The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

14 minutes ago, convert said:

Looks like Nigel has had enough of all this faffing around by May.

https://www.thebrexitparty.org/

I thought we'd seen the last of him when he failed to get elected for about the 5th time. I knew it was too good to be true....

This means he'll be on Question Time even more than anyone else - complaining that the BBC completely ignores him :rolleyes:

34 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Hence Farage's 'Breaking Point' campaign poster designed without a shadow of a doubt to appeal to those for whom the colour of an immigrant's skin is the primary concern. Exactly the same with the facebook fake news adverts about Turkish accession to the EU.

A lot of organisations are saying that  net migration could increase after Brexit. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/02/12/net-migration-could-increase-100000-governments-post-brexit/

The Daily Mail, Brexit voters and the Daily Mail will go swivel eyed if true :wow:

Edited by Mister M

1 hour ago, L00b said:

That one's easy enough to answer: look how the UK was growing until 2016 (good-ish), look how the UK has been growing since 2016 (not so good, going into worse), compare with how comparable economies (say the G7) have been growing since 2016 (better than the UK).

The UK ran out of steam, oddly on its own when the rest of the world was still growing. The main differentiator over the period, all things considered, is Brexit (and its handling over the period, to date: that is very important, more so than the vote, because that is what has brought, then amplified, uncertainty for the business world). So without Brexit you'd have been well ahead of where you are now. That's simple logic.

Crucially, your national economy wouldn't be missing 10s of £bns' worth of investment already: that one's going to hurt the most over the next few years, because you're not even in catch-up mode yet. And you haven't left yet, either.

THE European Union economy has hit a shock slowdown sparking fears of a continent-wide meltdown as the surprise news caused a dramatic slump in the value of the euro. Economists in the European Union are scrambling to fix an impending economic meltdown following a shock plunge in Germany and France. The two leading EU countries suffered a dramatic economic slump after a business survey of the two countries was released. Emmanuel Macron and Angela Merkel were hit by weaker than expected figures, with fears that the two so-called "engines of Europe" could in fact drag down the bloc.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

Angel1

1 minute ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

THE European Union economy has hit a shock slowdown sparking fears of a continent-wide meltdown as the surprise news caused a dramatic slump in the value of the euro. Economists in the European Union are scrambling to fix an impending economic meltdown following a shock plunge in Germany and France. The two leading EU countries suffered a dramatic economic slump after a business survey of the two countries was released. Emmanuel Macron and Angela Merkel were hit by weaker than expected figures, with fears that the two so-called "engines of Europe" could in fact drag down the bloc.

Angel1

Gee, let me guess: The Express? Around mid-December 2018?

11 minutes ago, L00b said:

Gee, let me guess: The Express? Around mid-December 2018?

Yup, nail on head. But it doesn't alter the fact it's true though, does it.

Angel1.

16 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Angel1

Only the uneducated would repeat this mantra. It is very easy to look past the numbers and determine if what is being presented is an honest representation or not. 

Statistics is a very powerful branch of mathematics that is used all the time and is generally used to expand our understanding on many things. 

28 minutes ago, ez8004 said:

Only the uneducated would repeat this mantra.

Considering it was the educated that first came up with the phrase I doubt it. 

It is very easy to look past the numbers and determine if what is being presented is an honest representation or not. 

But when you get projected estimates and then compare them with the actual figures then say because there has been a decline in the estimated figures we are all then £1500 worse off it fits in with the mantra. Its like saying a company has made a loss when in reality it has not made as much money as it was projected to do. Its how the figures are used that makes the difference, ask TCH as he is good at it.

The fact is there is a global slowdown which is set to continue for a while and that is also affecting the EU as well as the UK.

Edited by apelike

1 minute ago, apelike said:

Considering it was the educated that first came up with the phrase I doubt it. 

But when you get projected estimates and then compare them with the actual figures then say because there has been a decline in the estimated figures we are all then £1500 worse off it fits in with the mantra. Its like saying a company has made a loss when in reality it has not made as much money as it was projected to do. Its how the figures are used that makes the difference, ask TCH as he is good at it.

You could say Remain under performed in the referendum, as it only got 48% of the vote, and not the expected 50% +

2 hours ago, L00b said:

Do you understand the word 'average'?

Can I suggest that you re-read what I wrote, and perhaps have another think, rather than just understand what you want to understand?

I'm well aware what average means so you can drop the sarcasm. It's easy just to say we are £1,500 worse off without mentioning average. Most working class family's will not be £1,500 

worse off and they make up the majority of voters.

18 hours ago, Magilla said:

Fair enough, though since they didn't vote to be poorer, I say they'll care now. Wouldn't you?

Yes, let's have a second referendum.

I say that's unlikely given the polling. Remain was widely considered a forgone conclusion.

Yes, that was my point. They may have wanted to leave but thought there was no point since Remain looked a foregone conclusion. Resignation rather than complacency.

True enough, but I think everyone knows you don't change stuff by sitting at home and doing nothing.

Or by selectively bending voting statistics to suit an argument.

Since Brexit is pretty much about preventing a split in the Tories and keeping them electable, the people who didn't vote are a real problem if the economy slows and public services continue to struggle along in permanent crisis.

Hence May try to delay rather than risk no-deal:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/12/theresa-mays-brexit-tactic-my-way-or-a-long-delay

Brexit was about a split in the country, not just the Conservative (and Labour...) Party. There was pent up demand for a referendum, hence huge UKIP support in European elections.

38 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

I'm well aware what average means so you can drop the sarcasm. It's easy just to say we are £1,500 worse off without mentioning average. Most working class family's will not be £1,500 

worse off and they make up the majority of voters.

How do you know they’re not worse off?

My Brexit bill is several thousand pounds already in terms of additional expenditure

10 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

How do you know they’re not worse off?

My Brexit bill is several thousand pounds already in terms of additional expenditure

Because I have friends who would say if they were loosing that amount due to brexit.