The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

30 minutes ago, Phanerothyme said:

No you didn't dream it, but you didn't read L00bs post either, evidently.

:hihi:

10 minutes ago, janie48 said:

Well you should class yourself as European as well as English. 

You might even be descended from Viking or Roman invaders

I went to school in Penistone.

A number appeared to be descended from orcs and / or trolls.

Edited by Longcol

1 hour ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Ireland voted against the Lisbon Treaty. Top Cat's Hat was implying they're a nation of raging Europhiles. Hardly the reality is it?

Was I?

What I was saying was that Ireland as another island nation, was perfectly capable of seeing themselves as both Irish and good Europeans without retreating into nationalism and xenophobia.

Yes, they disagreed with the Lisbon Treaty, voted against it leading to its renegotiation then voted in favour. It's called engaging in the process and playing a full part in the democratic life of the EU. A much more grown up response than throwing your toys out of the pram and walking out.

No, my point was that you can be an island nation and still be progressive and forward looking rather than brainless nationalists as some were trying to insist.

38 minutes ago, L00b said:

Past the 'so-called austerity'? 

That's not what your national statistics portray, nor what your Ministers say (see Amber Rudd today, a representative example), nor what your charities say, nor what the UN says....some bubble you must be living in.

When I say "you", it's the pro-Brexit Brits, since you're in charge of the place.

As for asking me where I'm from and your third sentence, I'm wholly unsurprised by it, so thanks for humouring me. My name is Inigo Montoya and English is my third language :P

Edit: here, have some good news, Peston eventually gets what I've been seeing since summer 2017.

I'm not a pro-Brexit Brit. I'm still undecided.

My third sentence was an attempt at ironic humour, quoting a comedy sketch.

7 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Was I?

What I was saying was that Ireland as another island nation, was perfectly capable of seeing themselves as both Irish and good Europeans without retreating into nationalism and xenophobia.

Yes, they disagreed with the Lisbon Treaty, voted against it leading to its renegotiation then voted in favour. It's called engaging in the process and playing a full part in the democratic life of the EU. A much more grown up response than throwing your toys out of the pram and walking out.

No, my point was that you can be an island nation and still be progressive and forward looking rather than brainless nationalists as some were trying to insist.

Isn't voting for Brexit also engaging in democracy? Or is it only democratic when you agree with it?

Edited by WiseOwl182

34 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

I'm not a pro-Brexit Brit. I'm still undecided.

My third sentence was an attempt at ironic humour, quoting a comedy sketch.

Did you expect me to believe that or something? :suspect:

Right, me neither. Glad we understand each other :D

4 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Isn't voting for Brexit also engaging in democracy? Or is it only democratic when you agree with it?

The referendum didn't really engage with any of the issues to do with our membership of the EU as can be seen by the number of "No one told us about this!" questions that have arisen since 2016. 

7 hours ago, L00b said:

Did you expect me to believe that or something? :suspect:

Right, me neither. Glad we understand each other :D

Believe what you like, it's the truth. I actually voted remain.

4 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Believe what you like, it's the truth. I actually voted remain.

There are several other posters that fit, or have previously fitted, that 'on the fence' position you claim to be in, in debate at least. Not that I'm after pigeon-holing you, I take every poster as they come. But since your posts are the only objective evidence at hand, I can only believe what I read: your posts include a lot of Brexity untruths and dog whistles, and don't read like those of a remain voter (with Lockdoctor usefully providing that fabled exception which confirms the rule) or 'on the fence' person.

And it doesn't make a blind bit of difference to the debated points, nor to the situation the UK is in. Nothing to see here, carry on.

12 hours ago, Longcol said:

I went to school in Penistone.

A number appeared to be descended from orcs and / or trolls.

Yorkshire has a lot of Viking history. 

Though apparently those despicable foreigners were made welcome eventually.

13 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

We're past the (so called) 'austerity'.

Come on, hand on heart, did you really believe a word of what you just posted? Seriously...

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/feb/11/hammond-austerity-5bn-short-meeting-target-ifs-promise

£5bn just to stand still, austerity ending won't actually help depleted public services :rolleyes:

The disaster that austerity has wrought on public services, that led to the Brexit "protest vote" in the first place, is likely to continue for decades more as a result of.... yep... Brexit!

Slow clap guys... slow clap! :hihi:

Seems like May is devoting her limited future as the P.M. who delivered Brexit,whatever the cost to the country.

She is in thrall to the right wing of her party and her only aim is to preserve the Conservative party.To say unify would be too strong a term.

At this stage ,due to her procrastination I am more fearful of a No Deal.

Corbyn sits on the fence waiting for the catastrophe that will allow him a chance of winning a position that he has done nothing to earn.

It all amounts to dereliction of duty by our Parliament and many will suffer as a result.

Edited by RJRB

8 minutes ago, RJRB said:

Seems like May is devoting her limited future as the P.M. who delivered Brexit,whatever the cost to the country.

She is in thrall to the right wing of her party and her only aim is to preserve the Conservative party.To say unify would be too strong a term.

At this stage ,due to her procrastination I am more fearful of a No Deal.

Corbyn sits on the fence waiting for the catastrophe that will allow him a chance of winning a position that he has done nothing to earn.

It all amounts to dereliction of duty by our Parliament and many will suffer as a result.

Sack all 650 and get 650 like you do for Jury service and I'd be more confident.