9 minutes ago, Magilla said:

Hahahahaha sovereignty? Sovereignty?

Out of the frying pan and into the fire springs to mind

Edited by melthebell

36 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Out of the frying pan and into the fire springs to mind

More so, with every passing day...

Brexit Is Nine Days Away for Exporters Sending Ships to Asia

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-02-07/brexit-is-nine-days-away-for-exporters-sending-ships-to-asia

British exporters risk their goods sitting in quarantine and not being paid for unless a Brexit deal can be found by the end of next week.

“For many companies, it’s not 50 days away, hard Brexit happens nine days from now,” Stephen Phipson, chief executive of the EEF manufacturing lobby group, said. “Those are the first ships that are going to land post-March 29 in southeast Asia. If products get loaded on the ships, exporters have no idea when they land whether they’ll be on a 20 percent tariff regime. Will they need rules of origins certificates?"

The rate of fan hits is going to start increasing fairly quickly soon...

Edited by Magilla

13 hours ago, Gormenghast said:

And the 14million a year it costs to transfer between Strasbourg and Brussels for their meetings because they couldn't decide where they should be held.

Money well spent?????

Partly our money......

Sorry, I got it wrong when I said 14 million.

EU auditors say it's €114 million, about £99.8million in 2017, probably more by now.

Edited by Gormenghast

1 hour ago, I1L2T3 said:

That’s a very strange view of the world. Brexit is now the fault of the left. Well done.

I never stop marvelling at the mental gymnastics Brexiters are capable of to justify the upcoming destruction of the U.K. 

Are those figures accurate?

Anyway let’s imagine you are right. What do you think happens to the other £9bn?

Other EU projects , CAP payments to French farmers etc.

If you think it's a good idea, I'd ask you to join my home improvement scheme. You pay me £13k per year, and I spend £4k per year doing projects I think are worthwhile for you. You'll love it.

You pay me £13k per year, and I spend £4k per year doing projects I think are worthwhile for you.

Cool, of course, the other 9k has to go towards implementing systems that reduce my existing costs by significant margins... does your scheme do that?

I guess it would have to, otherwise it's not really comparable :?

Edited by Magilla

You pay me £13k per year, and I spend £4k per year doing projects I think are worthwhile for you. You'll love it.

you're conveniently forgetting all the other things we get as members of the EU

access to the single market

established and updated common standards.

farming subidies.

scientific research.

etc.

AND, we get money for regional development. All of that for 2% (?) of total government spending, it's a fantastic deal.

we're going to find that replacing the EU's 'machinery' with our own, is going to cost more, and achieve less.

Edited by ads36

13 hours ago, Penistone999 said:

Spot on. When we voted in the 70`s , we voted to join the common market , not a dictatorship run from Brussels. 

This is a bit of a myth. Many leading politicians of the day in the no camp made it clear it was more than just a common market (though its clearly not a dictatorship!)

https://infacts.org/mythbusts/voters-werent-conned-1975-referendum/

30 minutes ago, nightrider said:

This is a bit of a myth. Many leading politicians of the day in the no camp made it clear it was more than just a common market (though its clearly not a dictatorship!)

https://infacts.org/mythbusts/voters-werent-conned-1975-referendum/

This,

I do declare that no foreign prince, person, prelate, state or potentate hath or ought to have jurisdiction, power, superiority, pre-eminence or authority within this Realm.' Since this Bill has not been repealed it is clear that every treaty Britain has signed with the EU has been illegal.

4 hours ago, woodview said:

You chose to completely ignore the question. It's our money they are handing out. We pay in £13 BN and they spend £4 BN here for us.

Ps cut out the aggressive language.

I think that it has been well discussed that we are a nett contributor to The EU budget,the reason being that we have had a stronger economy and infrastructure than some other member countries.

This goes to the essence of the EU in creating a more balanced wider economy which does much to decrease tensions and frictions in a very unstable world.

Brexiteers are prepared to gamble that we can maintain our economy on the world stage without the many trade deals with and through the EU.

I do not think that we can,certainly in the foreseeable future,but regrettably we have already severely damaged our relationships with our neighbours.

We had something worth building on but now set about re inventing the wheel.

50 minutes ago, RJRB said:

I think that it has been well discussed that we are a nett contributor to The EU budget,the reason being that we have had a stronger economy and infrastructure than some other member countries.

The 'we give them more money than they give us back' is a ridiculous argument which shows that most Leave supporters know very little of economics and don't really know what the EU actually is other than 'something foreign' and we don't like foreign.

The UK economy benefits to the tune of multiple times our nett contribution from EU membership which is why the withdrawal negotiations were always going to be very one sided. Any negotiations can only mitgate the enormous damage this whole exercise is going to cause.

As previously discussed, the decision to leave the EU has already cost us more than ten years' contributions and we have got nothing to show for it other than being seen as a complete laughing stock on the world stage.

6 hours ago, woodview said:

You chose to completely ignore the question. It's our money they are handing out. We pay in £13 BN and they spend £4 BN here for us.

Ps cut out the aggressive language.

So why won’t the government commit to the future development of the South West to the same levels as the EU if it is so simple?

You really are narrow minded and can’t see the much bigger picture. 

Yes, we are a net contributor to the EU budget. But do we really get NOTHING in return as you imply? Access to a market worth $19.1 TRILLION is not worth it. Is this access for free? Wait a minute, it isn’t free as shown in current negotiations. 

We are exploiting this single market market more than most by far. So is it really a surprise that we should contribute more?

Edited by ez8004

Doctor Bateman I feel argued the point well on John Humpries show this morning