The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

41 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

you're genes will be mostly european 

*Your

You don't know his ancestry, and what even is "European"? If you go back far enough we have genes from everywhere, but we are the nationality of the country we're born in.

17 minutes ago, Shunter said:

In all my years I have never once proclaimed that I am European. Never. When I'm asked on a form what nationality I am, I've always said British. If there was any substance to this brand new theory that we Brits are now European Continentals, it must have been since the advent of Brexit!!

I have no axes to grind with anyone and just wish this whole Brexit cafuffle would end, but I will never be a European. Whichever way it ends up.

Nobody is asking you to say you are EUropean first

4 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

*Your

You don't know his ancestry, and what even is "European"? If you go back far enough we have genes from everywhere, but we are the nationality of the country we're born in.

Nationality versus ethnicity

Nice twist

3 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

Nationality versus ethnicity

Nice twist

Where do 'Europeans' originate from?

4 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Where do 'Europeans' originate from?

Same place as English people

19 minutes ago, RJRB said:

Not sure what point you are making.

Europe is a continent made up of individual countries from the Scandinavia to the Mediterranean.

Like you I have filled in many a form with my nationality as British,but I do acknowledge that physically we sit in the continent of Europe.

I think it's because I don't acknowledge being European at all. Never have done and certainly never spoke or said it out loud to anyone, ever. As I said earlier, I can only assume it's current presence in general talk because of Brexit.

12 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Where's that?

The world

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

And I think that most of us don't class ourselves as stupid but that doesn't mean that there are very few stupid people.

Parochialism, nationalism and tribalism have no place in the twenty first century!

Speak for yourself. 

8 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

The world

Exactly. So it's meaningless. Classing oneself as British or English before European is perfectly valid.

Just now, WiseOwl182 said:

Exactly. So it's meaningless. Classing oneself as British or English before European is perfectly valid.

I never said it want valid. I’d consider myself   English. Then British. Then European.

And I’m a hardcore remainer

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

The Irish are even more of an island race with an even greater sense of identity than we have, yet the vast majority of them have no problem seeing themselves as European.

Why are the Irish even more and an "island race"? Is Ireland more of an island than Britain? 

And didn't Ireland vote against the Lisbon Treaty before getting asked again to give the "right" answer?

Edited by WiseOwl182

1 minute ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Why are the Irish even more and an "island race"? Is Ireland more of an island than Britain? 

Have you never heard of the Channel Tunnel?

It's been around for a couple of decades now. 😉