The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

6 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

Yes it did but the leader of that government disappeared the next day after making numerous other false promises, and now we have a new government.

Despite all that the referendum was still advisory.

You could argue that there was a moral obligation for MPs to act on the result. I get that. They have acted and they’ve had a go at delivering. At the end of the day there was no legal obligation to deliver Brexit until it was passed into law, and even that law can be easily reversed.

They have had no go at delivering.  

To go against the people can only end very badly.  It will at least cause people to turn away from our untrustworthy politicians and likely cause a massive surge to the far right and no doubt some very regrettable scenes.  I don't want that but I regret, once again, our politicians have not got a handle on the strength of feeling about this, as so far, the Leave camp has been relatively silent. 

12 minutes ago, Lex Luthor said:

I don't want globalisation, and the EU is partly responsible for that. I don't want decisions that effect this country being made by people who don't even live here. 

I don't want a European Army,  and I don't want my kids to be forced to do national service, like happens in Germany.   

An EU government is too far removed from me.  It doesn't hear what I want. 

The EU parliament is a ridiculous waste of money.  So much so, it's become a parody of itself. 

It might be that my wishes, coincidentally are the same as a few rich businessmen but for me the gains are too important to worry too much about that.  You've only got to look at our own parliamentary history to discover some very unholy alliances in the past. 

BIG isn't working for the ordinary people and it's definitely not working for our planet. Let's be little again.  It doesn't mean we can't be friends and allies. 

An EU army makes just as much sense as our current position as an extension of US forces.  We can’t afford to run what we’ve got so co-operation with nations on our doorstep makes a lot of sense - to them too. We won’t have national service, that’s in the hands of our inept politicians - that’s a phrase I’ll likely repeat as I go along.

our government is no less removed from us than the eu. They care little for the north of England - just look at how our inept politicians have handled things like the electrification of midland mainline. I could go on and on on that one.

the eu costs a lot - probably more than should (I’ll give you that one ;))

But globalisation his here to stay. It works for millions and has brought millions up from real poverty - certainly at a global level. But we aren’t small. We’ve not really been small since the Middle Ages, and we’ve punched above our weight for centuries, but those heady days where we sailed round the world taking what we want has gone. If we leave the EU we will be a lot smaller. And small gets stepped on.

You make some good points but I have to disagree that globalisation is lifting people out of poverty.  People may have more stuff they don't need but they are just as poor, if not poorer for it. 

Small is faster and more agile and has less way to fall. 

26 minutes ago, Lex Luthor said:

I don't want globalisation, and the EU is partly responsible for that. I don't want decisions that effect this country being made by people who don't even live here. 

I don't want a European Army,  and I don't want my kids to be forced to do national service, like happens in Germany.   

An EU government is too far removed from me.  It doesn't hear what I want. 

The EU parliament is a ridiculous waste of money.  So much so, it's become a parody of itself. 

It might be that my wishes, coincidentally are the same as a few rich businessmen but for me the gains are too important to worry too much about that.  You've only got to look at our own parliamentary history to discover some very unholy alliances in the past. 

BIG isn't working for the ordinary people and it's definitely not working for our planet. Let's be little again.  It doesn't mean we can't be friends and allies. 

Give me a single piece of EU legislation that has been forced upon us that our government voted against that you do not like. 

What does national service in Germany have to do with our armed forces? Do you even understand what the proposals of a so called EU army are? How they are supposed to operate? Obviously not because your statements make no sense. 

The EU Parliament is a waste of money? How exactly?

Just now, Lex Luthor said:

You make some good points but I have to disagree that globalisation is lifting people out of poverty.  People may have more stuff they don't need but they are just as poor, if not poorer for it. 

Tell that to about half a billion Indians.  They still don’t do very well at feeding it’s extreme poor but it’s way better than it was as little as 20 years ago.  Now the fact that this government has seen fit in 2018 to appoint a minister for hunger , due to their own policies shows that the finger of blame needs to be pointed inwards  and not out.

14 minutes ago, Lex Luthor said:

They have had no go at delivering.  

To go against the people can only end very badly.  

How are they going against the people?

15 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Tell that to about half a billion Indians.  They still don’t do very well at feeding it’s extreme poor but it’s way better than it was as little as 20 years ago.  Now the fact that this government has seen fit in 2018 to appoint a minister for hunger , due to their own policies shows that the finger of blame needs to be pointed inwards  and not out.

It's both.  We have a crap set of politicians nationally and in the EU. 

But here, we have a chance to rid ourselves of one bunch, so even if the EU ones were arguably better than our national ones, we need to take this opportunity, and then take every opportunity to rid us of our national ones. 

Merkel and Macron already have too much power in this equation and in the future, as Germany is shifting to the right, and other EU countries are, who knows who could be sitting in their seats. 

15 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Us leaving the EU would arguably help India much more

Edited by Lex Luthor
I can't do this new forum!

13 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

How are they going against the people?

By not respecting the results of the referendum, as was promised. 

3 minutes ago, Lex Luthor said:

It's both.  We have a crap set of politicians nationally and in the EU. 

But here, we have a chance to rid ourselves of one bunch, so even if the EU ones were arguably better than our national ones, we need to take this opportunity, and then take every opportunity to rid us of our national ones. 

Merkel and Macron already have too much power in this equation and in the future, as Germany is shifting to the right, and other EU countries are, who knows who could be sitting in their seats. 

Us leaving the EU would arguably help India much more. 

Indeed it will. A trade deal will involve 500k with visas on a yearly basis heading this way. I’d guess most will educated, English speaking, hungry for work and sending money back home.

2 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Any.

Really? Point me to the rules that say that people are free to move anywhere in the EU for any purpose

44 minutes ago, Lex Luthor said:

You might have voted for brexit because you dislike globalisation but the people implementing it view the EU as protectionist and as an impediment to further globalisation.

Whether your kids would be forced to do national service would be up to our government. Germany got rid of conscription in 2011 and there was always the option of doing alternatives to military service.

It might be that my wishes, coincidentally are the same as a few rich businessmen but for me the gains are too important to worry too much about that.

Your wishes are different to those rich businessmen - you just both see being in the EU as an impediment to achieving them. The people in charge of us leaving ARE amongst those rich businessmen.