only because you choose not to class them that way

in all things that matter, we are continentals 

Only if you come from the Continent.

1 minute ago, retep said:

Only if you come from the Continent.

we all come from the continent 

2 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

we all come from the continent 

It could be argued we all come from Africa but you wouldn't call yourself African.

Obviously technically and in reality we are european, I think the point being made is that lots of people consider 'europeans' to be french, spanish, german etc.

If you did a quick fire question, for random people to name a european country, I'd bet €10 that 'uk' would be low down on the list of answers.

4 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

No, we are not a separate race. We are white Caucasians and a good number of us have continental ancestry. In the North you’re 30% or more German, in the south 40% or more French

You seriously haven’t got a clue

Actually those things do, and that’s the problem.

Things are going to get much much worse

Why do you need to get personal ? All I said was that most of us in the UK don't class ourselves as European. Obviously we have ancestors who came from the European mainland. But we have been an island for thousands of years and island nations tend to develop a different mentality to others.

29 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

We are an island race and I think you'll find most of us don't class ourselves as European.

The Irish are even more of an island race with an even greater sense of identity than we have, yet the vast majority of them have no problem seeing themselves as European.

12 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

The Irish are even more of an island race with an even greater sense of identity than we have, yet the vast majority of them have no problem seeing themselves as European.

When I last looked we were both islands. And what makes you think the Irish have a greater sense of identity than the English Scots or Welsh?

In all my years I have never once proclaimed that I am European. Never. When I'm asked on a form what nationality I am, I've always said British. If there was any substance to this brand new theory that we Brits are now European Continentals, it must have been since the advent of Brexit!!

I have no axes to grind with anyone and just wish this whole Brexit cafuffle would end, but I will never be a European. Whichever way it ends up.

23 hours ago, Litotes said:

Already have done - read the thread!

As always with you, a well argued and substantiated answer - NOT!

Best way forwards would be a single transferable vote with all the leave scheme on the paper, and also remain.

At the moment, remain would win - which is why the beleavers don't want to offer the electorate a democratic choice.

Isn't that exactly what I suggested a few posts earlier?

When asked where are you from I answer,  when asked by anyone not from the UK , in this order...

Yorkshire,

Sheffield,

British,

European,

The World.

The order will change depending on who is asking.

However, its got nowt to do with  Remain or Brexit.  I don't feel threatened by other Europeans and don't spout any of that jingoistic nonsense.

For me Remainers react from the head and Brexiters from the heart. 

Many Remainers cannot see , or feel, that  - and its a big reason  why the Remain campaign failed.  

As for Brexiters  read this -    His  Boss suggests than he would be  better off as a  Eurpoean man. “No,” insists The Brexiter. “Why ?”  he asks  “You couldn’t possibly have earned, by your work, such clothes and such living as I have given you.” “Know’s all that Boss says  The Brexiter. “But I’d rather have poor clothes, poor house, poor everything and have ’em British, than have the best, and have ’em  a Eurpean's.”

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/feb/01/poorer-brexiters-worse-off-working-class-leavers

1 minute ago, Shunter said:

In all my years I have never once proclaimed that I am European. Never. When I'm asked on a form what nationality I am, I've always said British. If there was any substance to this brand new theory that we Brits are now European Continentals, it must have been since the advent of Brexit!!

I have no axes to grind with anyone and just wish this whole Brexit cafuffle would end, but I will never be a European. Whichever way it ends up.

Not sure what point you are making.

Europe is a continent made up of individual countries from the Scandinavia to the Mediterranean.

Like you I have filled in many a form with my nationality as British,but I do acknowledge that physically we sit in the continent of Europe.

23 hours ago, Litotes said:

Already have done - read the thread!

There's over 200 pages because the mods deem that it's easier to follow one huge thread than different threads that break down a subject. It isn't, so I can't find your post.

Here is the claim:

"Of course it all depends on when a second vote is held but the remain vote is increasing every day and has been since June 2016."

Where is the link that shows that every day for the last 2 and a half years, remain has been increasing its vote share? It would be on 100% by now if that was true. Polls just before the referendum put remain slightly ahead in the early 50%s. Polls today put it about the same. Maybe it's been increasing at 0.00001% per day for 2 and a half years? Link please.

Edited by WiseOwl182