The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

1 minute ago, melthebell said:

Spending on training has been on the slide in the UK for decades under numerous governments, Infact ironically a lot of our funding for training over the past 2/3 come from the EU

cue it appearing on the side of a bus shortly

Nice of the EU to give us some of our own money back init.

1 minute ago, retep said:

pity training may not get anything after march

1 minute ago, retep said:

As if the Tories would have spent it on training rather than tax cuts for the top 5 - 10%.

4 minutes ago, retep said:

You know that we're going to be massively worse off after leaving.  We'll have LESS money.  Not even brexidiots are denying that anymore.

8 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Who is calling anybody thick - a Middlesbrough ex-steelworker is highly unlikely to have the qualifications or skills required to re-train as a nurse - or the inclination - Sheffield hospitals are hardly full of ex-steelworkers who retrained to be nurses.

I meant more generally, remainers calling leavers thick.

3 minutes ago, retep said:

Here's a question for you peter.

Would you prefer to see the UK government spend our money on a tax cut for Phillip Green or a kidney operation for a Hungarian doctor who has been working here for ten years?

1 minute ago, WiseOwl182 said:

I meant more generally, remainers calling leavers thick.

So have we established that the NHS recruiting doctors and nurses from abroad is unlikely to make much difference to job prospects for ex-steelworkers?

5 minutes ago, Longcol said:

As if the Tories would have spent it on training rather than tax cuts for the top 5 - 10%.

Ignoring the fact that the top 10% pay the lion's share of tax revenue, and that increasing tax rates for them actually decreases tax taken, if you don't like it you can vote them out. You can't vote the EU out. Well, you can try in a referendum but likely to get asked again until you give the right answer.

Just now, Longcol said:

So have we established that the NHS recruiting doctors and nurses from abroad is unlikely to make much difference to job prospects for ex-steelworkers?

Why are you obsessed with ex steelworkers? We should be offering more uni courses for doctors and nurses in this country and incentivising if necessary. Instead, we import them on the cheap.

11 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Why are you obsessed with ex steelworkers? We should be offering more uni courses for doctors and nurses in this country and incentivising if necessary. Instead, we import them on the cheap.

Well - let's see - who do you think the unemployed in pockets of high unemployment like Middlesbrough might include a fair number of?

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017/apr/26/different-world-middlesbrough-tees-valley-mayor-election

Edited by Longcol

13 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Well - let's see - who do you think the unemployed in pockets of high unemployment like Middlesbrough might include a fair number of?

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017/apr/26/different-world-middlesbrough-tees-valley-mayor-election

Why Middlesbrough? I'm saying spread the jobs throughout the UK, not just in London. I'm also saying train up our own young people, rather than import cheap labour.

1 hour ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Employment stats can hide things but even accepting that, there's still hundreds of thousands out of work. We're often told how we need immigration for the NHS. Why can't we do more to train up UK citizens as the doctors and nurses we need? Importing labour should be a last resort, not a default.

Given that we are enjoying such high employment levels under a Conservative government, I trust you won't be risking it by voting for Labour?

You realise that nurses now have to pay for their own training?

And that the EU is a major source of nurses to make up the increasing shortfalls?

May has created the perfect storm for the NHS

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I don't need to imply anything.

There is a lot of recent evidence to show that immigration has a negligible effect on education or healthcare.

Again, all I'm hearing is xenophobic dog whistle slogans!

It’s not dog whistle slogans, Britain’s infrastructure was not adequate to cope with the extra people via EU freedom of movement. It’s not the immigrants fault but it has caused issues. I have always said it’s the successive govts fault for not forseeing the problems.