The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

2 hours ago, hobinfoot said:

Just except that not everything that's done in business is related to brexit.

2 hours ago, Lockdoctor said:

It's not at all puzzling because Honda have explained their reasons for closing the Swindon plant in 2021.  Unlike Nissan, Honda didn't  seek any money from our Government which is why they can be honest and not blame Brexit or make statements such as what Nissan did saying "Brexit uncertainty is not helpful for future planning'' 

Honda have stated 

"We've always seen Brexit as something we'll get through, but these changes globally are something we will have to respond to. We deeply regret the impact it will have on the Swindon community."

Some posters try too hard in blaming Brexit for every negative economic event.  Turkey are not leaving the customs union and Honda are closing their operations there, for the same reasons they are closing the Swindon plant.

Repetitive this, isn't it? I will add to it: Honda will not acknowledge Brexit as (part of) the reason it closes Swindon because it hopes to still sell cars in the United Kingdom. Closing the factory alone is already damaging its reputation here, why add to it by slapping a: Cause of Brexit! poster on the shutters?

8 minutes ago, tzijlstra said:

Closing the factory alone is already damaging its reputation here, why add to it by slapping a: Cause of Brexit! poster on the shutters?

Because it probably not the reason why?

25 minutes ago, tzijlstra said:

Repetitive this, isn't it? I will add to it: Honda will not acknowledge Brexit as (part of) the reason it closes Swindon because it hopes to still sell cars in the United Kingdom. Closing the factory alone is already damaging its reputation here, why add to it by slapping a: Cause of Brexit! poster on the shutters?

With all due respect you are losing the plot.  

48 minutes ago, apelike said:

Because it probably not the reason why?

Isn't it? Are you saying it did not contribute to the decision? Because noises from the Japanese government are that they are hacked off over Brexit happening 30 years after the UK invited Japanese business in with the main reason given by Maggie: Access to the entire single market of the EU.

30 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

Obviously well behind you on that one.

Edit: Oops - BMW will transfer main production of the Mini, icon of the UK, to the Netherlands in case of a hard Brexit. Not only that, the Dutch plant has seen a 40% increase in staffing levels since last year. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-autoshow-paris-bmw/bmw-would-up-dutch-production-in-hard-brexit-scenario-ceo-idUSKCN1MC0ZL?utm_source=reddit.com&utm_source=reddit.com&utm_source=reddit.com

Darnit, I am so lost...

Edited by tzijlstra

It is fair to say that as many false hopes there may be from the Brexit camp, there are just as many false blaming exercises coming from the remain camp, the biggest one at the moment being Honda are leaving because of Brexit, despite their British CEO saying it's nothing to do with Brexit!! They have clearly stated that it's all regarding the introduction of electric cars that the Swindon factory couldn't produce economically and would be better built in Japan, where to be honest are the finest technology and skills in electronics. Also worth noting that there are no other Honda factories anywhere in Europe. 

For all us "on the fence" voters, it's becoming increasingly difficult to take either camp seriously!!!

My tip to the sensationalists would be to just copy and paste real news from the people and industries that matter, rather than personal "I think this, and I think that"  claptrap that is basically fake news designed to mislead (just like our governments do!!)

4 minutes ago, Shunter said:

that is basically fake news designed to mislead (just like our governments do!!)

Just like your on the fence voter comment?

47 minutes ago, tzijlstra said:

Obviously well behind you on that one.

Edit: Oops - BMW will transfer main production of the Mini, icon of the UK, to the Netherlands in case of a hard Brexit. Not only that, the Dutch plant has seen a 40% increase in staffing levels since last year. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-autoshow-paris-bmw/bmw-would-up-dutch-production-in-hard-brexit-scenario-ceo-idUSKCN1MC0ZL?utm_source=reddit.com&utm_source=reddit.com&utm_source=reddit.com

Darnit, I am so lost...

I didn't see that one coming.   You've just done a Cruyff Turn and turned a discussion about Honda into a discussion about BMW.

1 hour ago, Lockdoctor said:

Nope. He's talking sense. The decision is clearly influenced by the EU Japan trade agreement.

Do you think the direct job losses and indirect job losses are a price worth paying?

What about the BMW announcement? Do you think the loss of production is a price worth paying?

Can you identify a single gain from the Brexit process, that negates the list of losses?

9 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Just like your on the fence voter comment?

This is the problem you see. The majority of remainers are convinced that a lot of leave voters are now swaying toward the remain camp due to the last two years of uncertainty, and quite rightly so. But one thing that is apparent is that the huge amount of people that didn't vote, myself included, have also had two years to watch and listen to events unfolding, which includes prominent remain voters like yourself, to assume that anyone who disses a remainer remark must be the enemy!!

Pig headedness at best really, and typical of the backward thinking of tunnel visioned people, and governments.

Everything and every argument needs to be considered when making a decision, from all sides.

1 hour ago, tzijlstra said:

Isn't it? Are you saying it did not contribute to the decision?

I am saying that we don't know if it contributed given the fact that the car industry is struggling everywhere at the moment and also the fact they stated it was not a factor. Obviously remainers will turn any news like this into "it was because of brexit" because it suits their agenda of doom and misinformation.

Edited by apelike

4 minutes ago, Shunter said:

This is the problem you see. The majority of remainers are convinced that a lot of leave voters are now swaying toward the remain camp due to the last two years of uncertainty, and quite rightly so. But one thing that is apparent is that the huge amount of people that didn't vote, myself included, have also had two years to watch and listen to events unfolding, which includes prominent remain voters like yourself, to assume that anyone who disses a remainer remark must be the enemy!!

Pig headedness at best really, and typical of the backward thinking of tunnel visioned people, and governments.

Everything and every argument needs to be considered when making a decision, from all sides.

no what i see is a load of people (who apparently voted remain or "on the fence" )who are more obsessed about leaving than normal everyday joe bloggs leave voters, theres at least 4 on here...very strange

Edited by melthebell