The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

1 hour ago, L00b said:

Something I've long said about Brexit, its politics and its debate in the UK: it's a damning indictment of the British educational system, doubling as a developer for the latent ignorance of the population about all things EU.

This can't be emphasised enough!

On Radio Four's Any Answers before Xmas, a dude rang in to take issue with something someone had said on the previous night's Any Questions. After about 20 seconds it became obvious that he didn't actualy know what the EU was. Also before Xmas I was in a Brexit discussion with someone whose 'Sovereignty' argument was based on the understanding that the EU is allowed to make British laws which we have to follow but we don't have a say in making, as only mainland European countries are allowed to vote in the European Parliament.

Now this bloke isn't a UKIP member and doesn't spend all his time on far-right websites so where does he get all this fake news from?

Surely it can't all be from facebook? 😱

25 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Just seen the PM speaking in the Commons today.  How did she put it? 

"I hate to disappoint but there will be no second referendum.  We will work to secure the mandate given to us by the people." 

I was also surprised to see the many agreeing, acknowledging head from the Labour benches. 

Gowd bless St. Theresa! 

Aww bless. You think the PM has a mandate to do anything. 

20 minutes ago, ez8004 said:

Aww bless. You think the PM has a mandate to do anything. 

Having watched a lot of the debate it really disappoints me to hear Labours only reply is the mantra of staying in the CU. they know we can't stay in a CU without staying in the EU.

15 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

Having watched a lot of the debate it really disappoints me to hear Labours only reply is the mantra of staying in the CU. they know we can't stay in a CU without staying in the EU.

We can. Norway is in the CU and not in the EU

Seriously, why lie?

13 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

We can. Norway is in the CU and not in the EU

Seriously, why lie?

And Norway has to abide by EU rules. That for us is not leaving.

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

This can't be emphasised enough!

On Radio Four's Any Answers before Xmas, a dude rang in to take issue with something someone had said on the previous night's Any Questions. After about 20 seconds it became obvious that he didn't actualy know what the EU was. Also before Xmas I was in a Brexit discussion with someone whose 'Sovereignty' argument was based on the understanding that the EU is allowed to make British laws which we have to follow but we don't have a say in making, as only mainland European countries are allowed to vote in the European Parliament.

Now this bloke isn't a UKIP member and doesn't spend all his time on far-right websites so where does he get all this fake news from?

Surely it can't all be from facebook?

Same as James O'briens latest trick, getting callers to say ONE EU law that they would like to wake up the day after brexit and not have to live under.....not one person can name a single EU law that they want rid of

Just now, hobinfoot said:

some rules, all rules? you cant get benefits from friends without something in return

5 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

Correction - Norway has to abide by single market rules - it opts in and out of other EU legislation as they feel appropriate. The fact is, most of the time they feel it is appropriate to adopt EU legislation, turns out it makes sense a lot of the time?

5 minutes ago, tzijlstra said:

Correction - Norway has to abide by single market rules - it opts in and out of other EU legislation as they feel appropriate. The fact is, most of the time they feel it is appropriate to adopt EU legislation, turns out it makes sense a lot of the time?

just like we did the majority of the time....hmmmmm

12 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

They are not in the EU

So you lied.

17 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

What you really mean is, being like Norway is worse than being in the EU since we need to follow legislation to in the single market but have no say is creating them. 

Since when did we decide what is leaving and what isn’t?  Not having MEPs in the EU Parliament isn’t enough? Not having an EU Commissioner from the U.K. isn’t enough? Anymore?

Edited by ez8004

3 minutes ago, melthebell said:

just like we did the majority of the time....hmmmmm

It’s a lot less for Norway. About 75% of trade-related directives and about 30% in total of all EU laws and directives.

18 hours ago, RJRB said:

Can anyone explain to me how a time limit can be set and limited for the so called backstop.

If it is applied because agreement cannot be reached,surely it must remain effective until these differences are settled.(which on the evidence so far could be years).

If this is the main issue holding up a deal,then it seems to me it requires either the wisdom of Solomon or the cunning of Edmund Blackadder to solve the problem.

That would provide a 7 year period to arrive at a position where we don't need the backstop.

There would be a couple of changes in UK and EU governments during this time,  if neither side can produce the people to sort out a dealt then we really are all doomed and the backstop wont matter