The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

The Tories tried to please people by getting rid of some MPs, it should be looked at, as a whole. My area has 3 councillors, would it make any difference to reduce that to two?

I never really commented on the number of representatives per constituancy.  I wouldn't necessarily reduce either the number of MPs or the number of councillors. 

I'd perhaps introduce some sort of limit on membership of the house of lords but  i wouldn't want to move to an elected second chamber without a complete review of the entire way we are governed, including the crown, house of commons, the parliaments/assemblies in wales, scotland and northern ireland, executive agencies and other quangos, and the various tiers of local government. i'd also want to look at a proper written constitution and voting reform.

the last couple of years have shown that the perceived stability of our system of government is an illusion, changing one bit without thinking about the others risks making the i nstability worse. 

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

Many services are provided by private companies, voters don't know if they are provided by the council or Government funds. Schools are paid by direct government grants, with some council run, but still essentially government funded.

this is part of the problem, though it's interesting that the government has been allowed to essentially nationalise the school system and then turn it into franchises with hardly a squeak of opposition. 

Nissan won't be building the next-generation X-Trail at its plant in Sunderland:
https://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/business/it-s-got-nothing-to-do-with-diesel-and-everything-to-do-with-brexit-11-things-you-said-about-nissan-confirming-x-trail-won-t-be-built-in-sunderland-1-9573078

"Any cutbacks in any jobs should be reserved for the Brexiteers who voted for it."

Suspect we'll be seeing a lot more of that sort of sentiment in the next few months.

31 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Our immigration 'target' has been less than 100,000 since 2010, leaving the EU won't change that target.

There is roughly half and half, from inside and outside the EU, leaving the EU could mean we get more immigration from outside of the EU, which is what Nigel Farage said.

but that target was a number off the top of david cameron's head without any sort of assessment of how many we really need and the different sorts of immigrant, students, economic migrants, foreign multimillionaire criminals etc.

44 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

You do not have the right to impose that on the majority of the UK citizens who do not share your view.

Wow, me Vs 66 million, that's a lot of responsibility. Luckily I'm man enough to shoulder it 😎

3 minutes ago, woodview said:

Wow, me Vs 66 million, that's a lot of responsibility. Luckily I'm man enough to shoulder it 😎

you have penny and locky to help you 

48 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

That's all very well but it come at an enormous (as yet not totally determined) cost.

We get caught up in the economic damage that leaving the EU will do but Andrew Marr's interview with Sajid Javid this morning made clear, our nation's security  will be compromised too. You do not have the right to impose that on the majority of the UK citizens who do not share your view.

Project fear, simple.  It is unbelievable that a Nations security will be threatened by Brexit.  Example, we have concrete evidence that a "situation" is about to happen in France say.  Whoever it is in our Country who passes on this kind of intel would contact their French counterparts double quick. Reverse the situation and I am dammed certain the French would do exactly as we did, double quick. Why, because it is both countries interests to do it, Brexit having nothing to do with the situation.

As for  Sajid Javid, he would say that wouldn't he, he is a Remainer for Gods sake.

Angel1

2 hours ago, woodview said:

I fundamentally don't agree with an EU type organisation, with a parliament and a spreading influence and an expansionist agenda.

I want a national government with complete authority, which cannot be overuled by any outside body.

I don't want to pay billions to be a member of a trade body.

EEC type organisation, fine.

I don't agree with unrestricted free movement from anywhere. Movement to a pre-agreed job, in a shortage area, on a rolling work visa, fine.

They are my personal feelings, and on balance Leave gives the best fit for me.

I'm not part of a Leave organisation, or movement. I disagree with lots of things other Leave voters think 

I also disagree with what a lot of Remain voters think, and even more so the condescending attitude a large number exhibit in forums. In the real world, much better discussions to be had on the topic with Remainer friends in the pub or at work.

All your concerns are based on myths and misunderstandings, and a failure to realise that the U.K. government has always had an arsenal available to control movement, even while we are part of the EU.

Sorry but you’ve been had.

3 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Project fear, simple.  It is unbelievable that a Nations security will be threatened by Brexit.  Example, we have concrete evidence that a "situation" is about to happen in France say.  Whoever it is in our Country who passes on this kind of intel would contact their French counterparts double quick. Reverse the situation and I am dammed certain the French would do exactly as we did, double quick. Why, because it is both countries interests to do it, Brexit having nothing to do with the situation.

As for  Sajid Javid, he would say that wouldn't he, he is a Remainer for Gods sake.

Angel1

It’s project Reality mate.

Javid is talking out of his backside

28 minutes ago, Magilla said:

Nissan won't be building the next-generation X-Trail at its plant in Sunderland:
https://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/business/it-s-got-nothing-to-do-with-diesel-and-everything-to-do-with-brexit-11-things-you-said-about-nissan-confirming-x-trail-won-t-be-built-in-sunderland-1-9573078

"Any cutbacks in any jobs should be reserved for the Brexiteers who voted for it."

Suspect we'll be seeing a lot more of that sort of sentiment in the next few months.

It’s only fair. They said they’d be happy to take a personal economic hit, even if it meant hardship and job losses for themselves and family.

Now it’s time for them to take that hit. 

16 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

All your concerns are based on myths and misunderstandings.

Wow, I'll have re-evaluate my whole life.

I'll not be posting 'til I get back from the Tibetan monastery.

Good luck everybody.

1 hour ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Angel1

Why is it unbelievable? What if by informing us, the french put their intel sources in danger - they wouldn't say a word! Project 'simples' according to some and yet, project reality is a lot scarier - its just that some won't accept it!

1 hour ago, I1L2T3 said:

All your concerns are based on myths and misunderstandings

I would say the views are based on emotions, rather than hard facts of the situation. I too have a deep feeling the democracy needs to get closer to the people.

To set laws in our Parliament, that are meaningless because all big firms follow EU regulation, irrespective of our rules.

I have been looking for some new LED bulbs with a bayonet fitting, but they are now becoming scarce, not because of UK rules, but because of technology and things made differently in different countries.

27 minutes ago, Litotes said:

Why is it unbelievable? What if by informing us, the french put their intel sources in danger - they wouldn't say a word! Project 'simples' according to some and yet, project reality is a lot scarier - its just that some won't accept it!

that situation could arise now for either party, i imagine either side face with this situation would do all they could to pass the information on while protecting the source. 

even after separation, direct evidence of an upcoming attack would be shared, what could end will be the sharing of information about suspicions and people on the edges of these groups.

42 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

that situation could arise now for either party, i imagine either side face with this situation would do all they could to pass the information on while protecting the source. 

even after separation, direct evidence of an upcoming attack would be shared, what could end will be the sharing of information about suspicions and people on the edges of these groups.

You seem to speak with authority rather than supposition "direct evidence of an upcoming attack would be shared" - you must be on the inside - can you share any other facts?

Or are these just assumptions?