The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

2 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Have you never heard of the Channel Tunnel?

It's been around for a couple of decades now. 😉

A transportation method has no relation to a national sense of identity. And 20 years (nearer 30 now) is a blink of an eye in the scheme of things.

And didn't Ireland vote against the Lisbon Treaty before getting asked again to give the "right" answer?

Edited by WiseOwl182

4 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Have you never heard of the Channel Tunnel?

It's been around for a couple of decades now. 😉

If i had my way id brick it up at our end 

Just now, Penistone999 said:

That's because you're daft.

7 minutes ago, Penistone999 said:

Shall we shut down the ports as well?

19 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

And didn't Ireland vote against the Lisbon Treaty before getting asked again to give the "right" answer?

That old rubbish again? Really?!?  

Are you Leavers incapable of learning anything?

Edited by L00b

8 hours ago, I1L2T3 said:

Shall we shut down the ports as well?

It seems that's what  Kim Jong Penistone wants.

Edited by Mister Gee

2 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

And so? Did you even read your link?

Jump to "Second Referendum", right at the bottom:

In the meeting of the European Council (the meeting of the heads of government of all twenty-seven European Union member states) in Brussels on 11–12 December 2008, Taoiseach Brian Cowen presented the concerns of the Irish people relating to taxation policy, family, social and ethical issues, and Ireland's policy of neutrality. Effectively Ireland's position was renegotiated, and the revised package was approved by the electorate in 2009.

5 minutes ago, L00b said:

And so? Did you even read your link?

Jump to "Second Referendum", right at the bottom:

Ireland voted against the Lisbon Treaty. Top Cat's Hat was implying they're a nation of raging Europhiles. Hardly the reality is it?

12 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Ireland voted against the Lisbon Treaty. Top Cat's Hat was implying they're a nation of raging Europhiles. Hardly the reality is it?

Didn't Ireland vote against the Lisbon Treaty before getting asked again to give the "right" answer? No, they voted against the first Lisbon Treaty out of ignorance mostly (read your own link), and when their concerns were presented to -and taken on board in the draft Treaty- by the EU, they voted again on a different, slightly amended Treaty.

Democracy in action, right there.

As for being 'raging Europhiles', the EU is polling 82% approval rate with them currently. I don't know if that measure qualifies for 'raging' in your book (it very probably does), but it's 'Europhile' beyond a shadow of a doubt.

I happened to bump into a charming example, very recent arrival, at the townhall no later than last Saturday morning, as we were registering to vote at the upcoming EU elections. No different to all the other Irish people I've known for over 15 years now, in the Republic and beyond.

They know what the EU has done for them over the years, and which side their bread is buttered. They did the austerity bit after 2008, moreover under the ECB cosh, and have rocketed their way out if it since (offerring to repay the UK loan early as well, but the UK didn't accept as it wanted the full interests).

The UK hasn't, and you are where you are.

That's the reality. 
Edited by L00b

7 minutes ago, L00b said:

Didn't Ireland vote against the Lisbon Treaty before getting asked again to give the "right" answer? No, they voted against the first Lisbon Treaty out of ignorance mostly (read your own link), and when their concerns were presented to -and taken on board in the draft Treaty- by the EU, they voted again on a different, slightly amended Treaty.

Democracy in action, right there.

As for being 'raging Europhiles', the EU is polling 82% approval rate with them currently. I don't know if that measure qualifies for 'raging' in your book (it very probably does), but it's 'Europhile' beyond a shadow of a doubt.

They know what the EU has done for them over the years, and which side their bread is buttered. They did the austerity bit after 2008, moreover under the ECB cosh, and have rocketed their way out if it since (offerring to repay the UK loan early as well, but the UK didn't accept as it wanted the full interests).

The UK hasn't, and you are where you are.

That's the reality. 

Neat!