for most of us,and social services for those who are not so fortunate.

Now how does leaving the EU enhance our future prospects.

Perhaps you will make additional contributions to the food banks or make contributions to the increasing number of homeless.

Edited by RJRB

12 minutes ago, RJRB said:

Perhaps you will make additional contributions to the food banks or make contributions to the increasing number of homeless.

I will be happy to if that scenario pans out but first, do people use food banks because they can or because they have to? BTW I dont think the homeless use food banks as they wont have anywhere to cook or store the food.

Edited by apelike

4 minutes ago, apelike said:

I will be happy to if that scenario pans out but first, do people use food banks because they can or because they have to? BTW I dont think the homeless use food banks as they wont have anywhere to cook or store the food.

Not a tangent worth pursuing.

Lets just concentrate on how Brexit will strengthen our economy so that there are less homeless,and less need for food banks.

7 minutes ago, RJRB said:

Lets just concentrate on how Brexit will strengthen our economy so that there are less homeless,and less need for food banks.

But even with a very buoyant economy we have homeless and also food-bank use so brexit should not make much diference either way. Why do we have that situation in the first place and why would a stronger economy make a difference?

Edited by apelike