The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

15 minutes ago, geared said:

May's off to meet with Juncker again, well not today actually tomorrow.

I don't get any sense of urgency in this yet??  We're down to a few short weeks and she's still faffing around.

Is there even a firm date for the final vote on her deal?

its failed twice yet shes that stubborn and pig headed and doesnt want to even contemplate that its rubbish and she better get a plan B

2 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Regardless of whether this decision was directly down to Brexit or not, the past two years have seen a steady withdrawal of investment and capital out of the UK as well as a decline in the value of sterling.

Those who think that we should be shouting louder at the EU for a better deal would do well to look around at our economic situation and wake up to the fact that we are in no place to demand anything.

Do you mean economic situations like ......  ?

UK employment hits another record high

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47290331

Edited by nikki-red
Ridiculous font size

More Brexit Good News

Average weekly wages rose by 3.4% in the year to December 2018.

Regular earnings growth (excluding bonuses) rose by 3.4% to December 2018.

The ruling class have long predicted economic doom and disaster to be visited upon the working class for not voting as they were instructed in the June 2016 People's Vote.

But Brexit is already forcing rich bosses to offer pay increases to their workers. Brexit is delivering a blow against capitalism and the ruling class oppressors who support Remaining in the EU.

55 minutes ago, L00b said:

Their decision councides temporally with the timepoint at which, in view of new car development cycles and this strong market demand for EVs models, they needed to decide whether to invest substantially in the UK to retool for EVs or not.

The uncertainty maintained by the handling of Brexit has facilitated their decision. We can't say it was decisive, but we can't say it hasn't had any effect either: show me which other non-EU car manufacturers are winding down their car plants elsewhere in the EU27?

Honda stated that their sales in the U.K. & Europe have been been bad for years. They say that it therefore makes sense to switch manufacturing to Japan because sales there the US and China are good and easier to transport to.

8 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

NHS figures show 111,000 full-time vacancies in the NHS in England, 41,000 of them nurses, and at the weekend health and social care secretary Matt Hancock was unable to explain how these would be filled.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/nhs-10-year-plan-nurses-doctors-staff-shortages-recruitment-overseas-training-a8715751.html

Perhaps if wages rise too much they will increase interest rates? I recall this being said before.

1 hour ago, melthebell said:

theres no such thing as a free lunch, it all costs somewhere

That is true. With raising taxes its a question of where to place those taxes.

Should we place taxes on good things like jobs in the form of income tax, or should we place them on imports that have a massive carbon footprint because they have travelled over a thousand miles?

44 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

Honda stated that their sales in the U.K. & Europe have been been bad for years. They say that it therefore makes sense to switch manufacturing to Japan because sales there the US and China are good and easier to transport to.

I haven't disagreed with that, as a matter of fact I acknowledged it. See post #3204.

So, we're agreed that it's OK to hold businesses to their word, when they claim that they are closing UK operations and/or shifting  jobs out of the UK because of Brexit, in whole or part,

Glad we cleared that up.

Have at it (and no, as far as I can see Honda isn't mentioned on that page, since its forthcoming closure is not attributed to Brexit).

Edited by L00b

2 hours ago, Lockdoctor said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47290331

2 hours ago, Car Boot said:

More Brexit Good News

Average weekly wages rose by 3.4% in the year to December 2018.

Regular earnings growth (excluding bonuses) rose by 3.4% to December 2018.

The ruling class have long predicted economic doom and disaster to be visited upon the working class for not voting as they were instructed in the June 2016 People's Vote.

But Brexit is already forcing rich bosses to offer pay increases to their workers. Brexit is delivering a blow against capitalism and the ruling class oppressors who support Remaining in the EU.

This is reasonably good news - major concern about the lack of increase in GDP however, normally an overheated employment market means more economic output, that isn't the case, the fact that inflation is set to drop as well is also bad news.

This together means that we are heading for longer working weeks for everybody.

Edited by nikki-red
Ridiculous font size

48 minutes ago, L00b said:

I haven't disagreed with that, as a matter of fact I acknowledged it. See post #3204.

So, we're agreed that it's OK to hold businesses to their word, when they claim that they are closing UK operations and/or shifting  jobs out of the UK because of Brexit, in whole or part,

Glad we cleared that up.

Have at it (and no, as far as I can see Honda isn't mentioned on that page, since its forthcoming closure is not attributed to Brexit).

If a company says its moving because of brexit I except their word. And the heads of Honda say that the reason for returning production to Japan was the poor sales in Europe and seeing their best markets are Japan China & USA and that electric cars are the future it makes financial sense.

Edited by hobinfoot

3 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

If a company says its moving because of brexit I except their word. And the heads of Honda say that the reason for returning production to Japan was the poor sales in Europe and seeing their best markets are Japan China & USA and that electric cars are the future it makes financial sense.

Except that Honda would potentially lose sales if it acknowledged the decision was down to Brexit. The line they are giving now is marketing driven, that is how business works.

12 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

It's a strange turn around for Brexiteers, especially for one of the local MPs to Swindon,  who was very quick to jump on the statement that the car plant closing was nothing to do with Brexit.

Prior to and just after the Brexit vote Honda, and other car manufacturers warned of car plants closing if Brexit went ahead. Then of course, the cry was from Brexiteers, "we shouldn't listen to the experts".

Now the experts, in this case Honda, have spoken, Brexiteers are quick to agree with what they say. 

Edited by Mister M

9 minutes ago, tzijlstra said:

Except that Honda would potentially lose sales if it acknowledged the decision was down to Brexit. 

This was why Tesco and ASDA delayed their statements last year that their businesses were being damaged by Brexit uncertainty. They believed that many Leave supporters were of a demographic that was more likely to shop there.