The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

41 minutes ago, Magilla said:

Aye, though not by you :rolleyes:

Hardly, it's far more likely those who didn't vote were perfectly happy with the status quo.

They didn't make a choice to be poorer, that much is certain.

Good idea, when you are in a minority, just add on those who didn't vote to your own tally. You've convinced everyone.🙄

13 minutes ago, woodview said:

Good idea, when you are in a minority, just add on those who didn't vote to your own tally.

You think people didn't vote because they wanted to change the status quo? :rolleyes:

13 minutes ago, woodview said:

You've convinced everyone.🙄

.. or it's blindingly obvious :?

8 minutes ago, Magilla said:

You think people didn't vote because they wanted to change the status quo? :rolleyes:

.. or it's blindingly obvious :?

Also, if you discount all the ones who voted leave who are left handed, plus add in all the cats and dogs who are barred from voting, Remain got 92% 

10 minutes ago, Magilla said:

Maybe they didn't vote because they didn't care? Or they wanted to vote leave but abstained because they thought it was a foregone conclusion? It's irrelevant as you will never know how they would have voted. All we do know is that more people voted for leave than remain.

4 minutes ago, woodview said:

Also, if you discount all the ones who voted leave who are left handed, plus add in all the cats and dogs who are barred from voting, Remain got 92% 

Do you think people who didn't vote wanted to change the status quo?

Just now, Magilla said:

Do you think people who didn't vote wanted to change the status quo?

I think the people who didn't vote, didn't want to vote.

The system we use is quite complex. You get the ballot papers of those who did vote. Then you add them up. The one with the highest number wins.

5 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Maybe they didn't vote because they didn't care?

Fair enough, though since they didn't vote to be poorer, I say they'll care now. Wouldn't you?

Or they wanted to vote leave but abstained because they thought it was a foregone conclusion?

I say that's unlikely given the polling. Remain was widely considered a forgone conclusion.

It's irrelevant as you will never know how they would have voted.

True enough, but I think everyone knows you don't change stuff by sitting at home and doing nothing.

All we do know is that more people voted for leave than remain.

Since Brexit is pretty much about preventing a split in the Tories and keeping them electable, the people who didn't vote are a real problem if the economy slows and public services continue to struggle along in permanent crisis.

Hence May try to delay rather than risk no-deal:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/12/theresa-mays-brexit-tactic-my-way-or-a-long-delay

54 minutes ago, woodview said:

I think the people who didn't vote, didn't want to vote.

They were happy with the status quo, or certainly, didn't care enough to try to change it.

They didn't vote to make themselves poorer and exacerbate the crisis in public services, self evidently.

The system we use is quite complex. You get the ballot papers of those who did vote. Then you add them up. The one with the highest number wins.

Aye, great shame that what you won is actually a loss in prosperity, individual rights, influence and well.. everything really, except blue passports :?

Since Brexit is entirely about keeping the Tory party electable, it's slightly awkward that that sort of thing can get governments voted out.

Those who didn't vote in the referendum don't just "not count", what they think is really quite important if you want to get elected again.

Of course, it doesn't help that brexit, in light of reality, makes no sense... it's utterly backward and stupid. The "greatest act of national self-harm in postwar history"!

Hence why everyone I know, leaver, remainer and none-voter wants to just bin it entirely now.

Anyway, I thought you were all about compromise these days? :hihi:

Edited by Magilla

31 minutes ago, woodview said:

You get the ballot papers of those who did vote. Then you add them up. The one with the highest number wins.

Yes but what does that actually mean?

It was an advisory referendum so there were no winners, just a measure of the level of support for leaving the EU.

Despite Leave supporters being more likely to partake in what was seen as a referendum created for them to express their views, and a very targetted Russian and US campaign of fake news designed to help the leave campaign, the Vote Leave campaign could still only manage to get 36.7% of the electorate to support them.

So tell me again exactly how 'leave' won?

13 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Yes but what does that actually mean?

It was an advisory referendum so there were no winners, just a measure of the level of support for leaving the EU.

Despite Leave supporters being more likely to partake in what was seen as a referendum created for them to express their views, and a very targetted Russian and US campaign of fake news designed to help the leave campaign, the Vote Leave campaign could still only manage to get 36.7% of the electorate to support them.

By getting more votes in a referendum to decide whether to leave the EU or stay in it?

7 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I'll wager there's a more than even chance the prize will be being the butt of jokes and ridicule for a few decades :hihi:

I was listening to radio four about an exporter that put his goods on airfreight instead of the usual sea-freight; sea-freight takes 6 weeks and the exporter would not know what tariffs would be applied until the goods reached their destination.

A 10% tariff could mean he would make a loss!  Brexit is affecting exports now!