The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

9 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

On the subject of polls, if EVERY credible poll since 2016 including one of 20,000 people say that between 52-56% of those polled support remaining in the EU you can be fairly sure that the majority of UK citizens support remaining in the EU.

Repeating the 'but polls get it wrong' mantra just makes you look stupid.

Define "credible"? Are they just the ones you like the outcome of? Because some polls have put leave ahead still.

Besides, the "polls get it wrong" claim is far from stupid. Almost every poll on the run up to the referendum put remain comfortably ahead. Yet leave still won. Maybe it's shy leaver syndrome where people don't want to be sneered at down the phone when asked how they would vote?

7 hours ago, El Cid said:

None of this is about a conspiracy of the elite against the working class, its a few individuals of crave power and maybe wealth, Bo-Jo and Farage ....

Exactly. 

Davis gets paid £3k an hour by JCB. Farage is on well north of £500k a year. Many more examples.

How are they not the elite?

The truth is they’re just one faction of the elite fighting against another faction of the elite. The Tory party has been torn apart by exactly this for decades.

1 minute ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Define "credible"? Are they just the ones you like the outcome of? Because some polls have put leave ahead still.

Besides, the "polls get it wrong" claim is far from stupid. Almost every poll on the run up to the referendum put remain comfortably ahead. Yet leave still won. Maybe it's shy leaver syndrome where people don't want to be sneered at down the phone when asked how they would vote?

Polls are consistently favouring remain. Last one I looked at was 53-42 in favour of staying.

Politicians do need to take this in account.

The last poll I looked at had Leave on 45 per cent and Remain on 55 percent.

This was taken on 22 June 2016.

I wonder how that turned out?

It's amusing that you seem to be proud of not having looked at any evidence in the last 2.5 years!

2 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

It's amusing that you seem to be proud of not having looked at any evidence in the last 2.5 years!

Head bury sand springs to mind

12 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Head bury sand springs to mind

I voted LEAVE in the referendum.

Seven weeks until Freedom Day.

Edited by Car Boot

56 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

I voted LEAVE in the referendum.

Seven weeks until Freedom Day.

We’re staying in the customs union and essentially  keeping the same four freedoms. All fine with me lol. 

2 hours ago, I1L2T3 said:

Polls are consistently favouring remain. Last one I looked at was 53-42 in favour of staying.

Politicians do need to take this in account.

At the risk of repeating myself (but I have to, because people keep ignoring the inconvenient reality) the polls were consistently putting Remain ahead in 2016 too, and we all know how that turned out. They mean nothing. My theory is that a chunk of people will pretend to be Remainers when polled to avoid being sneered at or labelled "xenophobic", "uneducated" or "wacist".

25 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

At the risk of repeating myself (but I have to, because people keep ignoring the inconvenient reality) the polls were consistently putting Remain ahead in 2016 too, and we all know how that turned out. They mean nothing. My theory is that a chunk of people will pretend to be Remainers when polled to avoid being sneered at or labelled "xenophobic", "uneducated" or "wacist".

Only one way to settle this argument.

Peoples vote for the final Brexit deal vs Remain.

Then we can all get on with it.

2 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Why would someone waste their time looking at opinion polls after the 2016 referendum has taken place?  It's a bit like  looking at  yesterday's  weather forecast after you have been out all day in the rain today,  to find out if you should have taken an umbrella with you.

59 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

How patronising.

I could equally content that a number of people would claim to stay voting leave because now that they know the true impact of leaving, they realise they were duped by the lies peddled by BoJo et al and daren't admit they will vote remain due to the threat of violence against them from the leave camp.

6 minutes ago, Litotes said:

How patronising.

I could equally content that a number of people would claim to stay voting leave because now that they know the true impact of leaving, they realise they were duped by the lies peddled by BoJo et al and daren't admit they will vote remain due to the threat of violence against them from the leave camp.

So why are Remain still only edging it in the polls then, much like they were in 2016?

41 minutes ago, RJRB said:

Only one way to settle this argument.

Peoples vote for the final Brexit deal vs Remain.

Then we can all get on with it.

Agreed.