The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

13 minutes ago, L00b said:

Didn't Ireland vote against the Lisbon Treaty before getting asked again to give the "right" answer? No, they voted against the first Lisbon Treaty out of ignorance mostly (read your own link), and when their concerns were presented to -and taken on board in the draft Treaty- by the EU, they voted again on a different, slightly amended Treaty.

Democracy in action, right there.

As for being 'raging Europhiles', the EU is polling 82% approval rate with them currently. I don't know if that measure qualifies for 'raging' in your book (it very probably does), but it's 'Europhile' beyond a shadow of a doubt.

I happened to bump into a charming example, very recent arrival, at the townhall no later than last Saturday morning, as we were registering to vote at the upcoming EU elections. No different to all the other Irish people I've known for over 15 years now, in the Republic and beyond.

They know what the EU has done for them over the years, and which side their bread is buttered. They did the austerity bit after 2008, moreover under the ECB cosh, and have rocketed their way out if it since (offerring to repay the UK loan early as well, but the UK didn't accept as it wanted the full interests).

The UK hasn't, and you are where you are.

That's the reality. 

The UK hasn't what?

It's not bad in itself, but better to read it, digest it, follow up some sources and then pronounce on it.

Just now, WiseOwl182 said:

The UK hasn't what?

rocketed it's way out if the 2008 crash/recession like Ireland has.

2 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Quoting Wikipedia. Oh dear....

Did the Irish rejection of the (initial attempt at) the Lisbon Treaty not happen then? Has someone made it up on Wikipedia? Did I dream it in 2008?

Just now, WiseOwl182 said:

The UK hasn't what?

Got itself past the post-2008 austerity: you're still wallowing aimlessly in the middle of it, and you've voted for a second helping with Brexit -twice when you factor the 2017GE- just as the current global economic cycle is fast running out of puff.

Impeccable timing, lads.

1 minute ago, Phanerothyme said:

rocketed it's way out if the 2008 crash/recession like Ireland has.

Record employment, growing economy and a deficit that has been slashed. It's not doing badly, and is a much larger economy than Ireland. How has the rest of the EU fared since the crash?

8 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Record employment, growing economy and a deficit that has been slashed. It's not doing badly, and is a much larger economy than Ireland. How has the rest of the EU fared since the crash?

Better than this  - https://www.ft.com/content/deaaffba-2df3-11e9-ba00-0251022932c8

"Four consecutive quarters of declining business investment, 2018 recording the lowest annual growth rate for the economy since the financial crisis of 2009 and a slump in output last December of 0.4%."

Edited by Phanerothyme

1 minute ago, L00b said:

Got itself past the post-2008 austerity: you're still wallowing aimlessly in the middle of it, and you've voted for a second helping with Brexit -twice when you factor the 2017GE- just as the current global economic cycle is fast running out of puff.

Impeccable timing, lads.

We're past the (so called) 'austerity'.

When you say "you", where are you from?

This is a local forum for local people. We'll have no trouble here.

1 minute ago, WiseOwl182 said:

How's all that doing for the NHS, Councils and their services, the disabled, the homeless, social inequality and mobility (etc, etc, etc...it's a long list)?

Your 'record employment' is McJobs and ZHCs, wage purchase parity is still stuck at pre-2008 levels or thereabouts, your economy in 2018 has had its worst year since 2008 and your deficit -which should have been nil'd last year or the year before that- and national debt have taken on a fair few more £bn's worth of Brexit contingency money since June 2016.

15 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

so why are you determined to knock us straight back into one...that will be far harder and longer than the last 8 year one

22 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

When you say "you", where are you from?

This is a local forum for local people. We'll have no trouble here.

Past the 'so-called austerity'? 

That's not what your national statistics portray, nor what your Ministers say (see Amber Rudd today, a representative example), nor what your charities say, nor what the UN says....some bubble you must be living in.

When I say "you", it's the pro-Brexit Brits, since you're in charge of the place.

As for asking me where I'm from and your third sentence, I'm wholly unsurprised by it, so thanks for humouring me. My name is Inigo Montoya and English is my third language :P

Edit: here, have some good news, Peston eventually gets what I've been seeing since summer 2017.

Edited by L00b

4 hours ago, Penistone999 said:

I never have and never will class myself as European . Im English. 

Well you should class yourself as European as well as English. 

You might even be descended from Viking or Roman invaders

Edited by janie48