The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

Honda have said it's nothing to do with brexit. So take them at their word and except that some decisions companies do make have nothing to do with it.

13 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

Honda have said it's nothing to do with brexit. So take them at their word and except that some decisions companies do make have nothing to do with it.

Sure, so long as we can apply your standard to all those other employers who said they are moving jobs to the EU because of Brexit. Fair enough?

Edited by L00b

Nissan, Panasonic, Honda and Sony have all made significant announcements regarding in the last couple of months - since a hard Brexit was on the cards.

All in the last few months, all of whom  had issued statements this would happen.

Coincidence? Apparently so.... 

3 minutes ago, L00b said:

Sure, so long as we can apply your standard to all those other employers who said they are moving jobs to the EU because of Brexit. Fair enough?

It's nothing to do with my standards. And it's quite clear that some companies have made their decisions because of  brexit.

1 hour ago, geared said:

and with the new Japan->EU trade agreement in place they can now manufacture at home and ship over here without the tariffs they faced before.

So free trade has cost UK jobs and tax revenues, why is everyone clambering for free trade?

1 hour ago, geared said:

and with the new Japan->EU trade agreement in place they can now manufacture at home and ship over here without the tariffs they faced before.

This is more likely the real reason as it keeps the jobs in Japan and they pay no tariffs to sell to the EU. Even if we didn’t brexit they would more likely have still moved production out of the U.K. as they were only here for the EU access. The Japan EU trade deal was always going to sting us in this way...

Honda’s exit is based on many factors, but Brexit is certainly one

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/feb/18/hondas-exit-is-based-on-many-factors-but-brexit-is-certainly-one

I certainly don't trust Justin Tomlinson (Conservative MP for North Swindon) and the business secretary, Greg Clark, that the decision was down to global market trends and not related to Brexit.

2 hours ago, geared said:

Honda say it's not down to Brexit so thats fair enough, I imagine they don't want to get sucked into the total mess that Brexit is.

The marketplace is changing rapidly, they said there is an extraordinary push towards electric vehicles.

They need to be careful where money is invested, clearly we are not a smart investment so will not get the work.

Their decision councides temporally with the timepoint at which, in view of new car development cycles and this strong market demand for EVs models, they needed to decide whether to invest substantially in the UK to retool for EVs or not.

The uncertainty maintained by the handling of Brexit has facilitated their decision. We can't say it was decisive, but we can't say it hasn't had any effect either: show me which other non-EU car manufacturers are winding down their car plants elsewhere in the EU27?

10 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

It's nothing to do with my standards. And it's quite clear that some companies have made their decisions because of  brexit.

Of course it is.

Your position is that we should take what Honda said at face value, so that's your standard of objectivity: what the manufacturer says.

I'm saying that's fine, so long as that standard is consistently applied, ie when a manufacturer says they're closing their UK plant because of Brexit, then we take that at face value too.

Regardless of whether this decision was directly down to Brexit or not, the past two years have seen a steady withdrawal of investment and capital out of the UK as well as a decline in the value of sterling.

Those who think that we should be shouting louder at the EU for a better deal would do well to look around at our economic situation and wake up to the fact that we are in no place to demand anything.

19 minutes ago, El Cid said:

So free trade has cost UK jobs and tax revenues, why is everyone clambering for free trade?

theres no such thing as a free lunch, it all costs somewhere

May's off to meet with Juncker again, well not today actually tomorrow.

I don't get any sense of urgency in this yet??  We're down to a few short weeks and she's still faffing around.

Is there even a firm date for the final vote on her deal?

Edited by geared